đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Would Aura have been more successful than Applause as a lead single?

Warholian

Featured Posts

FATCAT

WTF

I'm not dissing your opinion because it's perfectly fine to like what you like, but...WTF? Aura is one of the weakest songs of the album imo, it's strange that someone likes it so much in comparison to the rest of the tracks on the album. I mean come on, even Donatella is better and plenty of ppl hate that 

Aura's production alone could wipe the floor with any song from ARTPOP. Maybe you just don't enjoy experimental electronic music, but Aura is amazing. I don't hate Donatella, but it isn't on my top 5 list from ARTPOP.

Purr more, hiss less.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
boyerased

Nope. Everyone I know whom I played the song to were creeped out by the first verse and that evil laugh although they said that the chorus is the strongest they heard from Gaga since BR. Imo Applause worked well. Had they planned to release DWUW from the very beginning as the 2nd single it would've went #1 then after that Venus. I can see Donatella and Gypsy being singles too. 

WTF

I'm not dissing your opinion because it's perfectly fine to like what you like, but...WTF? Aura is one of the weakest songs of the album imo, it's strange that someone likes it so much in comparison to the rest of the tracks on the album. I mean come on, even Donatella is better and plenty of ppl hate that 

I am just as baffled at you that you not only not think is one of the best songs on ARTPOP, but that you think Donatella is better. Aura is classic Gaga.

TEANUS

I feel like it depends tbh. It was a hit (and when I mean hit, I mean a SMASH) or a miss IMO. It obvious of would've went at least top 10 from fan sales. If it had the original lead single release that was planned (video premiere same day+GMA), I feel like it could've debuted at top 3. There would have been HUGE hype from the video premiere on GMA, plus the fact that it was the Telephone continuation, the streams could've propelled it to the top 3. 

If people had listened to it until the chorus, it would've smashed, but, if people didn't give it a chance, it would've flopped IMO. However, I feel like the intro+first verse and the transition in between was enough to capture your attention and at least say, "well that's interesting, I wanna hear this". 

So, my final answer, yes. I feel like it would've smashes if released as the lead single with the original plan. That chorus is orgasmic, everyone I play it for loves it, plus, despite what others say, it's classic Gaga

British social ladies with upturned pinkies, glasses clinking // xoxoTEANUS

It easily would've caught on if it had a radio edit taking out the Intro. And with a remix with Beyoncé, forget it, destruction to the charts. It was easily going to be the Telephone sequel and would've ridden off that alone.

No one knows the verses to Applause, just the chorus. Aura's chorus is one of the best off the album after Venus and Sexxx Dreams. 

Plus Aura is a lot easier to remix than Applause.

BYE

DrewStevens

Love game rings a very-large disco-stick shaped bell. Sexual lyrics are nothing in the 21-st century.

LoveGame had the least airplay from all 'The Fame' singles tho. Also Aura has the word 's-x' which is apparently way more offensive than 'ride your disco stick' 

TimisaMonster

Yes....for a huge comeback that fans and the GP were expecting after her hip injury...Aura was the song we all dreamed of and never saw coming!!!

Plus, Gaga giving strong hints that it was the Telephone continuation would've given great hype and promo to keep it rising on charts and get a great start to the era with a heavenly chorus, epic DEMO verses (yes I feel legally she had to change the verses cuz she leaked the demo which technically was the final version), and it is a quick song on radio...it was the perfect Gaga lead single everyone expected...only for us to get a safe and sub par single to Aura

I also think the controversy wouldn't have been as great as Judas seeing as she changed the title and lyrics to Aura and not Burqa

Plus...I can imagine us getting the real second single Venus after Aura and it would be another hit showcasing Gaga's production skills and she REALLY got into the vibe and atmosphere of the song and would've enjoyed promoting it...she tried even making a mini Venus era in the middle of DWUW promo...poor thing. The video also looked like it could've been amazing! 

Then GUY would've stood a greater chance and flowing perfectly after Venus...

Just follow the album tracklist people :giveup:

Stream my new single, đź’ś"Heartbeat"đź’ś, on Spotify!

djBuffoon

No. "Applause" is not necessarily a superior song, but it is simple without being stupid, multilayered without being pedantic, catchy as hell, and encapsulates the core of what ARTPOP (the album) means. They could not have picked a better lead single. 

Paper Gangsta

If she cut the intro and added another chorus after second verse/before bridge yes

monsterdreams

The chorus would be appreciated by radio but the intro and verses would have to be much more radio friendly and sung more simple 

Haters gonna need more than a flashlight for my shade

Gaga Monster

Aura maybe wouldn't have even made the top 10. Way to experimental!

GGD Presidential Elections

Laceface

her even saying that a collaboration with Beyonce was in the works for ARTPOP

Did she actually say this or are you speculating? 

Ladygagalover

Aura should've been a buzz single. Release it and the accompanying telephone continuation video as an introduction to the ARTPOP era. It would've given her a lot of positive media press before she released applause. Plus the video would've slayed. The truth is, Aura didn't stand a chance as a radio single, but it could've done great in clubs with some remixes and it would've given gaga more attention surrounding ARTPOP and applause.

Archived