Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

BET Suspends '106 & Park' Producer for Blue Ivy Hair Joke

Dangerous Man

Featured Posts

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's offensive because blue ivy is two and a half years old and she's already being criticised for the way she looks yet we wonder why there's been such a big boom of self consciousness in our generation

there's an issue in the black community where women spend a ton of money on acidic compounds to burn their hair to look straighter or "more white". Her hair was obviously combed. The "joke" was that she had natural hair and that natural hair is somehow unkempt or dirty. It's offensive.

There is also an issue in the white community of people spending money on tanning to burn their naturally white skin a darker shade, and people make jokes about pale skin looking pasty or ghostly.

Willy Wonka

There is also an issue in the white community of people spending money on tanning to burn their naturally white skin a darker shade, and people make jokes about pale skin looking pasty or ghostly.

Not the same whatsoever

Shawn Knowles

not the same at all but okay hun ;)

Dangerous Man

Guys it isn't a slight joke. Lol. I know a black woman and she was always being criticized for her black thick kinda afro hair that looks like it isnt being combed lol. That's racist imo.

"A little less conversation and a little more touch my body."

Not the same whatsoever

They aren't totally different. You can't say 100% of black women who prefer "white" styled hair are doing it for racial self-hatings reasons and not mere aesthetics.

I can point you to at least one pop star with red hair and very pale skin who felt bullied for those traits. Nicola Roberts: http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/girls-alouds-nicola-roberts-taunted-389809

there's an issue in the black community where women spend a ton of money on acidic compounds to burn their hair to look straighter or "more white". Her hair was obviously combed. The "joke" was that she had natural hair and that natural hair is somehow unkempt or dirty. It's offensive.

:yes: BET only did the most appropriate thing here. The "joke" in the form of racial mockery is simply uncalled for, especially at this day and age where observance of social equality is/should be expected.

MonsterVSAnimal

It's a joke no matter what. Shouldn't be taken so seriously. This is the kind of stuff that annoys me

:yes: BET only did the most appropriate thing here. The "joke" in the form of racial mockery is simply uncalled for, especially at this day and age where observance of social equality is/should be expected.

The host who made the joke was black, and I bet the producer was too.

So it has nothing to do with black equality vs. white people.

The host who made the joke was black, and I bet the producer was too.

So it has nothing to do with black equality vs. white people.

The "joke" remains offensive and racist, even if the source of it belongs to the same race being prejudiced. It's still aimed towards ridiculing someone based on discriminatory stereotypes. And as I've said, this type of commentary should no longer be made on television under the premise that the campaign for social equality has long been accepted and practiced. Equality should always be given and observed to all, across all races. That "joke" failed to do that. 

Tommymonster44

This. Most of the people here are probably very young and from many different countries, though. It's threads like these that I have to remember that many here don't know about black american social issues.

Archived