💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

iTunes now offering refunds policy (Pop music in danger?)

Tropico

Featured Posts

Tropico

Apparently because of some new EU consumer rights bollocks, 9to5mac report today that iTunes now offer refunds up to two weeks after music has been purchased. You won’t even have to give a reason for returning your purchase

So for instance, having bought one of the new Madonna songs a week and a half ago, and having potentially enjoyed and ‘used’ that song ever since, we just did this…

pj_348-590x147.jpg

And it’s gone through.

pj_351-590x277.jpg

If the file stays in your library, does this new iTunes rule not mean that you could buy an album, get a refund, buy another album, get a refund, buy another album, get a refund, and repeat forever or until you’ve downloaded iTunes’ entire catalogue?

And even if the file does eventually disappear, that still means you get two weeks’ free use of an album or song. Which is great (short-term) news for fans, but a bit of a weird one for labels.

Also, what does this mean for the future of chart hyping? iTunes’ new rule means:

1. Union J – and it probably would be Union J – could put an album on sale on Monday morning.

2. Union J’s more ambivalent fans (which seems to be most of them) could buy that album during its first week on sale, knowing that they’ll be able to get their money back.

3. The album would go to Number One on the Sunday.

4. The following Monday, Union J’s fans could each get a full refund.

5. What are the Official Charts Company going to do? Recall the previous week’s chart? Union J have a Number One album.

It gets even better: 9to5 note that the 14-day period “is extended to a year if a business fails to properly inform consumers of the return periodâ€, which means that unless artists explicitly tell their fans that they’ve got a fortnight to return purchases, fans could actually pull the rug from under an act’s feet up to twelve months later. 
Imagine if (for instance) Lady Gaga had the biggest-selling album of 2015, then halfway through 2016 found out that once returns were taken into account she’d only sold eight copies.

Source: http://www.popjustice.com/briefing/itunes-are-now-offering-refunds-and-the-world-of-pop-might-go-totally-berserk/133413/

CTFU :AIR: :lmao:

I guess I'll buy Every album released this year now :giggle:

♢ Social Justice Enthusiast ♢

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tropico

But this is kinda a good thing. Now, you buy an album, test it out then return it if it's bad. :yes:

This will also encourage artists to make REALLY good albums so that people won't return it

PoshLife

Wait I'm actually REALLY happy about this though. Every once in a while I accidentally download the wrong version of the song (like I meant to download the radio version but downloaded the original version), and there was always a way to switch but it was kind of a process. So if I can just cancel the purchase and buy it over again, that's really nifty.

Tropico

Getting number 1 albums will be so easy. Streaming + This rule = Rihanna SZN has come :air:

GUYS BUY BWET ON iTUNES :Jase: If you don't like it, return it after Billboard has sent in the numbers. AB deserves ha 1. :air:

Archived