💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Was ARTPOP overhyped?

VforVendetta

Featured Posts

yASSsss

i think the hype was just among the fans,or on pop forums.... Not many people knew about ARTPOP when it came out,or simply they didn't care :shrug: ..but i'm kinda glad that it didnt do well.Gaga has learnt from her mistakes and she will be back with full force this time :woohoo:  

Call me by your name and I'll call you by mine

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didymus

If I recall she was talking in general about how she wanted to make an App that would make her music a whole new experience. She didn't talk about AP back then  and we didn't make these assumptions before the official announcement that we got above.

Edited my post. Yes, she did. She even literally said that her album would only be a small part of her era in those perfume interviews.

gagzus

I know... It ewas so sad, but idk if its just from nostalgia but man that was so much fun. :rip:  I remember when she said ARTPOP was supposed to be gay Chicago trap, and the Azealia collab, and Ratchet with Beyoncè.. :giveup: 

We haven't had a chance to do that with LG5.m

Ratchet with Beyonce was a fan claim and overhype once again, Azealia was dropped for her bad attitude (which I'm glad she was tbh) and she never said that, she said it was going to be EDM (which it was) and the songs with Azealia were going to be like that.

VforVendetta

So, in your opinion, saying ARTPOP would be "the album of the millenium" isn't pretentious at all? :reductive2:

If you remember that tweet was just ironic and it was quoting the original ''Album of the decade'' claim from BTW, deriously noone gave attention to that. 

Didymus

the only failures the era had was the promises she broke but those weren't entirely her fault (although I still say she should've fired troy back when he never cared about her breaking her hip) the music was still good and it still competed with it's competitors and gave us 2 (technically 3 if we're going off charts alone) hit singles. I'm getting bored of fans trashing the era, dislike it yes but don't trash what was musically up to par.

I agree, her promises were overblown, but as were her promises for Born This Way such as singles, videos, various versions of songs, concepts etc etc but it doesn't make ARTPOP itself bad. People need to separate a respective era from an album like seriously.

But.. you're talking about something else rn :air:

This thread is about whether or not ARTPOP was overhyped, VforVendetta does not believe that ARTPOP was hyped similarly to BTW. You're telling me here that the era treatment was similar, so you should be on my side here :Chica:

& I'm not even trashing the era, just pointing out problems in it, there's a big difference.

Creyk

i think the hype was just among the fans,or on pop forums.... Not many people knew about ARTPOP when it came out,or simply they didn't care :shrug: ..but i'm kinda glad that it didnt do well.Gaga has learnt from her mistakes and she will be back with full force this time :woohoo:  

That's true.

I hope she will try extra hard with her next album and scores at least 3 BB #1 hits.

She needs new hits to be able to perform on her tours, she is obviously tired of performing Telephone for the hundredth time

VforVendetta

Edited my post. Yes, she did. She even literally said that her album would only be a small part of her era in those perfume interviews.

That's overhypping indeed if it is true. :smh: 

Still its not even close to the BTW Era hype.

I think that most of the ARTPOP Era was on point. On an Era that would have worked we would have taken most of these things we were promised.

Morphine Prince

Nothing out of the limits? :Chica:

261508155.png

Pls.

Omg stop. Reading this makes me so sad because the era didn't go as planned :rip: 

I hope LG5 goes smoothly and true to her vision. 

Literally from the first line of this page nothing went as planned as the single was released a week earlier omfg :rip: 

Didymus

Omg stop. Reading this makes me so sad because the era didn't go as planned :rip: 

I hope LG5 goes smoothly and true to her vision. 

Literally from the first line of this page nothing went as planned as the single was released a week earlier omfg :rip: 

Absolutely. Main priority for me omg :giveup:

GagaUnderYou

Fan bases will always overhype their favorite's new release. ARTPOP was on the road to success but honestly with the DWUW mess it kind of ruin the album's success. If the album was as successful commercially as TFM, you guys wouldn't refer to ARTPOP as overhyped. 

gagzus

But.. you're talking about something else rn :air:

This thread is about whether or not ARTPOP was overhyped, VforVendetta does not believe that ARTPOP was hyped similarly to BTW. You're telling me here that the era treatment was similar, so you should be on my side here :Chica:

& I'm not even trashing the era, just pointing out problems in it, there's a big difference.

Do i think it was overhyped - by fans amongst themselves yes but not by Gaga, her failure of her ideas were not her fault they were meant to happen but didn't bc of disagreements which ultimately led to troy quitting as her manager and however you take it is your own personal fault (i don't mean YOU specifically i mean you as in each of us if you get me).

But i'm pointing out how fans use their own overhype to say the music and the era was sh!t, when the music was good and the era was simply unorganized post-Applause because of Troy and Interscope, however it picked back up for a while during artRAVE & G.U.Y. but that was only temporary. Yes it's OT but it's true imo.

And I believe what @VforVendetta believes, and I think BTW was hyped up because of her being at her peak, the first week sales (even without the Amazon deal) prove that and AP wasn't because of the backlash she had for supporting the gay community even more and from starting to move away from her old aesthetic of mystery and all the scrutiny and criticism she had post-btw into pre-ARTPOP. I think beyond the fans, it had the right amount of hype, it had her second highest first week sales of all her albums (and still does even after C2C) and the sales only stopped rolling in because of the anti-lady gaga bandwagon that started in mid-late 2012 thanks to trolling being the new in thing to do online & sometimes irl.

So in short- I don't believe it was overhyped, and a fan who believes it was overhyped is their own fault from their own expectations in 2012 & early 2013. 

VforVendetta

But i'm pointing out how fans use their own overhype to say the music and the era was sh!t, when the music was good and the era was simply unorganized post-Applause because of Troy and Interscope, however it picked back up for a while during artRAVE & G.U.Y. but that was only temporary. 

Applause was as unorganised as the rest. The song and leaked and they released it early, the VMA performance was changed in the last minute, it didn't have a good radio deal for a lead singe and the mist important part, it had no promo outside of the US/Japan. If Applause got the promo that DWUW got WW it had potential to become bigger than TEOG WW which said a lot for the moment and the circumstances it was released. Gaga had a success with Applause and decided not to promote it WW (for the chart followers that remember the UK airplay dropped the song in like 2 weeks) and then she made DWUW a single, made good promo WW and when the song gave signs of big WW success she never released a video.

A MESS

Archived