Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Taylor Swift's '1989' Returns to #1 on Billboard 200 Albums Chart!

Pop

Featured Posts

Taylor Swift's '1989' Returns to No. 1 on Revamped Billboard 200

taylor-swift-2014-sarah-barlow-billboard

The chart now includes on-demand streaming and digital track sales.

The newly refreshed Billboard 200 albums chart welcomes a familiar face back to No. 1, as Taylor Swift's 1989 hops back to the top slot (2-1) after a one-week vacation. This is the album's fourth non-consecutive week at No. 1.

The Billboard 200, which has long been a chart that ranked the most popular albums of the week based on pure album sales, now shifts its methodology to a multi-metric consumption model. The ranking includes on-demand streaming and digital track sales, in addition to traditional album sales, all measured by Nielsen.

This is the most substantial update to the chart's methodology since May of 1991, when Billboard first used Nielsen's point-of-sale data  SoundScan  to measure album sales.

As previously reported, the new Billboard 200 chart uses accepted industry benchmarks for digital and streaming data, where 10 digital track sales from an album is equivalent to one album sale, and 1,500 song streams from an album equates to one album sale. All of the major on-demand audio subscription services are considered, including Spotify, Beats Music, Google Play and Xbox Music.

Swift's return to No. 1 is powered by 339,000 total album equivalent units in the week ending Nov. 30. Of that sum, the majority is pure album sales (281,000).

1989's album sales now stand at 2.5 million after five weeks on sale.

The album is also No. 1 on the Top Album Sales chart, which maintains the old Billboard 200's methodology of ranking pure album sales.

Swift continues to ride high on the Digital Songs chart, where she has two songs in the top 10: "Blank Space" (holding at No. 1, with 342,000 downloads; up 13 percent) and "Shake It Off" (8-10 with 93,000; up 12 percent).

Back on the Billboard 200, a cappella group Pentatonix hits a new high as its album That's Christmas To Me rises 3-2 with 227,000 units. It also climbs 3-2 on Top Album Sales with 217,000 (up 119 percent).

The new Shady XV compilation album arrives at No. 3 on the Billboard 200, with 148,000 units (138,000 album sales). The set celebrates the 15th anniversary of Eminem's Shady Records and its hit singles like 50 Cent's "In Da Club," Eminem's "Lose Yourself" and D12's "Purple Pills."

Shady XV is the second top 10 compilation from Shady Records, following 2006's Eminem Presents: The Re-Up, which debuted and peaked at No. 2.

Last week's Billboard 200 champ, One Direction's Four, slips to No. 4 with 125,000 units in its second week. (Of that sum, 105,000 are album sales -- down 68 percent from its launch of 387,000.)

Rick Ross nabs his seventh consecutive top 10 studio album as Hood Billionaire bows at No. 6 with 79,000 units. On the Top Album Sales chart, it starts at No. 6 as well, with 74,000 copies sold. Hood Billionaire is the rapper's second studio effort in 2014, following the No. 1 debut of Mastermind (179,000 in album sales). His previous set, 2012's God Forgives, I Don't, also started at No. 1 (218,000).

Flying 39-7 on the new Billboard 200 is a clear beneficiary of the chart's new methodology: Ariana Grande's My Everything. It moved 72,000 units for the week, heavily powered not just by album sales (47,000), but also track equivalent albums (19,000) and streaming equivalent albums (6,000).

Had the new Billboard 200's methodology not been in place, My Everything would have ranked at No. 16 (where it stands on the Top Album Sales chart). My Everything has been absent from the top 10 on the Billboard 200 since its third week on the list (dated Sept. 27, when it fell 4-11).

Beyonce's new Beyonce: More Only (EP) struts in at No. 8 on the Billboard 200 with 71,000 units. The digital set includes only the new bonus material (new songs, remixes and videos) that was added to the deluxe reissue of her self-titled album. The new EP sold 43,000 albums, but also garnered 25,000 in TEA and another 3,000 in SEA.

On the Top Album Sales chart, the Beyonce: More Only (EP) launches at No. 17.

