Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Did the hipster movement hurt Gaga?

Dorothy Gale

Featured Posts

StrawberryBlond

Don't be hating on Lana, everyone. Yes, there's hipsters that like her, but then there's people like me who just love her great music and love all music regardless of who it's by.

I think I get the hipster angle here. Gaga was really mainstream up until BTW, which put her into the more experimental artist category. She was then deemed as too weird, which increased her hipster status and by the time ARTPOP was released, she was considered by many to be so try-hard and redundant, so the album didn't sell too great. After that, she was stuck in the very unfortunate position of being too mainstream for the indie crowd and too experimental for the mainstream crowd. It's a pity that true music lovers, who can appreciate good music from anyone of any level of popularity, are actually very rare. Luckily, C2C and her Oscars performance are even-ing out her reputation nicely and putting her on a level playing field again where anyone could like her.

1blueshe

Don't be hating on Lana, everyone. Yes, there's hipsters that like her, but then there's people like me who just love her great music and love all music regardless of who it's by.

I think I get the hipster angle here. Gaga was really mainstream up until BTW, which put her into the more experimental artist category. She was then deemed as too weird, which increased her hipster status and by the time ARTPOP was released, she was considered by many to be so try-hard and redundant, so the album didn't sell too great. After that, she was stuck in the very unfortunate position of being too mainstream for the indie crowd and too experimental for the mainstream crowd. It's a pity that true music lovers, who can appreciate good music from anyone of any level of popularity, are actually very rare. Luckily, C2C and her Oscars performance are even-ing out her reputation nicely and putting her on a level playing field again where anyone could like her.

​I don't think there hating on Lana. I love Lana and her work so much but allot of her fans (people I know personally) only listen to her to be edgy or be deep and cause its (50 shades of) cool lol. She really dose make allot of amazing songs and videos but unfortunately she also attracted allot of bogger fans to.

XoXoJoanneGaga

Actual hipsters are unlikely to listen to any pop music. Lana and Lorde don't really have hipster fans, most of their real life fans are actually girls from what I've seen. 

But yes it's true that Gaga is a bit too weird for typical pop audiences but way too pop to attract other demographics in large quantities. It's always been that way although in the beginning her eccentricity gave her a cool factor that allowed her to rise above normal pop stars. It just didn't last.

Archived