💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Why I think Gaga's Less Popular

Rolodex of Hate

Featured Posts

GAGA IS A QUEEN

I disagree. Poker Face was when Gaga was this quirky partygirl and it remains one of her biggest hits. You need something relatable in your image, more importantly, a certain charm that goes with something outrageous. Gaga lost that in the middle of Born This Way era.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rolodex of Hate

Here's an excerpt of an article that supports my opinion:

We could probably do with more jazz. Although solidly entertaining, this artRAVE Ball feels closer to standard arena pop than it does to Gaga’s previous Balls, in which hydraulics and high concepts kept the synapses pinging. The latex’n’lasers section, where Gaga sings Sexx Dreams, finds no new take on the dry-humping of chaises-longues. At no point does she give birth to herself, like some parthenogenic goddess. More’s the pity.

We have no legal choice but to stan

I think Gaga is entering a new phase in her career. Remember when she said "This is the end of the beginning of my career"? She's ready to let her talent speak for itself without hindering it with intricate concepts and gimmicks. Gaga has something a lot of pop stars don't, and that's soul. When she sings, you know that it comes straight from the heart, and while I do enjoy songs like Poker Face or Just Dance, which are extremely fun and catchy, I don't think they represent what Gaga is all about. Gaga is so much more than just fun party songs, she has the ability to write songs that are deep and heartfelt and to truly connect with a song. Take Lush Life for example. Of course she didn't write it, but she truly connects with that song, so when she sings it, you can feel the emotion in every word. No other pop star has the ability to move me to tears the way Gaga does. I think she's starting to show the world her true potential, and I cannot wait to see what she has in store for us, because I have a feeling we're going to be blown away. 

This.  She has done this with her ballads her entire career, and that phrasing made her jazz ability evident even early on.  She could make a career singing and playing piano, like Elton in a way, and look how popular he is.

I live outside the space time continuum.

giskardsb

Am I the only one who loves the fact that she's not the enigmatic, mysterious pop star from the TF era anymore? I mean, sure people were fascinated by her but I like her much more now that she's not afraid to open up and to show her vulnerable side. She's a human after all, and people seem to forget that. She used to rely a lot on gimmicks and shock value, which obviously served a purpose since she wanted people to talk about her, but let's face it, there's no way it could've lasted forever. 

I think Gaga is entering a new phase in her career. Remember when she said "This is the end of the beginning of my career"? She's ready to let her talent speak for itself without hindering it with intricate concepts and gimmicks. Gaga has something a lot of pop stars don't, and that's soul. When she sings, you know that it comes straight from the heart, and while I do enjoy songs like Poker Face or Just Dance, which are extremely fun and catchy, I don't think they represent what Gaga is all about. Gaga is so much more than just fun party songs, she has the ability to write songs that are deep and heartfelt and to truly connect with a song. Take Lush Life for example. Of course she didn't write it, but she truly connects with that song, so when she sings it, you can feel the emotion in every word. No other pop star has the ability to move me to tears the way Gaga does. I think she's starting to show the world her true potential, and I cannot wait to see what she has in store for us, because I have a feeling we're going to be blown away. 

Well Said.  Pop is the only genre I know where people actively seem to prefer treating their stars as enigmatic robotic mystery people who are somehow above all normal human issues.  I think it's because many people look to pop for escapism and don't want to be reminded of the reality of life, they just want to escape from the real world, have fun, and not think about issues.  it's why few people seem to care about the prevalence of Autotune removing the soul from vocals, or lip sync performances, or writing teams that enable pop stars to pump out albums full of hits du jour every year.  The fullest extension of that of course is completely artificial pop stars that actually have fan bases.  

Give me the human activist with a musicians soul and the desire to speak her mind.  The one who rebels against labeling and being boxed into a particular view.  The one that stands up for an entire community even when many in that community would prefer she not bother if it costs her hits and pop status.

Whispering

Here's an excerpt of an article that supports my opinion:

And there are excerpts from dozens of other articles and reviews from around the world that praise artRave for exactly what it is. There are countless fans here and on other sites from all over the world that are saying the same thing- they loved and enjoyed artRave more than the previous shows. I was with a big group of mostly casual fans at my show and we met a bunch of fans afterwards and everyone was saying the same thing- They "enjoyed artRave more than Gaga's other tours" or "it was the best concert they had ever been to"!

