Why a self titled album is the best way to go

Versace

Featured Posts

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Head Empty

I don't really like self titled albums. 

Avril Lavigne & Britney Jean both flopped. 

They don't seem to do too good. 

Just because 2 examples didn't become succesful doesn't mean that the entire concept of self-titled albums is flawed :rip:

StrawberryBlond

No, because the statistics show that this theory doesn't work, regardless of its intentions.

The reason why there's been a deluge of self-titled albums recently is because of two reasons: a), the artist is running out of ideas or b) they're losing success and need to remind public who they are. Or both. Neither are good results. I'm not kidding, basically all the self-titled albums I've reviewed in the last 2 years that weren't debut releases were ok-terrible. Ironically, they tend not to represent the artist's "true" self well at all, are bland and forgettable. They've had a really bad reputation recently and I can't help but feel like the public will follow that perception onto Gaga if she does it. It would send out the wrong messages that we don't need - lack of originality and the need to be remind the public who she is. We want to send the message that Gaga is original and a superstar that no one ever forgot and a self-titled album won't help that.

Point is, why self-title an album that isn't your debut? The only understandable reason I could think of is if the artist has been under the thumb of their label for too long, have broken free and are now making the music they truly want to make, so a self-titled album says "This is the real me, the artist I always wanted to be, I'm proud to put my name on this music." However, the album hardly ever lives up to that hype and can be some of their worst ever work, so that concept falls flat. And self-titling an album after years of flopping certainly gives the impression of "Hey guys! Remember me?" and "I need to be re-branded and make people remember how to spell my name." Not a good impression if you want to be thought of as a star. I swear self-titled albums after such a long time must be forced upon the artist by the label in an attempt to re-brand them. Can't think why any self-respecting artist would do it voluntarily.

Slayer

No, because the statistics show that this theory doesn't work, regardless of its intentions.

The reason why there's been a deluge of self-titled albums recently is because of two reasons: a), the artist is running out of ideas or b) they're losing success and need to remind public who they are. Or both. Neither are good results. I'm not kidding, basically all the self-titled albums I've reviewed in the last 2 years that weren't debut releases were ok-terrible. Ironically, they tend not to represent the artist's "true" self well at all, are bland and forgettable. They've had a really bad reputation recently and I can't help but feel like the public will follow that perception onto Gaga if she does it. It would send out the wrong messages that we don't need - lack of originality and the need to be remind the public who she is. We want to send the message that Gaga is original and a superstar that no one ever forgot and a self-titled album won't help that.

Point is, why self-title an album that isn't your debut? The only understandable reason I could think of is if the artist has been under the thumb of their label for too long, have broken free and are now making the music they truly want to make, so a self-titled album says "This is the real me, the artist I always wanted to be, I'm proud to put my name on this music." However, the album hardly ever lives up to that hype and can be some of their worst ever work, so that concept falls flat. And self-titling an album after years of flopping certainly gives the impression of "Hey guys! Remember me?" and "I need to be re-branded and make people remember how to spell my name." Not a good impression if you want to be thought of as a star. I swear self-titled albums after such a long time must be forced upon the artist by the label in an attempt to re-brand them. Can't think why any self-respecting artist would do it voluntarily.

Just out of interest, what self-titled albums are you talking about?  

I wouldn't be opposed to a self-titled album, to be honest. I'd like a really simplified era where the music speaks for itself. 

I love judas SO MUCH but I canʹt look like a copycat of JLO!!!!

StrawberryBlond

Just out of interest, what self-titled albums are you talking about?  

I wouldn't be opposed to a self-titled album, to be honest. I'd like a really simplified era where the music speaks for itself. 

