💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

PHOTO: Ellie Goulding dresses as Mr. Blobby & a hot Indian

Paper Planes

Featured Posts

That's good, but many do. See comment below.

It's a long and complicated issue. It doesn't upset me, but I I'm not going to question the Native Americans who are offended by it.

As always, not every person of every minority, ethnic group, race, etc. is going to feel the same, but when there is a general consensus coming from that group...I try to respect that.

Oh, that's fine I don't want a debate, I try to respect other people too. :haha: I just saw the op comment and decided to share the mess I saw today on tubmlr. lol

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://dailycaller.com/2014/10/27/navajo-nation-high-school-mascot-is-redskins/

At a recent Red Mesa Redskins football, game, the Post reporter found dedicated parents stamping the bleachers and signs in the raucous, festive crowd reading “Redskin Nation†and “Fear the Spear.â€

The school isn’t without its problems, of course. Despite a new $400,000 football field full of spongy artificial turf (paid for by federal largesse), the school’s water fountains are currently unusable because of contaminated water. Academically, only 36 of the students are proficient on a statewide math exam.

“There’s more important things to worry about than ‘Redskins,’†senior football player Arlo Begay told the Post.

Almost 90 percent of the students and over 70 percent of the teachers at Red Mesa favor keeping the Redskins mascot, according to a survey completed this month.

A 2004 poll by the Annenberg Public Policy Center poll concurs with this sentiment. That survey found that the Redskins name does not offend 90 percent of all actual Native Americans in the United States.

The feelings of the actual Navajo Nation members or actual Native Americans in general has done nothing to stop a very small but very dedicated group of deeply offended activists from lobbying the Washington Redskins football team to change its mascot or trying to force a name change through federal coercion.

There's a huge difference, IMHO, between wearing a headdress with no obvious intent of mockery (as Ellie and Gwen did), and using the term "Redskins", which is intrinsically racist. It's like calling the team the "Washington Niggers". And the guy who named the team was a notorious racist, so it's not like we should assume it was an innocent mistake.

Whispering

I don't think there is a consensus. At least at the level of Halloween costumes.

True. It is definitely more of a grey area, more so than using it for a video or magazine cover. (and that's still grey for many)

Like I said, it doesn't bother me (especially in these types of situations) but I would respect a Native American's opinion if they said it bothered them.

Don't forget the iconic hit of Mr Blobby that went #1 on UK chart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h37KQu64RY4

Whispering

http://dailycaller.com/2014/10/27/navajo-nation-high-school-mascot-is-redskins/

At a recent Red Mesa Redskins football, game, the Post reporter found dedicated parents stamping the bleachers and signs in the raucous, festive crowd reading “Redskin Nation†and “Fear the Spear.â€

The school isn’t without its problems, of course. Despite a new $400,000 football field full of spongy artificial turf (paid for by federal largesse), the school’s water fountains are currently unusable because of contaminated water. Academically, only 36 of the students are proficient on a statewide math exam.

“There’s more important things to worry about than ‘Redskins,’†senior football player Arlo Begay told the Post.

Almost 90 percent of the students and over 70 percent of the teachers at Red Mesa favor keeping the Redskins mascot, according to a survey completed this month.

A 2004 poll by the Annenberg Public Policy Center poll concurs with this sentiment. That survey found that the Redskins name does not offend 90 percent of all actual Native Americans in the United States.

The feelings of the actual Navajo Nation members or actual Native Americans in general has done nothing to stop a very small but very dedicated group of deeply offended activists from lobbying the Washington Redskins football team to change its mascot or trying to force a name change through federal coercion.

Survey on Redskins team name found most American Indians believe it to be offensive and racist.

The Center for Indigenous Peoples Studies at California State University, San Bernardino has conducted

a study on racial and ethnic perspectives on the team name Redskins and associated issues, and found that the large majority of American Indians, when properly identified and polled, find the team name offensive, disrespectful and racist.

The first question on the survey tells the basic story:

The Redskins team name is a racial or racist word and symbol.

American Indians were 67 % in agreement, 12 % were neutral and 20 % disagreed with the statement.

Other ethnic groups are spread across the three major categories of seeing the term Redskins as racist, as neutral, or disagreeing in seeing Redskins as racially offensive. Whites were 33% in agreement, 26% neutral, and 41% disagreed the term was racial, generally the reverse of American Indian responses. The neutral category played a significant role for whites in allowing them to not be seen as “racist†– upon further a--lysis more than 60% of whites reject the term Redskins as racist, while more than 60% of Indians see the term Redskins as racist.

The survey was conducted based on similar work done on the Cleveland Indians Chief Wahoo mascot, when a--lysts found mainstream research agendas systematically mis-identified Native Americans to benefit dominant ideologies that American Indians supported the mascot and team name.

When the second question was answered by American Indians, (The name-symbol Redskins is disrespectful of Native Americans) the agreement rose to 68.4 % and those in disagreement fell slightly to 19.4 %.

For Whites, the numbers were mostly in reverse.

Archived