Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Retro build: Disco Stick

Voltaire

Featured Posts

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bloody Mary

Great work! This is making me so excited to see all of the little monsters at the BTW Ball! :heart:

Voltaire

B5tVj.jpg

I bought my metal pipes and the bottom stopper but forgot the connector. :) I'm so excited And I was wondering if these looked about right? The smaller one is a little bit smaller and is aluminum and the bigger one is steel. I have to cut the smaller one down, but I was wondering how much smaller I should make it then the big one... Both are about 3 feet at the moment and I want the big one to stay that way (mines going to be quite large) but i was wondering how much to shave off of the small one... Thanks :)

I'd only take about 6 inches max off of the inner pipe. 2 1/2 feet is probably the shortest you'd want to go because the crystal structure will be about 5 inches tall.

What you're looking for in the connecter is a way for the outer to have a platform in which to engage the inner when they are sheathed. You'll want to permanently affix the connector to the outer tube, and your inner tube will slide through it and nestle tightly. If you can't find a connecter, don't worry. The other option is to take some masking tape and wrap it around the top. You will want every single "wrap" to go directly atop the one before so you end up with a perfectly aligned mini-roll of tape at the top that sticks out about a millimeter or two. Take some superglue and glue the edges so that it turns completely hard. Then do the exact same thing to the inner pipe so that when you put them together the inner doesn't just fall in. Believe it or not, wrapped tape covered with superglue ends up being a pretty solid structure. Once this is complete and you've got your pipe wrapped in leather you'll be ready to work on the crystal topper, finish off the nob on the bottom, and get the aluminum a point so that it looks uber-authentic.

I'm so excited that you're already making progress!

Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker

Voltaire

Here are some more process shots that should help you understand the inside of this puppy:

disco5.jpg

photo3.jpg

discomake3.jpg

discomake4.jpg

discomake5.jpg

There is a lot of reflective duct tape used, I also used various plastic bottle cut up for the structure of the crystal orb. The flashlight itself is upside down inside the stucture and I used many bits of mirror to shine the light back up into the crystals. The reason I went upside down is because the flashlight is turned on and off by pressing a clicker button on the end, and I made the top few crystals into the button.

Thank you for all of the information. :) I have to make a quick run before the grammy's next weekend to buy and build all of this :) lol I can't wait!!

• 1 month later...
nickisawesome

Not bad.

I was thinking about creating my own disco stick, but I can't find an LED flashlight where the on/off button is on the outside of the flashlight. All the ones I was looking at is where you would have to twist the top to turn it on/off :(

Voltaire

Not bad.

I was thinking about creating my own disco stick, but I can't find an LED flashlight where the on/off button is on the outside of the flashlight. All the ones I was looking at is where you would have to twist the top to turn it on/off :(

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=LED+Flashlights&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=575&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=13838754896831418938&sa=X&ei=bLheT6mQO4uztwf4j_WVBw&ved=0CNEBEPMCMAM4Cg

There ya go. Nice and cheap too. You can find loads of them in all different sizes and configurations.

ladyzsazsa

This is the best home made disco-stick I've ever seen! And it looks so easy to make! I mean I'm sure if I started I'd realize I was in over my head and go get a popsicle.

Archived