• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Child

Love this picture !

BujPqEeCQAACAP7.jpg

But Britney was the one who made pink wigs famous, let's not forget this :

618_showbiz_pink_hair_britney_spears.jpg

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

No Angel

Love this picture !

But Britney was the one who made pink wigs famous, let's not forget this :

618_showbiz_pink_hair_britney_spears.jpg

All jokes aside, I would actually say Britney has had her fair share of memorable outfits pre-Gaga... a lot of musicians, too. Lol

The Child

All jokes aside, I would actually say Britney has had her fair share of outrageous outfits pre-Gaga... a lot of musicians, too. Lol

Yeah but like Britney brought back teen pop music, Gaga brought back the shocking outfits.

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

Robinladen

Gaga got the Queen of Pop pressed enough to write a lead single about her and to cover one of her songs on tour. Icon. :ARTPOP:

djBuffoon

Cheers!

I've always said, even if Gaga hasn't typically made the most popular choices, she does what she believes in. And that is why her legacy is secure.

LilVenusian

Sorry but i'm going to have to be the devil's advocate here:
Of course your going to overstate an artists influence when they are your faves, but being a cultural icon is more about standing the test of time, like a good 20-30 years or so. If gaga still has a large amount cultural pull and musical significance then she can be considered an "icon". In my personal opinion, I think gaga is probably going to do her own thing and shy away from being this big mainstream icon, nonetheless, that early success and visibility will stay with her in the form of a dedicated and passionate fan base. She just dosen't have that wide enough appeal, and is certainly not concerned with that, with the way her music and general presentation is going.  People throw the word icon around too much imo,  if you have to call someone an icon, and then write a whole essay on why they are, then they're probably aren't yet. Icons are just icons and they become that with time. It cant be forced or proclaimed, especially 6 years into someones career.

Bebe

Sorry but i'm going to have to be the devil's advocate here:

Of course your going to overstate an artists influence when they are your faves, but being a cultural icon is more about standing the test of time, like a good 20-30 years or so. If gaga still has a large amount cultural pull and musical significance then she can be considered an "icon". In my personal opinion, I think gaga is probably going to do her own thing and shy away from being this big mainstream icon, nonetheless, that early success and visibility will stay with her in the form of a dedicated and passionate fan base. She just dosen't have that wide enough appeal, and is certainly not concerned with that, with the way her music and general presentation is going.  People throw the word icon around too much imo,  if you have to call someone an icon, and then write a whole essay on why they are, then they're probably aren't yet. Icons are just icons and they become that with time. It cant be forced or proclaimed, especially 6 years into someones career.

Koons will surely be remembered in 20-30 years, Hearst Castle will be remembered, Gaga saved the Versace brand from going bankrupt they are a very influential brand with a strong legacy to Gaga. Nathan Sawaya is a pop artist that will likely be discussed in 20-30 years.

Beyonce is an icon that will be remembered, Madonna and Katy both have a large part of their legacy intertwined with Gaga.

She has appeared on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine 3 times already. She has been on the cover of US Vogue twice including the coveted September issue.

She is about to release a Jazz album with Tony Bennett. She has iconic MTV moments such as the meat dress and Paparazzi performance. She has performed with Elton John numerous times and is the Godmother to Elton and David's baby. She has written for Britney Spears. She has appeared in an episode of The Simpsons and has worked with The Muppets. TEOG featured a saxaphone solo by Clarence Clemons who passed away just days after he appeared in the music video for TEOG.

When it comes to discussing the 2000's people will have to mention 2008/2009 as the breakout years for Lady Gaga.

When it comes to discussing the 2010's people will be discussing Gaga's dominance. She has been a massive force for the past 4 years and is still working with legendary artists and planning moments such as a performance in space.

Gaga has given people enough to talk about and she is already plays a significant role in the legacy of some very iconic people. Trust that Gaga is already an icon. She is only in the beginnings of a very successful world tour that is supporting her #1 album ARTPOP and is getting ready to launch a perfume. I would say she has at least some mainstream appeal  :dies: 

LilVenusian

Koons will surely be remembered in 20-30 years, Hearst Castle will be remembered, Gaga saved the Versace brand from going bankrupt they are a very influential brand with a strong legacy to Gaga. Nathan Sawaya is a pop artist that will likely be discussed in 20-30 years.

Beyonce is an icon that will be remembered, Madonna and Katy both have a large part of their legacy intertwined with Gaga.

She has appeared on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine 3 times already. She has been on the cover of US Vogue twice including the coveted September issue.

She is about to release a Jazz album with Tony Bennett. She has iconic MTV moments such as the meat dress and Paparazzi performance. She has performed with Elton John numerous times and is the Godmother to Elton and David's baby. She has written for Britney Spears. She has appeared in an episode of The Simpsons and has worked with The Muppets. TEOG featured a saxaphone solo by Clarence Clemons who passed away just days after he appeared in the music video for TEOG.

When it comes to discussing the 2000's people will have to mention 2008/2009 as the breakout years for Lady Gaga.

When it comes to discussing the 2010's people will be discussing Gaga's dominance. She has been a massive force for the past 4 years and is still working with legendary artists and planning moments such as a performance in space.

Gaga has given people enough to talk about and she is already plays a significant role in the legacy of some very iconic people. Trust that Gaga is already an icon. She is only in the beginnings of a very successful world tour that is supporting her #1 album ARTPOP and is getting ready to launch a perfume. I would say she has at least some mainstream appeal  :dies: 

Your kind of missing my point. You cant just go around bringing up receipts proclaiming that they will definitely be remembered 20-30 years down the line. That's not for us to decide. Being a cultural icon is something that has to be earned with time. Saying this as a stan, I can clearly see that Gagas influence on mainstream trends and culture has already significantly waned. I hope that gaga can overcome this and become and icon for her time, but It is still much to early judge.

Just as a side note, I think being an "icon" is not even that great. I've noticed that once artists become these solidified, respected icons they become complacent and stop striving for greatness. Thats why we see some of the best popstars of 80's and 90's releasing complete crap now. I would hate for gaga to get this mentality that she is already an icon, because it would kind of imply that shes got nothing left to prove. I honestly want to see gaga push herself to heights even further, and not just rely or be defined by that massive early success and recognition.

Archived