💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

VIDEO: 50 Cent spilling tea about the Kanye/Beck Grammy fiasco

Pure Adrenaline

Featured Posts

darkchylde

I don't agree with 0.50$. I believe the number of people involved in a record does not invalidate its meaning or its artistic proposal. I believe that just because Beck wrote/produced/etc the album by himself it doesn't mean it's a better album. BeyoncĂƒÆ’Â©'s put together some of the best songwriters in music nowadays to create an album that promotes amazing values while to me, Beck sounds nothing new. He sounds just like another overrated singer-songwriter, even on his firsts works (Loser? Did any of you fall for that? Really?).

So yes, he won AOTY. I don't get to decide if he deserved or not, I'm not even qualified to do so. But I don't believe his album was better than BeyoncĂƒÆ’Â©'s.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Miranda Sings

It has to do with artistic integrity. BeyoncĂƒÆ’Â©'s album is a product, made by many people, and aiming for the charts. Beck's album is a body of work made only by him.

WHO CARES IT'S MADE ONLY BY HIM. Beyonce's album is just as much a piece of art as Beck's is. The fact that he made it by himself doesn't it make it a superior work. It's really amazing that he did that, and he's clearly very talented, but that doesn't make his album better. I'm not saying that he didn't deserve to win, but the amount of people who worked on Beyonce's album doesn't make it less of an achievement or a "product", which may be the most pretentious thing I've ever heard. POP MUSIC IS ART TOO, and we as a fanbase should be able to recognize that.

darkchylde

I hate that argument. The award isn't for who produced more or who played more instruments or who wrote more songs. It's for Album of the Year. The number of songwriters, producers, or anything like that has nothing to do with the quality of Beyonce's album. It's fine to think that Beck had a better quality album, but the fact that he produced and wrote all the song doesn't make a better album per say. 

Amen. Prince plays like 40 instruments and no one's given him an AOTY. But once again, Prince's not a white straight man, so...

Redstreak

Lol, this forum is kinda working itself into a hole with that angle. If the new standard is doing the whole record by yourself then we can say goodbye to Gaga and anyone else we like getting AOTY. If the album really is the best of the year, it shouldn't matter how many people worked on it.

Take a moment to think of just flexibility, love, and trust~

I hate that argument. The award isn't for who produced more or who played more instruments or who wrote more songs. It's for Album of the Year. The number of songwriters, producers, or anything like that has nothing to do with the quality of Beyonce's album. It's fine to think that Beck had a better quality album, but the fact that he produced and wrote all the song doesn't make a better album per say. 

Totally agree

It has to do with artistic integrity. BeyoncĂƒÆ’Â©'s album is a product, made by many people, and aiming for the charts. Beck's album is a body of work made only by him.

It's not an award for Best Artistic Integrity though. It's an award for Best Album. The award goes to everyone involved, so it wouldn't just be Beyonce. There were a ton of different writers and featured artists involved in Daft Punk's Random Access Memories which won last year and no one complained that there were too many people involved. Do Arcade Fire deserve their AOTY award less because there's six people in the band instead of a solo artist doing everything? No. I like Beck and Beyonce's albums so it's not about that for me, but that argument doesn't really make sense.

But the award isn't for artistic integrity? One man can lock himself in a cabin in the woods alone and make an album all by himself and it could still be trash compared to an album made by a hundred people. I'm not saying Beck's album was trash or anything near that but it wasn't anything that hasn't been done before. It was just a decent imitation of 70s folk music done under the umbrella of the recent psych-revival. BeyoncĂƒÆ’Â©'s album isn't some sort of masterpiece or anything but musically it was a lot more fresh and exciting.

Look, you can get 50 producers, 50 writers and 50 composers or wtv and make the best album you can ever make. And one single person can get on your level by himself. That says a lot about your work, and I'm sorry but it makes it inferior compared to that other guy's album.

When I buy an album from an artist, I expect artistic integrity. I want that album to be about that artist, made by that artist and totally about that artist. Not some sort of collaboration with 15 writers and producers. I love the artist, and I want a good body of work made (mostly) by him/her, not by 100 people.

And Beck's album, contrary to what many people here might think even though they don't even know the album, is far superior to BeyoncĂƒÆ’Â©'s.

Well in theory yes, but I wouldn't be surprised if many of the voters took the artists' agency into account when deciding who should win. I know I would be more inclined to vote for the person who had more input into the project.

Andreyw

Beyonce is a mediocre album sound-wise. I listened to it once and it wasn't anything special beside its visuals and the strategy used for the release. Beyonce hasn't won a ****ing award...big deal.

