đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
debate

Was Applause the best possible choice for the lead single?

Dorothy Gale

Featured Posts

androiduser

In my opinion, it wasn't, and it was one of the reasons the album underperformed.

I would have chosen Gypsy as the lead.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sexxx Dreams should've been the lead

LADY GAGA/madonna/katy perry/little mix/ariana grande/selena gomez/britney spears/taylor swift

Interlude

I believe so yeah

#BlackLivesMatter #TransLivesMatter - You let down members of the community and forced us out.

Nope. Aura had the potential to be a Bad Romance caliber single IMO. Applause is a good radio single, but very safe by her standards. Guaranteed to do well, but not great.

degenerate

Sexxx Dreams should've been the lead

​There's an Applause-era interview where she says her and the label were deciding between Applause & Sexxx Dreams.

Dorothy Gale

Nope. Aura had the potential to be a Bad Romance caliber single IMO. Applause is a good radio single, but very safe by her standards. Guaranteed to do well, but not great.

​THIS! People seem to have forgotten that Gaga's success in Bad Romance was partially because of how different it was from most pop songs at the time. 

blacklistedd

I am really questioning this. Most of the people I talked to said that it was catchy, but left something to be desired. I kind of agree, it's not the easiest song to relate to, but the beat does slay. I just think she should have released something more experimental from the album, like Aura or Do What U Want. Applause seemed like what the public would expect from Gaga. 

​I think releasing anything off this album is what the public would've expected from her. That was one of my criticisms of this record actually, that it wasn't drastic enough of a departure from her past music to make itself its own critically viable entity. Not to say it was bad because I don't personally feel its musically as poor as some people try to argue, but the whole album left something to be desired in my not so humble opinion.

As for what could've been the lead single I think Applause was a fine enough choice. I think GUY, ARTPOP, Do What U Want, Sex Dreams or Venus all couldve been leads as well. Venus probably would've been the most positively divisive song she could've chosen as a lead since its such a grower. Do What U Want would've been divisive but moreso because of the connotations of the song and the fact that R. Kelly is featured (idc what anyone says, christinas version was totally random and unnecessary and she added nothing to the song).

Dorothy Gale

​I think releasing anything off this album is what the public would've expected from her. That was one of my criticisms of this record actually, that it wasn't drastic enough of a departure from her past music to make itself its own critically viable entity. Not to say it was bad because I don't personally feel its musically as poor as some people try to argue, but the whole album left something to be desired in my not so humble opinion.

As for what could've been the lead single I think Applause was a fine enough choice. I think GUY, ARTPOP, Do What U Want, Sex Dreams or Venus all couldve been leads as well. Venus probably would've been the most positively divisive song she could've chosen as a lead since its such a grower. Do What U Want would've been divisive but moreso because of the connotations of the song and the fact that R. Kelly is featured (idc what anyone says, christinas version was totally random and unnecessary and she added nothing to the song).

​That is completely untrue, ARTPOP is completely different sounding that TF, TFM and BTW. People only say that because they can't think of anything to criticize. 

Yanko

no 

applause is nothing special it sounds like a calvin harris reject sorry not sorry 

AccountClosed

I think it was, Gaga always releases a song that even though doesn't reflect the entire album, it's sort of like a *first d--g experience for the rest of the album* or something along those words that she said... I.E. Just Dance, Born This way and Applause.

Archived