💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Gaga's art

MaybeKermit

Featured Posts

XoXoJoanneGaga

I feel myself and this is something I've felt for a long time, that the most basic and least artistic part of Gaga is the music itself. She's always using the same song structure only occasionally branching out and they tend to be about the same subjects(Sex, Fashion, Drugs, and that one emotional song near the end). The performances, photo-shoots, tours, fashion, covers tend to ambitious, high-concept and enigmatic but it's all led by pretty basic songs that aren't often connected to the visuals and sometimes not even connected at all. Do the lyrics of Telephone warrant a 7 minute music video? I can see how songs like Thriller or Like a Prayer can warrant epic music videos because the songs have such heavy, identifiable concepts. Now not every music video, performance, or imagery has to connect with the lyrical story or theme of the song itself to be good, but when the connection is so ridiculously loose and non-existent eventually I'm kind of like wtf?(You and I, Alejandro, Born This Way, G.U.Y., etc.). I feel whatever Gaga had in mind for Venus would've been great as the imagery was following from the content of the music itself as opposed to coming from somewhere else. She's had great examples of the music and visuals being connected to each other in other music videos(Marry The Night, Applause, Judas, and Paparazzi) but sometimes it's so disconnected when she tries to turn a simple pop song into some 10 minute Kubrick-esque vision.

Yeah, and as much as I love what she's done so far, she's at a point where she's got to really step it up. I still remember when I saw the final ARTPOP tracklist, I just felt so underwhelmed by how basic it looked, I couldn't believe she was really putting a song called 'Fashion!' (the third one of her career!) on an album called ARTPOP that she spent two years hyping as some sort of opus. And then the album comes out and it's just a ton more 3-4 minute dance songs that cover all the same ground she conquered four years earlier. 

She may be one of my favorite artists today, but when I compare her music to the absolute best musicians of this generation her artistry just pales in comparison, it's nowhere near as effortlessly brilliant or high-concept, with the exception of a couple of masterful songs like Bad Romance. She'll never make a better dance-pop song than Bad Romance, so it's time to move up to the big leagues of songwriting and production. Time for her to become a legitimately amazing artist and to stop being compared to freaking Katy Perry and Miley Cyrus.

I think she's going in the right direction with the next one though.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's sth ive been noticing lately... i'd have no problem with her leaving the 'pop scene' and going back to her bars etc... i just think Gaga herself cant go back anymore, even if she says she can...

I think the same thing. I wouldn't mind her doing something extremely ambitious music wise and fund her music videos and tour stuff herself if she needs to. She earned $33 million last year alone. That should get her somewhere.

I mean she did this in a f*cking club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfi8FLcRnk8

Even in the worst case scenario commercially, I'm sure she could at least do theatre tour and she would be able to book some T.V spots to promote her singles.I mean she is the Godmother of Elton John's children, just released an album with Tony Bennett and is loved by many legends including Sting and Kiss. I'm sure her career will be fine, she did earn $33 million last year.

Honestly, I think she prefers being a major pop star. I think an incredible experimental album with interesting music videos and performances would consolidate her as a legend. Even if it doesn't perform that well.

It would be like The Beatles  "experimental period'  with Revolver and Sgt. Pepper that defined them as sonic pioneers. To a lesser extent than The Beatles, Madonna's Erotica also helped her legacy in the long run.

I don't know if she trusts her talents as much as us. She doesn't know if she could really do it all again. I see hints of her potential greatness through songs like Aura and Venus though. The imagery for Venus got me excited as well.

Oh well, she is still the most hardworking and innovative popstars we have around.

MaybeKermit

Yeah, and as much as I love what she's done so far, she's at a point where she's got to really step it up. I still remember when I saw the final ARTPOP tracklist, I just felt so underwhelmed by how basic it looked, I couldn't believe she was really putting a song called 'Fashion!' (the third one of her career!) on an album called ARTPOP that she spent two years hyping as some sort of opus. And then the album comes out and it's just a ton more 3-4 minute dance songs that cover all the same ground she conquered four years earlier. 