Totally agree

It's not an award for Best Artistic Integrity though. It's an award for Best Album. The award goes to everyone involved, so it wouldn't just be Beyonce. There were a ton of different writers and featured artists involved in Daft Punk's Random Access Memories which won last year and no one complained that there were too many people involved. Do Arcade Fire deserve their AOTY award less because there's six people in the band instead of a solo artist doing everything? No. I like Beck and Beyonce's albums so it's not about that for me, but that argument doesn't really make sense.

It's implied, tho. Imagine you're a painter, and you're terrible at painting clouds, so you pay someone to paint perfect clouds for you. But you're also terrible at painting grass, so you pay someone to paint you grass, which looks amazing. And then you want to paint people, but you have little talent to do so, so you pay someone to do it. When it's finished, it looks amazing, but what's the integrity and the quality of the process, as a whole?

What if someone paints something better (or equally good) than you, even though his painting made less money than yours, when it was sold? Doesn't he deserve some sort of recognition?

If you have the guts to sign your name on an album with 15 producers, don't expect the same respect has someone who did an equally good job only by himself. That's it.

djBuffoon

You guys...

50 Cent isn't saying that either album is less than the other. Kanye basically said that Beck winning the award was a disrespect to artistry, and 50 is responding by saying "well, Beck is an artist by every definition."

Y'all are projecting more onto it than is there. :smh:

RAMROD

Tisk tisk tisk Aretha Franklin only write 8 song all of her career and the rest are by many other peoples, even her biggest hit, Respect are by Otis Redding.

And that doesn't stop her getting acclaim, not being called overrated, a product, and for a time, most Grammy awarded female with 18 Grammies before BeyoncĂƒÆ’Â© surpassed that this year with 20 Grammies.

Why? Because Aretha have talents, just like Bey does, Aretha can sing can belt high notes, and so can Bey.

Don't get me started with Whitney.

Truth be told not many singer song writers in Pop except one are in a band.

If people wanna call an artist as product or overrated, Beyonce is not one people who you can point your fingers to.

(ïŸ‰â—•ăƒźâ—•)✧*: be delulu until it becomes trululu (*Ž艞*) ♡♡♡

XoXoJoanneGaga

Look, you can get 50 producers, 50 writers and 50 composers or wtv and make the best album you can ever make. And one single person can get on your level by himself. That says a lot about your work, and I'm sorry but it makes it inferior compared to that other guy's album.

When I buy an album from an artist, I expect artistic integrity. I want that album to be about that artist, made by that artist and totally about that artist. Not some sort of collaboration with 15 writers and producers. I love the artist, and I want a good body of work made (mostly) by him/her, not by 100 people.

And Beck's album, contrary to what many people here might think even though they don't even know the album, is far superior to BeyoncĂƒÆ’Â©'s.

Lol Beck's album is really not that good though, I can see why it might seem exciting to someone who mainly listens to pop music but it's incredibly pedestrian. Again, not saying Bey is a masterpiece, it's like comparing a 6/10 album to a 7.5/10 album.

And you're seriously overstating the amount of writers on Bey's album. Have you looked at the credits? The only song with an egregious amount of writers is Drunk In Love.

Venus, of all songs, has more co-writers than almost anything on Bey's album (don't ask me how this is possible). Applause too.

Lol Beck's album is really not that good though, I can see why it might seem exciting to someone who mainly listens to pop music but it's incredibly pedestrian. Again, not saying Bey is a masterpiece, it's like comparing a 6/10 album to a 7.5/10 album.

And you're seriously overstating the amount of writers on Bey's album. Have you looked at the credits? The only song with an egregious amount of of writers is Drunk In Love.

Venus, of all songs, has more co-writers than almost anything on Bey's album (don't ask me how this is possible). Applause too.

Let's discuss the amount of nominations those songs got.

Artistic integrity definitely plays into the award.

It's silly to think there is just one factor that goes into picking it. What would it be? quality? If so then those albums shouldn't have even been nominated, there are classical works with extreme talent and quality that far surpass them in technical skill and sound.

Popularity? No, otherwise the Frozen Soundtrack would've won album of the year.

It's about ALL of those things. And whether you like it or not (the fact that you wouldn't like it is weird to me), artistic integrity does matter.

XoXoJoanneGaga

Let's discuss the amount of nominations those songs got.

Soo, let's completely change the topic? You implied you wouldn't want to listen to an album like BeyoncĂƒÆ’Â© because of the amount of writers/producers. I'm telling you the song in your name/avy has more writers than almost anything on BeyoncĂƒÆ’Â©.

Archived