💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Music not the bling? Why not music AND the bling?

Kanye West

Featured Posts

Yes, it's your opinion and it's respectable. I find Gaga more unique and more an artist than Madonna, my opinion as well.

You don't elaborate on why Gaga's more unique and 'more of an artist', though.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
VforVendetta

Nevermind brought alternative rock to the mainstream and was a movement of its own that actually paved a valid legacy. It's incomparable to ARTPOP's case. It had no impact whatsoever.

I like ARTPOP, I think it's an alright album.

There were some alternative albums before but indeed it was not a good example.

Let's use a classic rock album like Let It Bleed by Rolling Stones, it's considered one of their best albums and a great rock album in general. It was no innovation for that time, it was solid Rock music of it's decade. No innovation, just quality and artistic integrity.

Anyway it feels like you try too hard to bring ARTPOP down when there is no need, as I said time is the judge. Maybe you are right and maybe you are wrong. In a decade EMD will probably pass it's reign on a different style of music, then it will be much easier for everyone to judge what was worth it and what wasn't.

There were some alternative albums before but indeed it was not a good example.

Let's use a classic rock album like Let It Bleed by Rolling Stones, it's considered one of their best albums and a great rock album in general. It was no innovation for that time, it was solid Rock music of it's decade. No innovation, just quality and artistic integrity.

Anyway it feels like you try too hard to bring ARTPOP down when there is no need, as I said time is the judge. Maybe you are right and maybe you are wrong. In a decade EMD will probably pass it's reign on a different style of music, then it will be much easier for everyone to judge what was worth it and what wasn't.

I'm not trying to bring ARTPOP down (and it's not like I need to lol), I'm simply providing my thoughts on the topic in hand...which are not false. The singles were safe and designed to be hits, there is nothing groundbreaking musically in order for her to make such statements. I just don't see the point in pretending to be something you're not.

"music not the bling" was just a cop out, all it really was: "Im going to say this music is super artistic and experimental which is why it will not sell well".

TFM is the perfect example of "music and the bling" lol great quality music and great sales, the 2 aren't mutually exclusive.

Not a cop out. ARTPOP was not super experimental. ARTPOP sold relatively well. 

I'm not trying to be condescending here, but did you watch the SXSW interview? Because she spells it all out nicely in that interview. She's not psychic. She doesn't know if what she wants to make will sell like The Fame did. She makes music because she loves to, not because she wants to cut herself and everyone at interscope a fat check. Otherwise they would've hired Sia to write her songs and Max Martin to produce them a looooooong time ago. 

VforVendetta

You don't elaborate on why Gaga's more unique and 'more of an artist', though.

I can give you songs of Gag athat I find better like you did with Madonna but since you are a Gaga fan there is no point in that.

I feel that Gaga is more of an artist cause she makes Pop music but Pop music with her own imperfections, ideas and aims. She performs with many other artists great older  and shares her passion with them, they all together give things to music culture.

I feel that everything Madonna did in her career from her debut to her last efford is for the sake of success. I have always felt her attitude as success hungry, even her more quality works like ROL or even her controversies like Erotica, I always felt that she made them so that she could then add these achivements to her catalogue. I feel that she always followed her mind and never her heart. This is why her career has always been on point more and she is still successful after all these years but this is why I always felt she was more of a bussiness woman than an artist. She never lost her chance to call herself Queen. 

You can argue to all these and you can be as right as I am. The thing is that you can't change the impression she always gave to me and the feelings she created to me about her career. I have heard this same argument from many people and I do thing it's valid. Many people love Madonna for what she is and many others like me prefer other type of artists. 

i knowww it's kind of long, but if you're gonna make arguments against "music not the bling," at least watch this video first. 

Swan Heart

ugh :neyde:

They say it's the last song. They don't know us, you see. It's only the last song if we let it be.

VforVendetta

I'm not trying to bring ARTPOP down (and it's not like I need to lol), I'm simply providing my thoughts on the topic in hand...which are not false. The singles were safe and designed to be hits, there is nothing groundbreaking musically in order for her to make such statements. I just don't see the point in pretending to be something you're not.

In Pop music the singles are designed to be hits, their job is to promote the album and to appeal on people. The statement music not the bling has nothing to do with ''experimental'' singles or something.

djBuffoon

It's a very easy statement to misunderstand, which is I think what's happening here.

She is saying that the creativity of songwriting (and music) is what drives her, not the pursuit of money.

giskardsb

'Music not the bling' say the people  who think that Gaga is over

Gret6.gif

or the people who don't give a **** if other people think she's over.

I can give you songs of Gag athat I find better like you did with Madonna but since you are a Gaga fan there is no point in that.

I feel that Gaga is more of an artist cause she makes Pop music but Pop music with her own imperfections, ideas and aims. She performs with many other artists great older  and shares her passion with them, they all together give things to music culture.

I feel that everything Madonna did in her career from her debut to her last efford is for the sake of success. I have always felt her attitude as success hungry, even her more quality works like ROL or even her controversies like Erotica, I always felt that she made them so that she could then add these achivements to her catalogue. I feel that she always followed her mind and never her heart. This is why her career has always been on point more and she is still successful after all these years but this is why I always felt she was more of a bussiness woman than an artist. She never lost her chance to call herself Queen. 

You can argue to all these and you can be as right as I am. The thing is that you can;t change the impression she always gave to me and the feelings she created to me about her career. I have heard this same argument for many people and I do thing it's valid. Many people love Madonna for what she is and many others like me prefer other type of artists. 

That is simply untrue, though. Taking musical risks and exploring sounds that were not trendy at the time is not a conventional way to achieve success. As a matter of fact, Ray of Light (the album) brought EDM to the mainstream. It takes an artist with guts and quality music in order for such thing to happen. Did you even listen to the album? singing about finding a new religion, self discovery and her love for her new born daughter. I mean, how is that not personal? Madonna is a savvy marketer and a genius business woman. However, that reflects on her approach, self created formula and her instincts. Her music was anything but rooted in the need for success. Erotica is a career - ending album, yet she chose to make it. American Life had a political edge to it at a time when politics was an insanely sensitive topic, yet she chose to take the risk. Music was the only electronica album released by a high profile pop star at its year, yet, once again, she released it regardless. I don't understand how you came to that conclusion, taking risks is the exact opposite of aiming for success. She probably has the most personal pop discography of all time. Singing about her deepest s-xual desires, abandoning her original religion, her relationship with her father and much more...You're simply wrong.

kiwifromvenus

What even is "experimental music"? That's one thing I've never understood. How can music be experimental? 

Exactly thank you! And at the same time then isn't ALL music experimental too? Don't you have to experiment to make the music in the first place. So therefore all music is NOT experimental and ALL music is experimental :) Far out people p*** me off on here bagging out Mother Monster like she doesn't have a clue what shes doing. Breaking down exactly what she believes in and instills in us. You don't see her breaking us down.

:)

Dorothy Gale

Music not the bling is just an excuse for flopping :fat:

And yet Gaga has music AND bling compared to Marina.

Supersonic

I love how like 5 people have already pointed out that y'all misinterpreted the line and missed the point and nobody cares and keeps on arguing from their abstruse point of view. :smh:

I try to sell myself but I am really laughing
Because I just love the music not the bling

What's not to understand?

I'd rather be poor and happy than rich and alone
I'll write hit songs about you
No matter how we'll get through
I'll keep on singing for a living
But I wanna be in love
And I wanna be with you

I mean come on guys.... That particular lyric and message is not that hard...

Archived