💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Pitchfork drags Katy Perry's Prism Tour while praising Gaga and Miley

heavyMetalGAGA

Featured Posts

Yeah, I'm actually a Katy Cat. I have a shrine for her in my house and have so far gone to 7 Prismatic World Tour shows. Only 31 more to go! #ThisIsHowWeDo.

:lmao::rip:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Levine

That soon will be forgotten, just like the majority of her other vapid material. 

Clocked. 

Reminds me of another tour we all love...

No one loved the MDNA tour, get out. 

I never read long posts (yeah, I know  :deadbanana: ), but I was hooked into reading yours. I loved everything you said.

:applause:  :applause:  :applause:

Thank you.  :shy:

LoveandMagic

I agree a lot with this article. I don't fault Katy for making a killing and achieving fame for the stuff she does. There will always be a Katy or two in the pop industry, there's a strong market for this. Can't fault her for being cute and charming enough to be able to capitalize on it. But I always wonder if at her age, on some level, she doesn't feel a little silly singing some of the stuff she does and wearing some of those outfits nearing Thirty. If not, kudos. I'm genuinely glad she's living the dream. But I think at some point she may want to go back to a more mature, acoustic sound. Honestly, I think there are ways for her to achieve that goal, it's just if that's a path she really wants to take is a question I often wonder.

Oh well, congrats on your tour being a success Katy.

Also I am curious if anyone thinks that when there was talk of Prism originally being a dark album,is it possible Katy's management nixed the idea?

Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show. I should really just relax."

StrawberryBlond

Also I am curious if anyone thinks that when there was talk of Prism originally being a dark album,is it possible Katy's management nixed the idea?

I am 100% sure of it. It was clear Katy loved the more serious choice of songs as well as elements of what was happening to her right now when she released The One That Got Away, Part Of Me and Wide Awake. If she had her way, I'm sure that's the kind of music she'd be making more of. Even the way she was dressing shortly after her era ended (black hair with purple streaks, plum lipstick, long dark dresses) suggested that she wasn't kidding when she said she was planning a darker album. I'm sure she had visions of an Alanis Morrisette/Avril Lavigne/Pink type of aggressive pop rock mixed with affecting ballads. My guess is that she presented these ideas to Capitol and they were too afraid of losing the audience she had just gained who loved her sugary sweet pop music and kooky girly outfits. They realise that she can't make this music forever, but her audience needed to be slowly weaned off of it, instead of being forced to deal with a complete 180 image change which they may reject. Her very bright, floral album cover, putting a packet of seeds inside, having most of the songs sound like outtakes from Teenage Dream and encouraging people to buy the album and "let the light in" was so different to what she had talked about so passionately previously that there had to be some label intervention.

TheOriginalOne

As much as I don't like Katy, this review and this thread seems like just a bunch of pressed hating. Come on, Miley was eating thongs and shit on her tour.

And the fact that they compared Miley's tour to Adventure Time :grr:

drinkmytears

is it? Gaga's attendence at her ArtRAVE is much higher tho....and the reviews are raving overall.....

Katy is making more money though

LoveandMagic

I am 100% sure of it. It was clear Katy loved the more serious choice of songs as well as elements of what was happening to her right now when she released The One That Got Away, Part Of Me and Wide Awake. If she had her way, I'm sure that's the kind of music she'd be making more of. Even the way she was dressing shortly after her era ended (black hair with purple streaks, plum lipstick, long dark dresses) suggested that she wasn't kidding when she said she was planning a darker album. I'm sure she had visions of an Alanis Morrisette/Avril Lavigne/Pink type of aggressive pop rock mixed with affecting ballads. My guess is that she presented these ideas to Capitol and they were too afraid of losing the audience she had just gained who loved her sugary sweet pop music and kooky girly outfits. They realise that she can't make this music forever, but her audience needed to be slowly weaned off of it, instead of being forced to deal with a complete 180 image change which they may reject. Her very bright, floral album cover, putting a packet of seeds inside, having most of the songs sound like outtakes from Teenage Dream and encouraging people to buy the album and "let the light in" was so different to what she had talked about so passionately previously that there had to be some label intervention.

That's a real tragedy (if true). That's got to really suck to be denied your creative vision, and be coerced into doing the exact opposite. I personally would be all for a "darker" Katy, and I'm sure others would be too. If it's true that she does do a lot of her own writing, I imagine she would really want to push herself and reveal the true depth of Katy Perry (or at least prove to her critics she HAS depth). I'm sure she also wouldn't mind a top ten either, but like Gaga, she's already accomplished that several times. 

Again, I can't blame her for making the stuff she makes. At her age though, I imagine I would find it rather hollow and artificial after a while, so I am hoping she really is enjoying the ride. But if she wants to take a more mature path, I hope she can get support for her vision by the label (or maybe she should start her own?). She seems to have a very nice bond with her fans, I'm hoping as they grow, they will support her growing as an artist too. 

Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show. I should really just relax."

Chromatislaps

Katy is making more money though

because her tickets prices are higher :ohwell:

aaronyoji

i think the point of this article is not that miley's tour is objectively better, necessarily, because that's debatable with anybody, but more so its unfiltered and genuine to miley as a young adult and to her fans. whereas katy in comparison to her contemporaries is like that sad adult performer who puts on animal balloon acts for childrens parties. 

In the end, Katy has 129 shows at Gaga has 78. Katy's overall attendance will be massive. She's pulling slightly smaller attendances in the same venues Gaga played but that's because Katy's stage is huge.

The tour gross is massive so far for an arena show though. Katy will probably ending up doing $100M from North America alone judging by her average so far.

Reviews have nothing to do with how successful something is, unfortunately. 

But your fancy numbers also don't measure the quality of a show...

Nothing Katy does is particularly memorable, except for her sales. 

I really agree with the part about how she talks to the audience, how immature her shows are and how she always just seems to be cycling to the next 'thing' AND how it doesn't really feel like you're watching an 'artist'

VforVendetta

Read the review. It's hilarious but the fact that it even alludes to the fact that the Bangerz Tour is better than the PWT is just laughable. 

Also, this review isn't going to stop PWT from being the biggest female tour of 2014 :legend:

True, Miley's Tour is not better and I say that as someone that dislikes Katy Perry to death. The ArtRave is much better though. :manicure:

That soon will be forgotten, just like the majority of her other vapid material. 

Katy Perry's going to last longer than Lady GaGa.  :toofunny: Lady GaGa's last memorable hit was like 3 years ago.

I do agree with the article that Katy Perry's stuff isn't very personal, aside from stuff like By The Grace of God, The One Who Got Away and Unconditionally. But she has an undeniable fun factor that makes her very easy and drama-free to listen to.

RAMROD

I am happy one.of then.enjoyed artRAVE better.

That is all I am going to say.

:gum:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Archived