Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

One year later: Was it a good idea to cancel DWUW?

SIRE

64 members have voted

1. 1. DWUW canceling a good idea?

• yes she dodged a bullet
    • excuse me no

Featured Posts

On one hand if she released a video for it, it probably would have gone viral like Wrecking Ball and Anaconda and would have secured DWUW a top 5 spot on the Hot 100. This would likely have helped the era as a whole too, ARTPOP would have probably stayed on the charts somewhat longer and it could've helped G.U.Y. as well.

On the other hand the video was associated with not one but two s-xual predators and it would likely have received amounts of backlash not seen since Judas, and that could've affeceted the era as well.

What do you think?

One year later and I still don't understand why she didnt just shoot another video.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wasn't a good idea to cancel Venus.

DWUW should have been the third single, which would've given her the time to plan out the video and era like she had with Venus. Regardless of Venus's chart performance, it would've been better and smoother for the era if DWUW had either been the second single from the get-go or pushed back to the third single.

Arturo

It obviously would have been best to release it but the song did fine in the end without a video so whatever.

thatfoxyfeeling

No, they cancelled Venus and decided to go with DWUW instead. She could have released a video with Xtina. 

Batwings

Venus shouldn't have been canceled in favor of DWUW. I will always feel that way.

As for the DWUW video, I've said this from the beginning, and I still feel the same way: If Gaga didn't want it released, there's probably a good reason, so I'm going to trust her decision in the matter.

FATCAT

I wish Venus would have gotten its lime light. That song is really something special.

Purr more, hiss less.

Morphine Prince

As a fan I say no, but as a business/image move it was right. There was too much going on with R. Kelly and her ex-management. We still don't know everything. And after seeing the leaked clips in June.... some scenes are just not what I would expect from Gaga. At least we got the hot gif of her naked. I will always love DWUW and its potential though.

Jewels n Drugs

It should've been released... still waiting on TMZ to leak it tbh :manicure:

--

Its kinda sad tbh cos she really wanted Venus

oh look when you werent looking my motorcycle turned into a piano

RichAssPiss

No. The controversy would have been more promo than ever. We are in the era of smash hit YouTube controversy vids (Wrecking Ball, Anaconda). It's exactly what the album needed. The video would have pushed the single to the top 10 on Billboard. The album would have retained momentum. 

GagaXCupcakke

What if R. Kelly didn't want the video to be released so Gaga stopped it for him.  Troy wanted the video to be released for the money but Gaga wanted to respect R. Kelly's wishes even though she didn"t have to

PopReaper

It probably would have brought her image down because she'd be associated to 2 rapists in a video where one of them does things to her while she's asleep... which doesn't sound right at all. imo Venus shouldn't have been canceled in the first place. It might have flopped, but the era would've flown waaay better.

Fun Fact: The K in KPop stands for "Kate Bush"

Yes, but she did not quite dodge the bullet since parts of it leaked and got shown by TMZ. Still, that was a good move.

I do really want to see it one day though. :messga:

Anderson123

I think they made a mistake by releasing Do What U Want as a promo single. It's like a highlight of the album, it's like releasing The Edge of Glory.. you just don't make a song a promo single if it's good enough to be an official single, let alone that, but one of the best songs on the album. I don't know what happened behind the scenes, but they should've kept Do What U Want there and not show any snippet of it, and perhaps if they wanted a promo single, they could've just used ARTPOP, MANiCURE, Sex Dreams or even Dope.

And of course, everyone loved Do What U Want and they quickly changed their minds and screwed up Venus. I'm not the biggest fan of Venus, but they should've kept that as the official second single, and do things more relaxed, but I guess so many things were happening at the same time that it ended up being a mess.

I don't know what the original plan was, but we know Aura was supposed to be the lead single, that would've been an amazing choice. I'm happy with Applause, which was quiet and cute, but I remember they had plans to release Gypsy as second single, but then Gaga wanted Venus, either song would've been a good choice back then, and just wait until the album was released and leave Do What U Want as third or fourth single.

BACK ON TOPIC. Knowing the world, if she released the original music video for Do What U Want, it'd have been huge backlash because it's Gaga, but Miley and Nicki can release dumb s-xual videos and go viral because they're not Gaga.

Archived