What does this mean? I suspect it is because casual fans and the GP aren't all into Gaga's dark songs and shows or the heavy themes. My friends, who are mostly casual fans, never got what all the themes were supposed to be about anyway. Seriously, it's mostly angsty stans that got into all of that. Most fans and casual fans just want to go to a fun concert and a good visual show with good performances.The fact that Gaga is one of the best entertainers alive just made this fun show nothing but spectacular...a two hour adrenaline rush...complete and utter joy and happiness! The majority of concert goers enjoy an experience like that, over some dark thematic show.

Beyoncè shows home footage, has a child with Jay Z yet she is still one of the most popular/powerful pop artists. SUCCESSFUL.

LORDE talks and writes songs about how she's scared of growing old and death. She's fairly new, and relatable. SUCCESSFUL.

Nicki Minaj literally has no "mystery". Nothing to hide, not even her fat ass. SUCCESSFUL.

I don't understand this topic really. Do people really expect Gaga to be a "mystery" for 100 years?

There are artists who barely show their real voice/face in their music and they're not even close to being as successful/popular as Gaga currently is.

Rolodex of Hate

Beyoncè shows home footage, has a child with Jay Z yet she is still one of the most popular/powerful pop artists. SUCCESSFUL.

LORDE talks and writes songs about how she's scared of growing old and death. She's fairly new, and relatable. SUCCESSFUL.

Nicki Minaj literally has no "mystery". Nothing to hide, not even her fat ass. SUCCESSFUL.

I don't understand this topic really. Do people really expect Gaga to be a "mystery" for 100 years?

There are artists who barely show their real voice/face in their music and they're not even close to being as successful/popular as Gaga currently is.

I take your point, but I'm merely trying to see what is different now to before when she was at her peak. Many other members agree with me and I think I have a point :shrug:

We have no legal choice but to stan

SychosSoChic

Stopped reading (lol not really) when you said 

Now, she's become much more of a normal person.

The Hip Injury Blackout made things remarkably difficult for everyone since Gaga completely fell off of the face of the planet for the whole time. ARTPOP came and was promising, then DWUW came and that blackout lasted for two months and made the ARTPOP era unbearable because everything just went downhill from there. Blame the management or whatever you want, the point is that after DWUW Gaga lost it. G.U.Y didn't get nearly enough promo, something that plagued ARTPOP from the beginning. 

Gaga and her team, bless all their souls, honestly, just need to get their **** together for the next album in regards to promoting. That's where ARTPOP fell on its face. 

Gaga couldn't be on top of the world forever, she had to slip and fall so she could climb back up again.

Life ain't Hollywood for any one of us.

Too many blackouts, false promises, unsure of the direction she's going - have all contributed somewhat to her demise. 

Precisely.

When I heard TF and TFM, I kept saying to myself "it's catchy and all, but this is the work of a classically-trained pianist? It's four chords and über-simple melodies." Then BTW and AP came out, and I appreciated the music more because it was more expansive and she wasn't spoon-feeding anymore.

But those are the songs the GP will remember. I, for one, fall in love with a song that is catchy. Lyrics are secondary to me - I fall in love with the melody. In total honesty, a song could be about a sock, but if the melody itself is catchy, then it is incredible to me. This doesn't happen just to me, but to others too. It's that exact earworm that made Gaga's first initial music so popular. 

I would argue that "Applause" and "DWUW" had everything it takes to fill that void. Not the best songs on AP, but they were refreshing, well-produced, and catchy as HELL. But, the public clearly wasn't here for Gaga, and it's a shame because her music is far superior than the songs that make it big nowadays. Unfortunately, that's the kind of stuff that no artist can really control.

This.  And other songs were catchy, like Gypsy.  More promo would have made a difference, but management/label dropped the ball.  Fans keep track of what is going on, but the public didn't even know about Gaga's new songs or that she was still around at all, and that's just bad promo.

I live outside the space time continuum.

nativenewyorker

I made this same exact thread a while ago, lol. I completely agree. I've come to the conclusion that humanizing herself was probably good for her mental health but terrible for her persona. 

RainingOnMe

basically to sum it up;

art pop was disappointing to most fans and she's not released pop in a long time.

juicyjuicy

Preach it sis. Totally agree. That's what drew me into Gaga so much in the first place - the fact that she was enigmatic/mysterious - that I kept wanting to know MORE and MORE about her.

Archived