Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

J.Cole: Iggy, Macklemore, JT, Em "snatced the sound" of black music

Morphine Prince

Featured Posts

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

basically most music genres that are popular today are derived from "black music". Jazz, Rock n Roll, Blues, RnB, Soul, motown Pop, funk..... are all part of development of music within the black community, they became popular over time because white artists made them mainstream and "Acceptible". especially the first 60-70 years of the 20th century. the last 30-40 years that became less bigoted and more of a mix between a lot of cultures.

Look at Elvis's songs, a lot of them were covers or songs made by black artists originally. at the time he was like 80% of the music industry, so he made black music (and to a certain degree dancing) acceptible. Hound Dog is the best example..it was originally from Big Momma Thornton.

I'm not so sure were you got your receipts, but I think you might refer to the countless sampling that is done in hiphop and current pop music. by both black, white, latino, etc cultures

photo-22782.png?_r=1417728689

Tove Lo

because white people haven't been a victim of mass enslavement by black people are we still questioning this issue ffs 

Enslavement of a race before the 1900's Ã¢â€°  ownership of a genre in the 2000's

I do feel bad that happened in the past and there were issues after they were freed, but mistakes of some white people, does not give a free pass for black people to dwuw or own anything they say is there's. 

hop on that **** like a maniac

I have mixed opinions on this.

People criticize Iggy because she actually raps like a Black Southerner instead of in her natural voice. She's watered down trap/Southern rap for the mainstream and people bought it because she's a white female

I think the others are fine. J. Cole seems a tad pressed over Macklemore winning a Grammy, but the Heist is unlike any other rap album I've heard. No part of that would be deemed "black culture" except that he's rapping, but that's something anyone can do. He's not trying to emulate a race or lifestyle he isn't. 

I think if people were bothered by Eminem then Dr. Dre wouldn't work with him? But I don't even think about Eminem because he's not good

Still struggling to get why a race and/or culture has to own a genre :spin: if someone who was white said black people couldn't use our "white cultured genre's", they'd be called racist and dragged to the pits of hell for all eternity.  

THIS

I don't understand why blacks ( I use this loosely because you can't really define this or say everyone thinks/agrees the same way) feel so united in the sense that they think they deserve their own music genre and nobody can be included if they have different color skin. if anything they are being excluding and just trying to blame others.

People are just messy (edit) from both sides

Don't visit my profile

Enslavement of a race before the 1900's Ã¢â€°  ownership of a genre in the 2000's

I do feel bad that happened in the past and there were issues after they were freed, but mistakes of some white people, does not give a free pass for black people to dwuw or own anything they say is there's. 

but we can't act like all races are equal and stuff, like there's so much inequality, like how can we say it's double standards to let black people sing typical white music and not let white people rap, when an abundance of young black men are being slaughtered by the police? you can't have this blatent inequality and then pretend everyone has the same privilege  

Chromatislaps

THIS

I don't understand why blacks ( I use this loosely because you can't really define this or say everyone thinks/agrees the same way) feel so united in the sense that they think they deserve their own music genre and nobody can be included if they have different color skin. if anything they are being excluding and just trying to blame others.

People are just messy

its because certain genres have been the culture for certain groups of people for generations, and they find it offensive if people not native to that culture claim it as their own or use it in such a way it steals the identity which they have given that genre . which is in some ways a bit too radical or a bit to bigoted if you ask me.

Willy Wonka

THIS

People are just messy

i can appreciate your perspective, but you have to realize there's a lot more to it than just that. there's a lot more racial politics that play into it that have fostered racial tension within certain music genres. this isn't an attack, but rather just a metaphor: i see your perspective as sort of focusing on the symptoms rather than the cause. yes, you can perceive the r&b/hip-hop/rap community as being exclusionary, but why might that be the case?

basically most music genres that are popular today are derived from "black music". Jazz, Rock n Roll, Blues, RnB, Soul, motown Pop, funk..... are all part of development of music within the black community, they became popular over time because white artists made them mainstream and "Acceptible". especially the first 60-70 years of the 20th century. the last 30-40 years that became less bigoted and more of a mix between a lot of cultures.

Look at Elvis's songs, a lot of them were covers or songs made by black artists originally. at the time he was like 80% of the music industry, so he made black music (and to a certain degree dancing) acceptible. Hound Dog is the best example..it was originally from Big Momma Thornton.

I'm not so sure were you got your receipts, but I think you might refer to the countless sampling that is done in hiphop and current pop music. by both black, white, latino, etc cultures

So White people just shouldnt make any music at all, black people invented every genre! 

This black culture appropriation thing exists since decades, maybe centuries and no popular genres is now the property of a so called culture. Boundaries are gone. Now we are in another logic that people seem to ignore on purpose or they are not aware of it: globalization and cultural standardization. Rap isnt an american thing now. 

« The domain of popular music illustrates how difficult it is to unravel cultural systems in the contemporary world: Is rock music a universal language? Do reggae and ska have the same meaning to young people everywhere? American-inspired hip-hop (rap) swept through Brazil, Britain, France, China, and Japan in the 1990s. Yet Japanese rappers developed their own, localized versions of this art form. Much of the music of hip-hop, grounded in urban African American experience, is defiantly antiestablishment, but the Japanese lyric content is decidedly mild, celebrating youthful solidarity and exuberance. Similar “translations†between form and content have occurred in the pop music of Indonesia, Mexico, and Korea. Even a casual listener of U.S. radio can hear the profound effects that Brazilian, South African, Indian, and Cuban forms have had on the contemporary American pop scene. An earlier example of splashbackâ€â€when a cultural innovation returns, somewhat transformed, to the place of its originâ€â€was the British Invasion of the American popular music market in the mid-1960s. Forged in the United States from blues and country music, rock and roll crossed the Atlantic in the 1950s to captivate a generation of young Britons who, forming bands such as the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, made the music their own, then reintroduced it to American audiences with tremendous success. The flow of popular culture is rarely, if ever, unidirectional. »

inuborg

I have mixed opinions on this.

People criticize Iggy because she actually raps like a Black Southerner instead of in her natural voice. She's watered down trap/Southern rap for the mainstream and people bought it because she's a white female

I think the others are fine. J. Cole seems a tad pressed over Macklemore winning a Grammy, but the Heist is unlike any other rap album I've heard. No part of that would be deemed "black culture" except that he's rapping, but that's something anyone can do. He's not trying to emulate a race or lifestyle he isn't. 

I think if people were bothered by Eminem then Dr. Dre wouldn't work with him? But I don't even think about Eminem because he's not good

:applause:

I root for you. I love you. You, you, you, you.

Archived