From 2013-14: Demi, Avril Lavigne, Britney Jean, Beyonce, Shakira, Pixie Lott, Black Veil Brides...All of them range from ok to mediocre (I know Beyonce fans are going to scalp me for this one, but it was close to a pass if that makes it better). And that's not even counting the self-titled debut albums. After several albums, it's like, why be that lazy? If you can't even be bothered to name it after one of your song titles or even after the album's number, how much effort have you put in to the rest of it? Self-titling gives the impression that you couldn't be invested enough to come up with a theme for the album or planned to make it stand for something, just random songs that mean nothing, so just slap your name on it and call it a day. I understand that Demi and Beyonce were likely going for something else with their titles, but still. As soon as I hear a self-titled release these days, I just think: "They're doomed."

Your comment about it being simplified if it's self-titled is crucial as well. I get the feeling some artists did this to make it clear it was going to be a simplified album but somehow confused this for boring, bland, easy listening, forgettable dirge.

Dorothy Gale

I'd prefer Barcode over Lady Gaga. Self-titled albums are so boring to me. With someone as creative as Gaga, a self-titled album is unacceptable.

Slayer

From 2013-14: Demi, Avril Lavigne, Britney Jean, Beyonce, Shakira, Pixie Lott, Black Veil Brides...All of them range from ok to mediocre (I know Beyonce fans are going to scalp me for this one, but it was close to a pass if that makes it better). And that's not even counting the self-titled debut albums. After several albums, it's like, why be that lazy? If you can't even be bothered to name it after one of your song titles or even after the album's number, how much effort have you put in to the rest of it? Self-titling gives the impression that you couldn't be invested enough to come up with a theme for the album or planned to make it stand for something, just random songs that mean nothing, so just slap your name on it and call it a day. I understand that Demi and Beyonce were likely going for something else with their titles, but still. As soon as I hear a self-titled release these days, I just think: "They're doomed."

Your comment about it being simplified if it's self-titled is crucial as well. I get the feeling some artists did this to make it clear it was going to be a simplified album but somehow confused this for boring, bland, easy listening, forgettable dirge.

That's true, but with Gaga I think it could be interesting to go the minimalist route. She couldn't make a bland album if she tried. I'm not saying she should definitely do a self-titled album, because I do see your point that it kind of seems like the artist has run out of ideas... but I would be more interested in a deeply personal album that doesn't try to shoehorn in a concept.

Dorothy Gale

That's true, but with Gaga I think it could be interesting to go the minimalist route. She couldn't make a bland album if she tried. I'm not saying she should definitely do a self-titled album, because I do see your point that it kind of seems like the artist has run out of ideas... but I would be more interested in a deeply personal album that doesn't try to shoehorn in a concept.

Gaga can make a deeply personal album without it being self-titled. Why not name it after her favorite song on the album? Or name it after an experience she had that inspired a number of the tracks? 

Slayer

Gaga can make a deeply personal album without it being self-titled. Why not name it after her favorite song on the album? Or name it after an experience she had that inspired a number of the tracks? 

Yeah I agree that would be better than a self-titled album.  

Stephen

I like the sentiments in the OP about the album being a personal statement rather than a "movement", but I would still prefer an actual album title. And I don't think Gaga would do that anyway, bc it's been done to death recently. 

Schwerk

Would be great but it could do the exact opposite of what you describe.

you see the name Gaga is not neutral like for example Britney or Madonna. I immediately think of fans complaining about C2C or her recent looks, saying she needs to be more Gaga. 

Gaga implies something because it makes people think about what is typically 'Gaga' and therefore they could have false expectations. Not to mention Gaga is not just a name, it's a word that actually means crazy, foolish, infatuated etc.

Now an album called Stefani. That's a whole other story. People (the GP) don't know Stefani, so they don't know what she's about. That would be interesting but I think she should go with something else. I do agree ARTPOP really confused a lot of people and set wrong expectations.

According to Gaga I'm a ****ing rad bitch

Riot Poof

Janet Jackson has three :neyde: 

janet.
Damita Jo
JANET (I think this is the title of her upcoming album?)

...Gags please no self titled album :pray: 

Let's not forget her very first album Janet Jackson. (Though I don't blame you if you forgot it. :hunty:)

Peter Gabriel has four. :saladga:

I'm not a woman. I'm not a man. I am something that you'll never understand.

Archived