music news

Billboard 200: Madonna's Rebel Heart debuts at #2

ViviLittleM

Featured Posts

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jester

We should be talking about the worst sales of all pop girls in last year and a half instead of if it's gonna be #1 or #2 imo.

Gaga was dragged through desert and hell for selling just as much as her peers while M will be praised just because it's #1... cuz she's an eternal Queen of Pop I guess

Fiona Apple

I hope she snatches that #1 so some of you will stop.png with the ''flop" comments.

​The album is a flop anyway.. I love it but it is.. 

Tropico

15K?!?!? Is that like additional streaming? Or is that iverall? :deadbanana: that CAN'T be overall, can it? :deadbanana::deadbanana: :deadbanana: 

♢ Social Justice Enthusiast ♢

Pure Adrenaline

She finally got that #1 

tumblr_njv3v9wsZi1s0jg47o1_500.jpg

Mess it's not too hard to get it either.

​the #1 is still not certain

It's much more fun to have hizophrenia... u never get lonely

Yanko

15K?!?!? Is that like additional streaming? Or is that iverall? :deadbanana: that CAN'T be overall, can it? :deadbanana::deadbanana: :deadbanana: 

​18 %

ViviLittleM

We should be talking about the worst sales of all pop girls in last year and a half instead of if it's #1 or #2 imo.

Gaga was dragged through desert and hell for selling just as much as her peers while M will be praised just because it's #1... cuz she's an eternal Queen of Pop I guess

​She's not praised at all in the UK :x with her #2

We'll see with US

U.K. sales:

Sam Smith came from behind to win a spectacular Mother's Day double on Sunday, with debut album In The Lonely Hour trouncing midweek chart leader Madonna, and his new Comic Relief version of Lay Me Down, re-cast as a duet with John Legend, springing to the top of the singles chart, in which Flo Rida was the midweek leader.

Undoubtedly benefitting both from Mother's Day gift-buying and his performance (with Legend) of Lay Me Down on BBC1's Red Nose Day coverage of Comic Relief, In The Lonely Hour increased sales by 48.70% week-on-week to 49,482 copies - including 3,611 streaming sales - to destroy Madonna's ambition of topping the chart with new album, Rebel Heart. Its biggest weekly sale for 10 weeks propels In The Lonely Hour to its eighth week at number one in all, and raise its cumulative sales (excluding streams) to 1,574,044. In The Lonely Hour has never spent more than two weeks in a row at number one, and its latest rally starts its sixth separate reign atop the chart. The only albums to have more spells at number one in the whole of chart history are Simon & Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Water, Adele's 21 and Emeli Sande's Our Version Of Events.

Madonna had been expected to debut atop the album chart with Rebel Heart - her first new studio set in nearly three years. It was way ahead in Tuesday's sales flashes, with sales of 20,078, nearly three times as many as any other album, but it faded very fast, and even with a spike in downloads as the week ended, following her appearance on The Jonathan Ross Show on Saturday, its full week sales as it debuted at number two were a very disappointing 37,245, including 416 from streams.

It sold fewer copies on its first week in the shops than any Madonna studio album in more than 20 years, falling short even of the 42,041 copies that Bedtime Stories sold debuting and peaking at number two in 1994. We should, however, qualify that by mentioning the Evita soundtrack album - not strictly a Madonna solo album - sold only 24,674 copies when debuting at number seven ahead of the film's release in 1996, finally topping the chart 12 weeks later. In 2005, Confessions On The Dance Floor gave Madonna her highest ever weekly sale of 217,610.

The Evita album - which also includes several tracks on which Madonna doesn't perform, with vocals from Antonio Banderas, Jonathan Pryce and Jimmy Nail, among others - brings us to another bone of contention. Madonna has had more number one albums than any other solo artist if we include Evita - 12. If we don't, then she is equal with Elvis Presley and Robbie Williams, who have both had 11. Ahead of Madonna in terms of number one albums lie only The Beatles, with 15.

Madonna's last studio album, MDNA, opened at number one on sales of 56,335 copies in March 2012 but tumbled to number seven on its second week, never appeared in the Top 10 again, and has sold only 134,803 copies to date, making it her lowest selling studio album.

In the short term, Rebel Heart will lengthen Madonna's lead over her rivals as this century biggest selling female artist. Prior to the release of Rebel Heart, her 792 week 21st century total sale of 7,653,480 (including 86,788 Evita sales) was enough for her to top the list ahead of Pink (7,377,310), Rihanna (7,084,988) and Adele (6,979,902).

As of 7 March 2015, Madonna is the century's 12th biggest seller, behind Robbie Williams (15,464,202), Coldplay (11,955,164), Westlife (11,871,186), Take That (11,388,271), Michael Buble (10,084,185), Eminem (9,844,245), Rod Stewart (9,353,186), Michael Jackson (9,243,018), The Beatles (8,834,981) and Oasis (7,894,460). Totals include interview albums. It would arguably be as valid to add some Take That sales to Williams' tally, to credit Eminem's D12 duties, to add more than a million to The Beatles tally to arrive at a higher figure for Paul McCartney, and so on. I have not done this, although if an album has a joint credit (Michael Jackson and The Jacksons, Rod Stewart & The Faces being the most obvious examples) full sales have been added. There is no definitive way of doing this and, hey, it's just for fun.

ViviLittleM

if i buy a copy now, will it still count?

flop stan :madge: im out of coins

​for next week position.

Daenerys

music, american life and confessions on the dance floor are better than rebel heart 

listen to those albums please 

​Confessions always slays me! Her BEST!

tumblr_m3kzt3C92B1rvwq31o1_500.gif

Daenerys of the House Targaryen, the First of Her Name, The Unburnt, Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Queen of Meereen

Archived