The diva's self-titled album also scoots up both lists, thanks to its expanded reissue. On the Billboard 200, Beyonce rises 199-39 (25,000 units), while on the Top Album Sales chart, it vaults 199-37 (22,000 album sales; up 713 percent).

Closing out the top 10 on the new Billboard 200 is the surging Frozen soundtrack (13-9 with 71,000 units) and Maroon 5's V (32-10 with 68,000 units). This is Frozen's first week in the top 10 since the Sept. 20-dated chart. Maroon 5's album charges up the list thanks to sale pricing at retailers during the busy Thanksgiving shopping week (including in the iTunes Store, where it was offered for $6.99).

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/6334866/taylor-swift-1989-returns-no-1-billboard-200

tumblr_inline_mxo5vcuwTw1rf7jaw.gif

bow @ the new queen of pop tbh!  :worship2:

The Taylor Brigade: KNOCKOUT

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fiona Apple

I am so happy for her...She took slayage to an other level  :yes: But queen of pop? Not really

tumblr_inline_mxo5vcuwTw1rf7jaw.gif

sle  :sleigh:  :sleigh:  :sleigh:  :sleigh:  :sleigh:

Another day another slay

AlphaMonster

She sold so much so she is the new queen of pop ??? It is not that easy. Sales are not everything... It is about artistry and being an icon.

She is just a über successful pop star... 

Let's be real, Madonna is still queen of pop, no one is close to replace her... She can sell out stadiums from arab countries to asia, from europe to americas even WITHOUT hits... Do you think that Taylor Swift is close to do something like that ?

http://vimeo.com/69399627

Jenniferella

The rules have changed tho. I'm curious at how future albums will do with those new rules

"I have been writing LG5 since I was 13"

She sold so much so she is the new queen of pop ??? It is not that easy. Sales are not everything... It is about artistry and being an icon.

Let's be real, Madonna is still queen of pop, no one is close to replace her... She can sell out stadiums from arab countries to asia, from europe to americas even WITHOUT hits... Do you think that Taylor Swift is close to do something like that ?

http://vimeo.com/69399627

Not comparable. Madonna is a nostalgia act from another time like The Rolling Stones. 

Taylor Swift is the most successful female artist since Britney Spears in the early 00s and definitely defines this era. Even Britney didn't have three consecutive albums debut at 1M+ and back then album sales were much higher!  :legend:

The rules have changed tho. I'm curious at how future albums will do with those new rules

She would be back to #1 even without the streaming points because she sold 281,000 this week.  :legend:

Not comparable. Madonna is a nostalgia act from another time like The Rolling Stones. 

Taylor Swift is the most successful female artist since Britney Spears in the early 00s and definitely defines this era. Even Britney didn't have three consecutive albums debut at 1M+ and back then album sales were much higher!  :legend:

She would be back to #1 even without the streaming points because she sold 281,000 this week.  :legend:

no thats gaga and dont give me ARTPOP receipt please dont be delusional 

Jenniferella

Whatever you say, just keep on living in your own "pop" world :smh:

"I have been writing LG5 since I was 13"

no thats gaga and dont give me ARTPOP receipt please dont be delusional 

Girl, Taylors last THREE albums opened with 1M+ and she's only getting bigger with each one. 

Please do the math. 

I would say Gaga left a bigger mark culturally, though.  :worship2:

AlphaMonster

Madonna is not nostalgic. Watch the video, I did not give you Like A Prayer performance from Blond Ambition Tour ....

She is still producing new music, she still reinvents herself... When she does a biggest hit tour, you can consider her nostalgic... 

http://vimeo.com/69399627 WATCH IT. And ask yourself if Taylor is closer to do something like that? In my opinion, she does not have that talent or creativity... 

Taylor Swift is definitely not defining this era! She is just successful, good selling pop star. Nobody is gonna be like Taylor Swift is amazing 10 years later. Because she is not amazing or unbelievably good. IF YOU THINK SHE IS DEFINING THE ERA, SUPPORT YOUR POINT WITH EXAMPLES! HOW DOES SHE DO THAT?

Defining an era is something like what gaga did in early 2010s... example: http://www.funnyjunk.com/funny_pictures/2733845/Before

She changed the whole pop act. All singers got more marginal styles and stage actings... 

Archived