Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Björk refuses to put new album "Vulnicura" on Spotify

Memo

Featured Posts

Whispering

she wouldnt have sold much less with spotify, she just has her head up her own ass

You don't know that.

Other artists, such as Coldplay, Beyoncé, Sam Smith and Adele have done the same...at least initially.

Yeah...they are all hurting for sales. Lol

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But maybe Netflix is a good model. You go first to the cinema and after a while it will come on ­Netflix. Maybe that’s the way to go with streaming. It’s first physical and then maybe you can stream it later.

Oh MY God

Problem  = solved

StrawberryBlond

She makes great points but ultimately, I just can't agree with these actions of late. I wish they'd stop trying to claim it's nothing to do with money because it obviously plays a role in some capacity. I can see the point of major sellers not complying because they could really lose out on sales which is precious to them but someone like Bjork, who's of indie level these days, barely sell anything to begin with, Spotify or not, so what's the harm in using it to get your music out there? And Vulnicura was leaked and shortly thereafter put up for digital sale since January, so I'm sure all the fans have bought it now anyway. Spotify is an amazing way to get your music heard in an extremely difficult sales market and in a world where so many albums are released that no one can buy them all. And remember that touring makes up for a lot of lost sales. Bon Jovi's last album sold peanuts and they can't get hit singles anymore but their tour pulled in $247 million worldwide with just 102 dates. Beyonce just did a greatest hits compilation with her latest tour and had no new work to support it and yet it pulled in $230 million and became her most successful tour ever. Kate Bush did a bunch of sold out shows in London of all her old material and sales of her past work skyrocketed afterwards.

Point is, you can't just release an album, sit back and expect it to sell like the old days. You have to work your ass off in this current climate. But put in the effort and you will be rewarded with sales, even if your work is being streamed for free. All the biggest albums of the year are all over YouTube, as they have been long before Spotify was invented, so you can't say that having your songs freely available online is the sole reason why you can't sell. Certain artists need to get off their high horse and get into the real world where you don't have the income to buy every single album out there so you have no choice but to pick and choose your favourites through listening to them for free before you buy. So many artists just knock the ball out the park with the singles but the rest of the album is all mediocre filler anyway. They're ripping us off and I for one don't stand for it. I only blindly purchase music from my absolute favourites and everyone else gets a free listen first. As an amateur music critic, I need to have an outlet to listen to music for free anyway. Artists are just afraid of Spotify because they're worried people will hear their music for free, realise it's crap and be thankful that they didn't waste money buying it. It's that simple. If 2014 was any indication, artists need to step up their game BIG TIME if they want us to buy a complete album nowadays.

was anyone REALLY looking for it though?

get out go bash björk and her fans somewhere else

you literally stan allie x

She makes great points but ultimately, I just can't agree with these actions of late. I wish they'd stop trying to claim it's nothing to do with money because it obviously plays a role in some capacity. I can see the point of major sellers not complying because they could really lose out on sales which is precious to them but someone like Bjork, who's of indie level these days, barely sell anything to begin with, Spotify or not, so what's the harm in using it to get your music out there? And Vulnicura was leaked and shortly thereafter put up for digital sale since January, so I'm sure all the fans have bought it now anyway. Spotify is an amazing way to get your music heard in an extremely difficult sales market and in a world where so many albums are released that no one can buy them all. And remember that touring makes up for a lot of lost sales. Bon Jovi's last album sold peanuts and they can't get hit singles anymore but their tour pulled in $247 million worldwide with just 102 dates. Beyonce just did a greatest hits compilation with her latest tour and had no new work to support it and yet it pulled in $230 million and became her most successful tour ever. Kate Bush did a bunch of sold out shows in London of all her old material and sales of her past work skyrocketed afterwards.

Point is, you can't just release an album, sit back and expect it to sell like the old days. You have to work your ass off in this current climate. But put in the effort and you will be rewarded with sales, even if your work is being streamed for free. All the biggest albums of the year are all over YouTube, as they have been long before Spotify was invented, so you can't say that having your songs freely available online is the sole reason why you can't sell. Certain artists need to get off their high horse and get into the real world where you don't have the income to buy every single album out there so you have no choice but to pick and choose your favourites through listening to them for free before you buy. So many artists just knock the ball out the park with the singles but the rest of the album is all mediocre filler anyway. They're ripping us off and I for one don't stand for it. I only blindly purchase music from my absolute favourites and everyone else gets a free listen first. As an amateur music critic, I need to have an outlet to listen to music for free anyway. Artists are just afraid of Spotify because they're worried people will hear their music for free, realise it's crap and be thankful that they didn't waste money buying it. It's that simple. If 2014 was any indication, artists need to step up their game BIG TIME if they want us to buy a complete album nowadays.

oh look you too

RAMROD

I applaud her, YAAAASSS!!

Please more artists are this sane. :applause:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Dominic

:legend:

The hardest thing in this world is to live in it

DrewStevens

I would do the same... But it's obviously about the money, let's be a little more real and honest. This is their job, you don't work for free. Artists need to be more honest about this  and cut the "artist integrity" bs.

COLONiCPRiNXESS

But with the free version of Spotify you can't even listen to an album properly; it shuffles the tracklisting and adds those ****ing annoying suggested songs and all the ads. I pay for Spotify Premium so I don't feel guilty at all for streaming albums, because it's technically not for free. 

I do see where the queen is coming from though.

I would do the same... But it's obviously about the money, let's be a little more real and honest. This is their job, you don't work for free. Artists need to be more honest about this  and cut the "artist integrity" bs.

I mean, you can't just invalidate her reasons for taking it off Spotify. Maybe she really was offended by this :shrug:

​

Of course it's about the money, but at the end they earn money also with Spotify, like Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars are earning 100k $ a week with Spotify streams...

I agree with her only to not put it immediately, but at the end if people really want, they find other methods to download an album for free... At least with Spotify they earn money with streams, it's better than nothing or illegal downloads...

wahkeenasitka

I agree ..Spotify doesn't give them ****

​i totally agree as well... i pretty much never use spotify, unless i want to sample an album that i'm considering buying. i try to support artists with my money as much as possible. 

Archived