💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Why Cheek to Cheek ERA is the true ARTPOP

Delete

Featured Posts

When comparing two bodies of work you can ultimately find a plethora of differences. 

Take ARTPOP and Cheek to Cheek for example. The intial album had a full scale launch with promotional platforms ranging from the VMA's, AMA's, and GMA; it even had a worldwide tour and it's own app. The latter, however, saw a complete genre shift, featured another artist (Bennett) and apart from one major performance runs a theatre tour. So why is Gaga being praised more for Cheek to Cheek versus ARTPOP? 

Here's why! 

In terms of aesthetic and artistry, Gaga's collaboration on Cheek to Cheek accomplished what ARTPOP failed to capitalize on: putting ART in the front and leaving POP in the back. With this collaboration, Gaga undergoes her pop superstar name while completely expressing her art in a more traditional and vocal way. ARTPOP, for all its pros, mirrors the same old stuff we've come to expect from Gaga: Crazy outfits, weird auto tuned vocals, complicated concepts/lyrics, and repetitive subject matter. 

Apart from her stunning vocal work on the album, Cheek to Cheek saw a more vulnerable and human Gaga as opposed to the pop idol that sometimes, didn't seem real. People outside of the fan universe responded well to such a reinvention, and because of it Gaga has garnered more critical praise than she has in years. 

It seemed as though Lady Gaga had finally took her own advice, "Sometimes the simplest move IS right". Do you think the Cheek to Cheek album/era reflects the meaning of ARTPOP better than its source material? Discuss:

Teri Hatcher

no

By the time you reach the end of this sentence, it'll be too late to realize I just wasted your time with a pointless sig.

TimisaMonster

Not even :laughga:

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

Didymus

Absolutely. Everything about this era was in function of the music. Everything about the ARTPOP era was about her struggles with her manager/label, a rather confusing message that she couldn't properly explain (even resorting to "I don't know what ARTPOP means"), a mix of hopelessly bland (Wizard of Oz @ GMA) and extreme (Robert Wilson @ Louvre) performances, attempts to create stirs for no other reason than to annoy and alienate her audience (collaborating on a song/video about involuntary physical touching with accused and convicted rapists; simulating a blowjob on R. Kelly @ SNL) and flip flopping interviews (from her post-Louvre BBC interview to the H&M store opening) paired with an unimaginative tour, fluctuating focuses on art endeavors on the one hand (her interview after her concert in Austin) and blatant commercial opportunities on the other (The Muppets special and ripping off her fans, trying to get a better Hot 100 position).

The album was ****ing great.

But everything I wrote above will be what I will remember the era for.

LoveandMagic

Well, that's certainly food for thought. As far as ARTPOP is concerned I sort of agree with what you're saying. I did really enjoy the album, tour, and several performances though.  I think she had an idea how she originally wanted the ARTPOP era to go in terms of sound, themes, and performances (with more emphasis on the art) but too many problems caused too many missed (or failed) opportunities. She also seemed to suffer from depression, lack of management, etc, so who knows how the era was as she originally envisioned. 

I do give her massive credit for Cheek to Cheek. A lot of people said "don't" or "too soon", but the era was flawless, the performances were flawless, and it was a great chance for her to feel safe (thanks to Tony) and therefore truly free, and really express her talent, from her shining vocals to her charisma on stage. She was able to do a lot with so little, which not many of her contemporaries can. And Jazz was the "Pop" of it's day. It can be catchy or sentimental and with similar (though subtler) themes. 

Hopefully the confidence and wisdom she gained from both eras will carry on well for the next one.

Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show. I should really just relax."

RAMROD

No though.

Cheek To Cheek is C2C and ARTPOP is ARTPOP.

As much as people want to believe your theory that isn't true.

ART in ARTPOP was much more than sonic experience but visual as well.

She might seems being too literal with it such aa wearing dress with gigantic Monalisa on it, or that illusion piece on ARTPOP CD, and the Koons statue,  but that is her vision like it or not.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Lona Delery

no

this sums it up

Sometimes it feels like I've got a war in my mind, I wanna get off but I keep riding the ride

Tokyo Rose

C2C is a covers album, I don't think of it in the some terms as her other albums

crisTEAne

(1) Cheek to Cheek accomplished what ARTPOP failed to capitalize on: putting ART in the front and leaving POP in the back.

(2) With this collaboration, Gaga undergoes her pop superstar name while completely expressing her art in a more traditional and vocal way. 

(3) It seemed as though Lady Gaga had finally took her own advice, "Sometimes the simplest move IS right". 

(1) the ARTPOP concept was never about "leaving POP in the back." the warholian ideal did not put POP in the front either. if anything, POPART and ARTPOP aimed at challenging the very idea of hierarchy existing between high culture/art and low culture/art

(2) "completely expressing" and "in a traditional way" do not work for her: C2C is an essential part of her, but that is all. therefore, neither can it reflect nor can it be a means of expressing her artistry completely

(3) in my interpretation, her simplest move was not to give a **** about the expectations of the music industry and the general public projected onto her. that is, she simply stayed true to herself and to her visions

so nope, i do not think so :hunty:

if you hurt taylor swift, i'll hurt you back

(1) the ARTPOP concept was never about "leaving POP in the back." the warholian ideal did not put POP in the front either. if anything, POPART and ARTPOP aimed at challenging the very idea of hierarchy existing between high culture/art and low culture/art

(2) "completely expressing" and "in a traditional way" do not work for her: C2C is an essential part of her, but that is all. therefore, neither can it reflect nor can it be a means of expressing her artistry completely

(3) in my interpretation, her simplest move was not to give a **** about the expectations of the music industry and the general public projected onto her. that is, she simply stayed true to herself and to her visions

so nope, i do not think so :hunty:

(1) You sound about as pretentious as her during the ARTPOP era. 

(2) ...So you feel. 

(3) And yet the she cried that her artistic vision was stifled by negative people handling her career, thus not being ABLE to stay true to herself and her visions. 

Oh, and you failed to realize the thesis of the thread. It was in my opinion that the Cheek to Cheek era (Music, Fashion, Performances) was a better representation of the word ARTPOP. 

crisTEAne

(1) You sound about as pretentious as her during the ARTPOP era. 

(2) ...So you feel. 

(3) And yet the she cried that her artistic vision was stifled by negative people handling her career, thus not being ABLE to stay true to herself and her visions. 

Oh, and you failed to realize the thesis of the thread. It was in my opinion that the Cheek to Cheek era (Music, Fashion, Performances) was a better representation of the word ARTPOP. 

(1) that's not an argument. or should i say, "so you feel?"

(2) i do

(3) still, she managed to work with jeff, marina, and bob. the g.u.y. video in itself proves that she tried to stay true to herself and her visiosn as much as she could. but if it does not convince you, i put it differently: she get rid of troy. simple as that.

i perfectly understood your stance with which i disagree. reasons listed above. imo, C2C does not and could not represent the ARTPOP concept.

if you hurt taylor swift, i'll hurt you back

Archived