Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Lady Gaga won't be a slave

Angel Down

Featured Posts

Harry

​Of course it's up to them http://gagadaily.com/uploads/default_awkney2.gif But that doesn't mean we can't judge their choice...Artists already make millions by writing music and performing.They REALLY don'tneed more than that. And no I don't want all music to be free.. I do buy music.I buy every single album that I enjoy and actually record sales still be pretty good.. Taylor Swift just sold 1,3m in one week before like 6 months.. So OBVIOUSLY artists can do whatever they like.But when people like Beyonce,Jay Z.and Rihanna that make 40.000.000+ a year ask for more money for their music,something is wrong imo..

​You're missing the point. Of course you can judge their choice, but what I'm saying is it's more than about JUST those elite artists.

When you think about the millions of recording artists across the world, how many of them are actually rich? How many musicians actually profit from record sales? A small percentage. We get the popular and successful ones shoved in our face all of the time that it's easy to forget about the people who will literally be happy if they sell like 2,000 copies of their album. And they'll still struggle to pay their rent.

If those big artists don't make an issue out of artists in general earning more for streaming, who will? You aren't going to listen to someone you've never heard of complain they don't earn enough from their music, and neither would I lol. This is why Tidal is important, because it's the leading artists of the industry banding together to fight for the rights of ALL musicians.

And you know what? Maybe it does come out of a place of greed on the part of Jay Z, Beyonce & whoever else. But none of us can know that for sure. Either way, they have the power to move music streaming into a more positive place for ALL artists, and I don't see how that's a bad thing.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fiona Apple

​You're missing the point. Of course you can judge the point, but what I'm saying is it's more than about JUST those elite artists.

When you think about the millions of recording artists across the world, how many of them are actually millionaires? How many musicians actually profit from record sales? We get the popular and successful ones shoved in our face all of the time that it's easy to forget about the people who will literally be happy if they sell like 2,000 copies of their album. And they'll still struggle to pay their rent.

If those big artists don't make an issue out of artists in general earning more for streaming, who will? You aren't going to listen to someone you've never heard of complain they don't earn enough from their music, and neither would I lol. This is why Tidal is important, because it's the leading artists of the industry banding together to fight for the rights of ALL musicians.

And you know what? Maybe it does come out of a place of greed on the part of Jay Z, Beyonce & whoever else. But none of us can know that for sure. Either way, they have the power to move music streaming into a more positive place for ALL artists, and I don't see how that's a bad thing.

​This is a real problem,yeah..But it WON'T be solved with tidal...Nobody is going to give attention to uknown artists anyway because that's the way it works.. It would be awesome if this could happen,but it won't..

Harry

​This is a real problem,yeah..But it WON'T be solved with tidal...Nobody is going to give attention to uknown artists anyway because that's the way it works.. It would be awesome if this could happen,but it won't..

​It's not the idea that unknown artists sell a million records and get rich as Beyonce, it's just for them to have a sustainable living.

It's all relative. Indie artists spend less to record & market their record, and in turn they earn less too, meaning it's enough for them to survive and continue their career. Major artists spend more to record & market, so they get a bigger audience, and they're often fine. The problem is, if the income for indie artists is already small and people really do end up abandoning buying music, they're gonna have to rely on getting $0.006 per stream on Spotify to put food on the table. And if they only get a few thousand streams per week, well... You do the math. It's bad.

And if Tidal can actually help artists earn more of what they deserve, then surely that is a good thing?

Fiona Apple

​It's not the idea that unknown artists sell a million records and get rich as Beyonce, it's just for them to have a sustainable living.

It's all relative. Indie artists spend less to record & market their record, and in turn they earn less too, meaning it's enough for them to survive and continue their career. Major artists spend more to record & market, so they get a bigger audience, and they're often fine. The problem is, if the income for indie artists is already small and people really do end up abandoning buying music, they're gonna have to rely on getting $0.006 per stream on Spotify to put food on the table. And if they only get a few thousand streams per week, well... You do the math. It's bad.

And if Tidal can actually help artists earn more of what they deserve, then surely that is a good thing?

​We don't know what artists will earn in tidal tho.. I am sure that indie artists will still get nothing .

Harry

​We don't know what artists will earn in tidal tho.. I am sure that indie artists will still get nothing .

​But the entire point of them setting up Tidal is that the artists/writers/producers get a bigger cut out of the profits in comparison to the label and service itself. You were complaining about that very fact a few pages ago, remember?

Obviously we don't know the exact percentages, but it's obviously going to be more than services like Spotify when it's been set up by artists.

Fiona Apple

​But the entire point of them setting up Tidal is that the artists/writers/producers get a bigger cut out of the profits in comparison to the label and service itself. You were complaining about that very fact a few pages ago, remember?

Obviously we don't know the exact percentages, but it's obviously going to be more than services like Spotify when it's been set up by artists.

​Yeah but Beyonce and Nicki Minaj get A LOT of views.These indie artists will still not get money cause of the poor views..Anyway time will show.

Harry

​Yeah but Beyonce and Nicki Minaj get A LOT of views.These indie artists will still not get money cause of the poor views..Anyway time will show.

​Let me redirect you back to this post 

It's all relative. They'll at least stand a chance with Tidal offering artists more in comparison to getting less than half a cent per stream from Spotify.

Archived