💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Why I think Gaga's Less Popular

Rolodex of Hate

Featured Posts

Rolodex of Hate

Okay, so first of all I want to point out, this is NOT a hate thread. At all. I am a massive Gaga fan and have obsessed over her music, fashion and star persona right from the beginning.

But, everyone knows that Gaga's success has started to decline. Why is this? I have a theory, and I encourage people reading this thread to input their theories too.

So here's mine. If you don't want to read the whole thing, I've highlighted the most important bits.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember back in 2009/10 when they used to call Gaga “The Last Pop Star,†“The World’s Biggest Pop Star†and “Our Lady of Pop"? What then is the reason for her sudden decline?

There are many factors, but for me, one of them is that Gaga has become increasingly more accessible, relatable and 'human'. During her peak, Gaga was unpredictable and almost seemed 'un-human'. She was this imposing figure that no one could really understand - she was secretive, intelligent and just plain weird. We didn't really know anything about her personal life or what her personality was even like really and we all wanted to find out more about her. She now does skits on Saturday Night Live and pokes fun at her persona, she openly talks about troubles in her life, relationships and fame. For the general public, she just now seems like a regular, basic pop star (one who seems to appeal almost exclusively to the gay community, although this is and unfair generalisation) and when she tries to do something crazy again, the public are tired of it.

There are two types of celebrities, there are ones who want to be seen as ordinary, every-day friendly neighbour type celebs. Then there are those who want to be seen as arty, alien, untouchable celebrities. Lady Gaga used to be the latter. Now, she's become much more of a normal person.

People used to think she was a freak and someone who didn't care about pop culture or what anyone else thought of her, so she wore what she wanted and said what she wanted. She didn't care if people thought she had a d*ck, or even thought she was a man.

Although Gaga still does eccentric things, she seems more and more like an average pop star who is easily forgotten. She used to perform with blood and monsters and she was always very theatrical - look at her peak with The Monster Ball tour, which had an entire story, a giant Angler fish, fake blood, dark interludes and an evil forest. It was all very classy and expensive.

Fastforwarding to the artRAVE, a less successful tour. To me, the artRAVE is very basic for Gaga - although the show itself is very enjoyable, it's something I wouldn't be surprised to see from another pop star - it has no plot, it's all about raving, there's confetti, lights, sea shells and flowers. I experienced the artRAVE and although enjoyable, it just seamed like your standard pop show. She seems to have lost that power that she once had.

Here's an article excerpt that partially supports my opinion:

We could probably do with more jazz. Although solidly entertaining, this artRAVE Ball feels closer to standard arena pop than it does to Gaga’s previous Balls, in which hydraulics and high concepts kept the synapses pinging. The latex’n’lasers section, where Gaga sings Sexx Dreams, finds no new take on the dry-humping of chaises-longues. At no point does she give birth to herself, like some parthenogenic goddess. More’s the pity.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that's my interpretation on Gaga's decline. I'd love for other people to tell me their thoughts on my opinion and suggest some other reasons for Gaga's decline in popularity.

EDIT: I think this is another very valid point from a contributor to this thread:

for example i think she never should have humanized herself. she used to be an "enigma popstar" she used to provoke such mystery. and we always wanted to know more about her but she would never mix her personal life with her career. i guess she got tired of putting on a charade, especially with ARTPOP. but i think during born this way is when she really started to go downhill because sshe turned herself into a preacher/"MOTHER" (mother monster was the worst thing ever) instead of that crazy, futuristic, unpredictable enigmatic popstar she was during TF/M

We have no legal choice but to stan

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with everything except the thing you said about artRAVE. I can't imagine any other artist putting on a show like that. It was different but it was still such a huge gaga show.

I do agree though about people seeing her more as a normal artist. But i honestly thing it just comes down to the music and the promotion. We've seen that she's still quite popular and liked as Applause did quite well and so did Cheek to Cheek. 

monsterdreams

I see some of your points so I ain't gonna hate

Haters gonna need more than a flashlight for my shade

So she is normal now?  :usrs:

Yeah, okay. 

Some of your points make sense, but most I don't agree on. 

Rolodex of Hate

I agree with everything except the thing you said about artRAVE. I can't imagine any other artist putting on a show like that. It was different but it was still such a huge gaga show.

