Police Issues and Racial Profiling Protest Discussion

lego

Featured Posts

couldnt he use a tazer if he wasnt sure? like wtf?

The kid was pointing the gun at him, and he was far enough away that he couldn't tell. This was the safest move for the officer, it's just such a tragedy. :( 

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the toy gun the kid was holding (airsoft). Looks real, not the officer's fault.

PtmSXpv.jpg

"I am the world's greatest person that does not want to let people into the country."—US President Donald J. Trump
Morphine Prince

Why would he go for his gun when the officer told him to put his hands up? I don't blame the officer. That kid was acting like a threat.

He asked the kid to put his hands up, the kid reached for the gun. The officer not knowing wether it was real or fake, because the child had removed the plastic orange cap that identifies it as a fake, had to take action. Given the circumstances, I think he made the right call. I've found that everywhere online, most have also shared the same opinion.

How about wounding him to leg?  Why shoot to kill?

The boy did not make any verbal threats toward the officer or point the gun, but reached into his waistband and grabbed it after being told to raise his hands, Tomba said.

Maybe he didn't hear. :fail:

FreePalestine
Redstreak

Exactly, there are tons of ways to incapacitate a 12 year old without going for an immediate kill shot.

Take a moment to think of just flexibility, love, and trust~

wish i could find the post from the cop on reddit explaining why cops are trained to shoot always at the torso. the explanation actually made sense you probably have to be familiar with guns and shooting guns to fully understand it though.

I disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it.

No. That's a movie myth. Police officers never shoot to wound.

First, a gun is a LETHAL response. If they deliberately "shoot to wound" it means the situation didn't call for a lethal response and they shouldn't have shot at all.

Second a bullet doesn't magically stop people. Shoot in leg? So what, that doesn't stop anyone, the person can still just shoot the officer, wasted bullet, wasted time, maybe wasted life.

Third, legs are hard to hit. Officers are trained to aim at the "center mass". It's the largest target to hit with the best chance of stopping an attacker.

"Shoot to wound" is a myth, ask any police experts. It's literally laughably bad among those who are aware of the current teachings.

Let's see this from officer's perspective:

-911 call about someone waving a gun in a park

-officer draws gun and orders suspect to put his hands up

-suspect instead reaches into waistband, where gun is concealed

?

"I am the world's greatest person that does not want to let people into the country."—US President Donald J. Trump

No. That's a movie myth. Police officers never shoot to wound.

First, a gun is a LETHAL response. If they deliberately "shoot to wound" it means the situation didn't call for a lethal response and they shouldn't have shot at all.

Second a bullet doesn't magically stop people. Shoot in leg? So what, that doesn't stop anyone, the person can still just shoot the officer, wasted bullet, wasted time, maybe wasted life.

Third, legs are hard to hit. Officers are trained to aim at the "center mass". It's the largest target to hit with the best chance of stopping an attacker.

"Shoot to wound" is a myth, ask any police experts. It's literally laughably bad among those who are aware of the current teachings.

Let's see this from officer's perspective:

-911 call about someone waving a gun in a park

-officer draws gun and orders suspect to put his hands up

-suspect instead reaches into waistband

?

A man who called 911 told dispatchers before police arrived that the boy was on a swing set and pointing a pistol that was “probably fake†and scaring everyone.

The caller said the boy was pulling the gun in and out of his pants. “I don’t know if it’s real or not,†the caller said.

The boy did not make any verbal threats toward the officer or point the gun,
FreePalestine

[snip]

"Deputy Chief Ed Tomba said one officer fired twice after the boy pulled the fake weapon  which was lacking the orange safety indicator usually found on the muzzle  from his waistband but had not pointed it at police.

Jeff Follmer, president of the Cleveland Police Patrolmen's Association, said the officers were not told the caller thought the gun might be fake.

The officer dispatched to the playground outside a city recreation centre saw the pistol sitting on a table or bench, and watched the boy grab it and put it in his waistband, Follmer said. The boy did not make any verbal threats toward the officer or point the gun, but reached into his waistband and grabbed it after being told to raise his hands. "

This gun looks very real and detailed as well. The orange safety indicator was removed and at a few yards distance you could not tell this was fake. Why would someone reach for a gun after being told to put their hands up? Immediate though would be "to shoot the officer". They wouldn't wait until he pointed it at them - that's too late.

airsoft.jpg?w=770

airsoft.jpg

I'm sorry but this is BULL**** anyone who's defending the cop are making me cringe :awkney: and Im gonna say "America.." because if this happened in Sweden the cop would be fired without a doubt. The kid was TWELVE. Did the cop really think shooting him in the belly was necessary before the kid even did anything threatening?! :grr: I owned lots of toy guns as a kid and we always played "mafia wars" and stuff at playgrounds and stuff. None of us took a bullet for being just a kid.

Qualle1

I'm sorry but this is BULL**** anyone who's defending the cop are making me cringe :awkney: and Im gonna say "America.." because if this happened in Sweden the cop would be fired without a doubt. The kid was TWELVE. Did the cop really think shooting him in the belly was necessary before the kid even did anything threatening?! :grr: I owned lots of toy guns as a kid and we always played "mafia wars" and stuff at playgrounds and stuff. None of us took a bullet for being just a kid.

I completely agree with you. Something horrible like that would also not happen here in Germany.

:(

MAKE LOVE NOT WAR
Princess Die
https://twitter.com/alivingiano/status/536661556957032450
Waiting for the KKK to pull up pictures of this kid throwing up gang signs or something. :smh:
Nod if you wanna make love with the enemy. ❤
Gianni Versace

I don't think that taking this child's life was a good or respectable thing AT ALL. But there are precautions an officer in America has to take that wouldn't be so in other parts of the world. 

I do not condone violence or promote the use of firearms but I do think that both the child and the officer were at fault.

You may have "owned lots of toy guns" but surely you didn't wave them around and use them to frighten other children and you probably wouldn't have reached for it in the presence of an armed police officer. 

I can just tell by the story that this kid was trying to be "cool" and "gangster" and he wanted to put a little scare into the local towns children and in the end it cost him his life. Sad, really. 

Archived