Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Does this fanbase care more about the promo than the product?

Quark

Featured Posts

I care about both because one cannot live without another in pop music. Many monsters forget that in pop music you must be popular, otherwise your songs die fast instead becoming a legends.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PopBitch

Gaga is not the one who decides how and how much her album is promoted. She decides how it will be executed, but landing those promotional spots is not her job. And she's not immune to big corporate entities telling her the album is dead and that they will no longer fund her promotional tour or release more singles to radio.

The "more promo" complaint is petty. It's presumptuous and it's shallow. It's the easiest blame to give when there are more complex, hidden reasons why the ARTPOP era ultimately crashed and burned after its 3rd single. Namely, her label probably pulled the plug. It's probably not too far-fetched to speculate that they tried to pull the plug after DWUW, but Gaga fought for G.U.Y. and its eventual flop was the last nail to the coffin as far as the execs were concerned. It just wasn't profitable to send Gaga to Australia or France or Taiwan to promote her album like she did with BTW. It's frustrating to me that people don't get that. And it's frustrating to me that they act like she didn't at least go to Canada, the U.K., Germany, and Japan. I guarantee her label would have extended her album promotional tour if ARTPOP and the first two singles had been received better by the media, critics, and fans.

So you can continue saying that "a pop album needs to be the full-package" until you move onto complaining about the next era, but Gaga does not provide that "full-package" by herself. It's a team effort between her, her management, and her label. An album only goes as far as a label says it can. Hence why we have albums like Lotus and Britney Jean which only had two singles and like zero promotion. ARTPOP was promotional heaven compared to those two albums.

When the albums aren't selling well like Lotus and Britney Jean from the get-go, the label isn't going to keep throwing bad money after bad money  It doesn't make financial sense.  Christina did a great video that cost money to a great song, and nobody cared.  She doesn't do much to promote her own albums, so why is a  label going to throw more money against an album that flopped, no matter what single was released or even her high profile performance on her own show?   Christina's fan base and general public from The Voice could have cared less about her.  Yet, for Adam Levine, it revived his career.  The Voice helped him sell albums.  

South Blonde

Obviously, the promo is what keeps the era going, if the era is short lived she might as well not put out singles. Promo keeps the momentum going and keeps the fans excited about the development of the album era. 

Don't you think maybe they are the same thing? Love and attention?

When the albums aren't selling well like Lotus and Britney Jean from the get-go, the label isn't going to keep throwing bad money after bad money It doesn't make financial sense. Christina did a great video that cost money to a great song, and nobody cared. She doesn't do much to promote her own albums, so why is a label going to throw more money against an album that flopped, no matter what single was released or even her high profile performance on her own show? Christina's fan base and general public from The Voice could have cared less about her. Yet, for Adam Levine, it revived his career. The Voice helped him sell albums.

This is exactly my point.

ARTPOP reached it's cultural/commercial peak and her label saw that.

Yes, promotion kick starts an album and that's exactly what interscope did with ARTPOP. Promo was huge during the Applause and DWUW eras, but the album was going nowhere fast.

It's ridiculous to expect them to keep throwing money at a project when it clearly lost its momentum even when it had promo. People weren't interested. End of story.

So to all these people who are ~disappointed~ that Gaga abandoned ARTPOP, **** off. You're ignoring a key piece to the puzzle. Companies assess a product to decide whether they're gonna keep rolling with it.

Gaga said BTW would have 8-10 singles and I'm sure at one point she thought that was feasible. BTW was #1 for six weeks. The album debuted with over a million in sales. Media attention was massive. But the album cycle eventually fizzled. Interscope pulled the plug when MTN failed to reach expectations. Betrayal? No, kids, it's business. You can't blame Gaga for stuff like this.

ALSO, keep in mind that big promotional slots like CNN interviews or whatever aren't a given. There has to be a demand for her for them to want her on the show. Gaga's not doing THEM a favor by appearing on their shows. It's the other way around now.

She can't just walk up to Larry King and ask him to interview her about ARTPOP.

"Gaga? I heard her album is flopping in comparison to Katy Perry's. Let's pass on her."

So is not possible to enjoy an album without anything else?

Yes.  If she made a song or an album and did nothing else but tweet it or post a mention somewhere on any social networking site, I would buy it and enjoy it.  Her fans would find her music without the promo.

I live outside the space time continuum.

Archived