She may be one of my favorite artists today, but when I compare her music to the absolute best musicians of this generation her artistry just pales in comparison, it's nowhere near as effortlessly brilliant or high-concept, with the exception of a couple of masterful songs like Bad Romance. She'll never make a better dance-pop song than Bad Romance, so it's time to move up to the big leagues of songwriting and production. Time for her to become a legitimately amazing artist and to stop being compared to freaking Katy Perry and Miley Cyrus.

this.... I always feel excited when I hear her talk about her new 'experimental' stuff, but when I hear/see it it's a bit underwhelming since she always talks about great legends who inspire her, but the final result is too commercial and mainstream in a way to compare it to the work of those people... she definetely has to step it up to let everyone know she's much more than just a 'pop singer'. Gaga slay me with that new album :legend:

Noam Zioni

uhm I suggest you watch her videos and listen to her music :awkney:

this.....

I've watched and listened to her. She has a quiet kind of music, it doesn't make her more artistic. She has weird and slow videos. It doesn't make her more artistic.

MaybeKermit
I've watched and listened to her. She has a quiet kind of music, it doesn't make her more artistic. She has weird and slow videos. It doesn't make her more artistic.
everyone is entitled to their own opinion no? :awkney: having fast, colorful videos doesnt make you more artistic goo :awkney:

Noam Zioni

everyone is entitled to their own opinion no? :awkney: having fast, colorful videos doesnt make you more artistic goo :awkney:

I didn't say that Gaga is more artistic tho.. And yes, everyone has the right to have his own opinion. Imo, art is the same level for all, as long as the man who creates it considers his creation as art

Tropico

Commercial doesn't mean bad tho. Or lacking artistry. I detect more artistry in some of the ARTPOO Era than most indie artists. Honestly, twigs is good but so overrated.:deadbanana:

♢ Social Justice Enthusiast ♢

JazzGa

She takes experimental/artsy things and repackages them into a digestible form that appeals to the masses i.e. "Art's in pop culture in me" 

"Pop" is short for "popular" after all  :thirst:

God created Adam and Eve, but Gọdga collabed with Brian🎺 and Steve🎷

aaronyoji

lol I like this thread. It's actually true that she's way more commercial than her fans often seem to think.

I'd love for Gaga to delve more into the artsy route because she really made her platform now. I always thought her pop stuff (which doesn't mean it can't be genius - her first album is still the most genius she's ever done imo) was just a ladder step towards an underground experience with a global audience but..

That doesn't seem to happen :lollipop:

its not so much that her work is more commercial because its not deep enough, or references enough, but moreso, her aesthetic as a pop artist is convoluted for the very same reason: its pop. and thats what i think she needs to step up on. fka twigs for example, as mentioned in the op, her work seems so strong because its creative, but also has an aesthetic to it. for the longest time, gagas aesthetic was just that it was pop, if that makes sense. 

I feel myself and this is something I've felt for a long time, that the most basic and least artistic part of Gaga is the music itself. She's always using the same song structure only occasionally branching out and they tend to be about the same subjects(Sex, Fashion, Drugs, and that one emotional song near the end). The performances, photo-shoots, tours, fashion, covers tend to ambitious, high-concept and enigmatic but it's all led by pretty basic songs that aren't often connected to the visuals and sometimes not even connected at all. Do the lyrics of Telephone warrant a 7 minute music video? I can see how songs like Thriller or Like a Prayer can warrant epic music videos because the songs have such heavy, identifiable concepts. Now not every music video, performance, or imagery has to connect with the lyrical story or theme of the song itself to be good, but when the connection is so ridiculously loose and non-existent eventually I'm kind of like wtf?(You and I, Alejandro, Born This Way, G.U.Y., etc.). I feel whatever Gaga had in mind for Venus would've been great as the imagery was following from the content of the music itself as opposed to coming from somewhere else. She's had great examples of the music and visuals being connected to each other in other music videos(Marry The Night, Applause, Judas, and Paparazzi) but sometimes it's so disconnected when she tries to turn a simple pop song into some 10 minute Kubrick-esque vision.

so true! i mean, whats been her main criticism ever since the beginning of her career? that the music was never as wierd or avant garde as the other aspects of her work that she claims to be. and i agree, it should lead with the music itself. 

:applause: took the words out of my mouth! 

Archived