I do agree though about people seeing her more as a normal artist. But i honestly thing it just comes down to the music and the promotion. We've seen that she's still quite popular and liked as Applause did quite well and so did Cheek to Cheek. 

Thank you for this! I'm glad you don't see it as a hate thread as that certainly was not the intention.

I wouldn't want to deny her power in the music industry, I just remember when she was at the top of her game, now she is arguably not one of the popular ones.

I take your point on the artRAVE - she does do some crazy typical 'Gaga' things during the show, but compared to her last tours, this is her least theatrical and is not at all driven by any clear concept or story. It's just all one big party, and I have liked how she incorporates a deeper meaning into most of her past works.

So she is normal now?  :usrs:

Yeah, okay. 

Some of your points make sense, but most I don't agree on. 

No, she is certainly not 'normal' now. I just mean that she used to be really crazy and that's what people liked - they had no idea what she would do next. She kept that act going for a long time, but as soon as she started doing more normal things, I think that's what turned people off.

What are your thoughts? Why do you think she's becoming less popular? What I have presented is just one opinion, which may or may not be correct. I'd like to hear what other people think too :spin:

JonathanMinaj2

With TF, TFM & BTW she wore weird costumes, her videos were amazing, her performances were highly entertaining, she was never out of the public eye.....

The Fame (Era) April 2008 - September 2009 / The Fame Monster (Era) October 2009 - February/May 2011 / Born This Way (Era) February 2011 - February 2013 (6 MONTH BREAK) ARTPOP (Era) August 2013 - November 2014. She was constantly there.

Her music was catchy, new and fun.... ARTPOP her music is kinda dated, kind of a heard before.

Her performances and costumes are NOT spectacular like they used to be, she hasn't even wore a really crazy costume during the ARTPOP Era. Also, just a basic lack of interest, she hasn't really captured everyone's attention like she used to.....

She needs to make people remember her again, like getting people talking (e.g. Miley's VMA performance, Wrecking Ball video, Anaconda video) and most important, go back to wearing crazy costumes.

Rolodex of Hate

With TF, TFM & BTW she wore weird costumes, her videos were amazing, her performances were highly entertaining, she was never out of the public eye.....

The Fame (Era) April 2008 - September 2009 / The Fame Monster (Era) October 2009 - February/May 2011 / Born This Way (Era) February 2011 - February 2013 / ARTPOP (Era) August 2013 - November 2014. She was constantly there.

Her music was catchy, new and fun.... ARTPOP her music is kinda dated, kind of a heard before.

Her performances and costumes are NOT spectacular like they used to be, she hasn't even wore a really crazy costume during the ARTPOP Era. Also, just a basic lack of interest, she hasn't really captured everyone's attention like she used to.....

She needs to make people remember her again, like getting people talking (e.g. Miley's VMA performance, Wrecking Ball video, Anaconda video) and most important, go back to wearing crazy costumes.

Thank you, I agree with a lot of this!

However, do you think she should continue with the craziness? Do people want to see her be more normal and 'stripped back' for a change? Do you think people are sick of  the crazy outfits, or would they warm to the act once more?

tumblr_lrnkm7v7601qj6xzto1_500.gif

I am so confused :shrug:

She opened up to much, got too personal + decline in quality of her creative team (I think it is because of the old breakup including LAG).

Pure Adrenaline

it's because Madonna marked her when they were doing the SNL sketch and in 2012 she cursed her :reductive:

It's much more fun to have hizophrenia... u never get lonely

Lona Delery

The Fame (Era) April 2008 - September 2009 / The Fame Monster (Era) October 2009 - February/May 2011 / Born This Way (Era) February 2011 - February 2013 (6 MONTH BREAK) ARTPOP (Era) August 2013 - November 2014. She was constantly there.

I agree with most of it, though I think it'd be better if she would not wear crazy costumes.

It's the complete opposite of what she has done all the time - people will start talking about "how normal Gaga dresses", especially tabloids will catch up on it. Free promo.

Sometimes it feels like I've got a war in my mind, I wanna get off but I keep riding the ride

Brooke Candy

a regular, basic pop star..?!

Gurl f*cking Bye.

buy 'Paper or Plastic' by Brooke candy on iTunes NOW!!

Archived