131 members have voted

1. 1. Biggest Potential Hit

• Starstruck
    • Dance in the Dark
    • ScheiÃ?e
    • Gypsy

Featured Posts

The utter delusion of people thinking DITD could've smashed. :rip:

Top 10, yes. An Alejandro sized hit for the U.S.

Starstruck on the other hand... You mean her best selling non single? :creepflop:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anderson123

People said the same thing about Marry The Night and GUY, and there you go. The music video for both songs were stunning but fans kept saying these two songs were "hits waiting to happen" and never did. The same thing could be said about Gypsy, Scheiße and Dance In The Dark, and maybe they'd not be as successful as the first, second and maybe third singles.

As far as potential hits, I'd go for Monster, and maybe Gypsy if it was released as a second single, not right now.

Cody Draco

Starstruck would have sold a sh*tload but it would have been forgotten pretty soon.

I think it would've been a LoveGame sized success and overshadowed by LoveGame and Paparazzi.

Starstruck without a doubt. First, because it's from The Fame wherein all of her singles topped the Pop Songs chart. She had the momentum, and with smash hits like Just Dance and Poker Face, a song like Starstruck could have easily sold at least 4 million worldwide. Second reason - Flo Rida was a huge name back then too (he had his own 2009 smash hit, Right Round, which spent more weeks at #1 than JD and PF, combined). He's obviously bigger than Colby O'Donis. Among all the options listed above, it's the song which I believe has the biggest chance to become a top five hit, if only released during its album run. 

FameHookah

Starstruck is the obvious answer. Easily would have been her 3rd number 1 in the US.

Fashion :giveup:

Starstruck, Fashion and Boys Boys Boys aka The wasted trinity from The Fame :giveup:

Wut?

Fashion wasnt even on the fame

But yeah these songs slay :cryga: :giveup:

WTF is MDNA

Jewels n Drugs

Gypsy would have flopped if Gaga did G.U.Y ish promo for it tho

oh look when you werent looking my motorcycle turned into a piano

blacklistedd

Scheiße is so amazing and could have had potential to be a hit. Gypsy has really awful lyrics and it would have turned people off especially the one word lazy chorus. 

Starstruck could have had potential too since it sounded fresh in 2008/2009 with fun relatable lyrics to go out at night. I love dance in the dark and its one of my favorite songs ever and its a shame the label chose a cheesy song like telephone over it.

I don't think the Gypsy lyrics are especially lazy at all. If word repetition is a problem for you then by that logic you shouldn't like more than half of her discography (Poker Face, Paparazzi, etc.). The only problem with Gypsy being a single is that matter of it apparently being a racial slur. Social justice is all the rage right now and people would be on her ass for it like mad. Look at the response to Aura, imagine if either of them had become a single? It would've been that x10.

Sheisse was a lost opportunity. Things for that era could've been drastically different had that been the lead single, things would've been drastically more positive. Monster was also a lost opportunity as well as Dance In the Dark. I never understood why Starstruck is seen as a potential single, I mean I guess but its so bland. It didn't sound fresh at all back then imo, it sounded like a cliche. Im apparently among the few that believes Summerboy could've been big. Cute, fun, infectious and it was way more pop than anything on the radio at the time which to me makes it more fresh than that urban tinged flo-rida dullness. I mean everything was urban laced at the time. I dont understand why its deemed so fresh by the majority.

Alien Tulip

I don't think the Gypsy lyrics are especially lazy at all. If word repetition is a problem for you then by that logic you shouldn't like more than half of her discography (Poker Face, Paparazzi, etc.). 

No I don't have a problem with repetition but Gypsy sounds lazy in a way where the song goes nowhere and the chorus may sound loud but that doesn't make it "big". She sounds old in the song and that's not my taste and the verses are cheesy in my opinion.

blacklistedd

No I don't have a problem with repetition but Gypsy sounds lazy in a way where the song goes nowhere and the chorus may sound loud but that doesn't make it "big". She sounds old in the song and that's not my taste and the verses are cheesy in my opinion.

I disagree that the song goes nowhere, I disagree that its lazy, and I also disagree that it fails to be "big". However, I do agree that the song does not sound youthful and is cheeseball-ish. It harks back to the cheeseball-ness of songs like The Edge of Glory and Hair off the previous album. That 80s stadium anthem sort of sound. Which is also not my taste either. Although I don't mind Gypsy or The Edge of Glory however they are not highlights for me.

Archived