💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

VIDEO: Azealia Banks' interview with Hot 97 - talks about Iggy, Black Culture

inuborg

Featured Posts

And she raps how she does because her Australian accent would sound horrible. When most people sing, they sound American, regardless of their native tongue. It's because American accented singing is very melodic and is the accepted way of singing, so our voices naturally go towards that. Rapping is no different. Rapping is rarely accented in anything other than West coast/East cost American or London British because any other accent just doesn't sound right. I tried re-enacting some raps in my Glaswegian lilt and it sounded hilarious. Revert into the way the original artist sings it and it sounds good. Non-Americans rap in American accents to make their rap sound good and right. Plus, Iggy's lived in America and been surrounded by black people for the last 8 years. It's common to pick up accents and twangs in that time. Picking up on someone's accent isn't always done to mock, it's to empathise with the other person and have them understand you better.

Great point. Americans accents are so dominant in music, it hard for them to empathize with the challenges of having a non-standard accent. It can be lose-lose, a handicap if you stick with it but you get called out as inauthentic if you change. I don't think Ms. Banks is aware of her own "accent privilege."

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
inuborg

Great point. Americans accents are so dominant in music, it hard for them to empathize with the challenges of having a non-standard accent. It can be lose-lose, a handicap if you stick with it but you get called out as inauthentic if you change. I don't think Ms. Banks is aware of her own "accent privilege."

Please, Azealia has an new york accent and she owns it lol, there is no such thing as accent privilege :dead: 

When Daniel Radcliffe did that rap bit for The Late Show, he didn't have a british accent, but he wasn't impersonating a black woman.

Ed Sheeran raps in his accent and it sounds perfect. 

I root for you. I love you. You, you, you, you.

inuborg

This thread again :roll:

I mean its a very important interview, just a lot of narrow minded people are trivializing it. 

I root for you. I love you. You, you, you, you.

"I don't understand why the person with so much negativity has fans"

C'mon, gays here were loving her catty black woman persona way before her album dropped. Back when she was expected to be the next Nicki Minaj and generating twitter drama that was personal not racial. None of here fans where talking like hip-hop purists who looked down on pop rap back them. Strange, hardly anyone on this board is here for male rappers who put out critically respected stuff like Kanye or Kendrick.

TEA by Lady Gaga

Archived