Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Was "pre-BTW Gaga" a product that we all fell in love with?

Neptune

Featured Posts

AlphaMonster

But I fell in love with BTW Gaga

Thumbs up... Before BTW, Gaga did not seem interesting to me ... 

I also think the album BTW is her best material... 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you're referring to her brand. Of course things were more polished and cleaner back then, though her song material got more complex and personal, because then she had her dream team that professionally manifested her creative mind with Nicola doing her fashion, Laurie Ann Gibson doing her dance routines, Dada acting as her creative director, and even the dancers she had back then that complemented her acts. I remember an interview she did for CNN when she said Grace Jones advised to not let anyone take her creative people away.

I understand her wanting control over her brand, but with her Haus, she could direct and communicate her vision and let her Haus do what it does best. A prime individual can accomplish much, but a good team could do much more.

Silence those demons... . 🖤

Well at the end of the day the choice is up to Gaga so you can continue complaining here for the rest of her career or you can leave :smh:

Nobody's complaining  :awkney: thanks anyway, come again.

XoXoJoanneGaga

I would imagine that ARTPOP was the album she was the most 'controlled' for. She was clearly going in a different, bolder direction and was reigned in by management/Interscope. 

The idea that she was some sort of slave-product during the TF/M days is laughable. She was clearly very much in control of everything. The key differences back then were:

1) Her vision lined up with her management/label's vision

2) She had an incredible team that enhanced her work and creativity, and pushed her to heights she couldn't reach on her own

3) She was hungry, and put 110% into everything she did

boneknuckleskin

This thread:  :trootea:

The Fame Monster's music, imagery, and The Monster Ball live productions were all iconic. The energy and excitement were unparalleled and seemed--at that time--to be unstoppable. I had never experienced anything quite like that before, and certainly have not since. 

(Exception = MDNA tour :reductive:)

MikeGoneGaga

I mean, realistically, what isn't a product? Everyone and everything is a product of something beyond their control. Our product is who we are and what we project into the world. The friends we make are simply people who like what we've decided we are and what we put out into the world. That's why people constantly complain about people being "fake." It's someone seeing beyond the product and to the person. Part of the reason I enjoyed the ARTPOP and the Cheek to Cheek eras is because they are looking behind the product and to the person. It's a removal of the mystique that's been in process since the beginning of Born this Way where Gaga started to really have opinions outside the mystique. Because of this I think that a lot of people are struggling because she is not the product they initially fell in love with. She is something else entirely, like any of us are after years of change. I just happen to enjoy seeing her transform and become more and more herself whatever that may be.  

I think she is self-conscious of her work, so she trashes her older stuff tbh. I think it was the best product overall. Even ARTPOP is a product, an even more GP-friendly product than TFM imo. Lady Gaga is a product even when she is trying to appear as not being one. That's her product she's selling and until C2C no one was super enthusiastic about buying it. 

I don't like Gaga calling all the shots- doubtful she really ever has, but I think to an extent she does have too much control. Interscope should make sure she sticks to being a marketable product. I know people hate that, but she has to sell to do big things and I think it ties into Gaga's self esteem more than she would admit to fans. She wants to be on top. I think a good team helped Gaga hone her image and skill better than throwing everything at fans and GP to see what sticks. 

Her latest tour looked awesome though, I will say that, but compared to TMB, I don't think it's "iconic". 

migamiga

She is a mess now

And her work-looks-wigs-Tour looks so amateur that it hurts

But i still love her no matter what, even when she is a mess she is 1029192 times better than the basics

I love that we agree on so many things! I miss FameGa so much though :cry:

Nobody's complaining :awkney: thanks anyway, come again.

You're complaining that her new stuff isnt as good as her old. But i mean it's your prerogative to stay perched for an artist you claim isnt producing good stuff as before. i didnt say you cant complain, so i dont know why youre trying to deny it :smh:

IWasBornThisWay

This. She seems to think that she can do it all on her own, but she has so much on her plate that the products are being effected. I really do appreciate how passionate she is about being hugely involved in every aspect of her career but when she doesn't have a huge team and a manager.. ARTPOP happens. Some of her best songs, but her worst commercial performance. She just has to loosen her grip a little.

:toofunny: ARTPOP Happens...can't help myself but laugh out loud.It would be more hilarious if you were to type "ARTPOOP happens lol

drinkmytears

Gaga's career has gone backwards in terms of TFM--->BTW--->ARTPOP

if you rewinded it and she went from ARTPOP to Born This Way and finally perfected herself with TFM it would make sense

but instead she's like a ball of yarn that's slowly unraveled. The string is still there, but it's something else.

She's still Gaga, but so many crucial elements are gone.

Gaga doesn't like to be controlled, but her 'controlled' times brought the best material :/

tbh

Might be why Kety is still doing so well :teehee:

aaronyoji

For me she was the only product I enjoyed if you want to put it that way.

Other pop products seem to plastic to me. I do not stan for any other pop girls.

She was a product but still had a tiny inkling of imperfection and intrigue.

I like the more free indie feeling in music ingeneral. I find myself loving her more and more as the years go on.

So I guess I am just the opposite of you.

Bring on the 'downfall' and her being in control. I like the end result.

this. polished and perfect to me means contrived, low on substance, less soulful. i dont stan for other pop girls either, mainly for that particular reason, they water down gaga's level of work and it ends up being very polished and unnatural and contrived for them. 

also for the record, that ARTPOP film was directed by inez and vinoodh, they are professionals, and they are the best in the fashion industry and have directed many fashion films before gaga and excel in arguably the best portrait photography in this day and age. sure the audio isn't meshed too well, but it doesnt come across as unprofessional to me and never did in this instance. 

tbh

Might be why Kety is still doing so well :teehee:

you guys are going off of the assumption that her earlier work was her best in quality tho, which is highly highly arguable, especially if were focusing on just the music. 

I felt excatly the same at some point .... like TFM some Of TF there are really tracks that I love there I mean Lovegame was the song that I discovered Gaga and Bad Romance was the song that made me her fan and the Telephone video was the thing that made me support her and when she says things how she doesn't like some of her early things or videos etc. it really botters me cuz that were the things that made me like her and if she doesn't like them like wtf I only liked her and started following her for something she doesn't support and cherish anymore. It's weird and hit the nerves when she makes those kind of statements but idk ARTPOP is my fave album from her and she seems to really love it despite everyone's opinion so I'm okay with that :shrug:

its called evolving, youre supposed to look at your earlier work and sort of aw and cringe a little, because artists grow. yeah u liked it, everybody liked it, thats what got her famous, but that doesnt mean her earlier work was the pinnacle of her potential. at least musically, the fame and the fame monster suck in comparison to what shes done recently and what she could do. 

i feel like im explaining myself to kids tbh.....

i feel like im explaining myself to kids tbh.....

You pretty much are. The amount of young ones that are in the fan base now.

Not to knock younger people, but I can definitely notice how I have matured even from my college age self lol.

Archived