💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Comparing ARTPOP to 2011/2012 EDM is just a bad excuse

Quark

Featured Posts

djBuffoon

o<(0_0)>o

I personally think that when people here say ARTPOP sounds like 2011-2012 EDM, to prove how outdated it sounds, what they are really doing is providing bad a--lysis as an excuse to explain how the album is not as commercially successful as they would like. But the reality is that the EDM on ARTPOP sounds nothing like the EDM in 2011/2012. The EDM during that time was mostly basic house and dub step, while ARTPOP's EDM sounds more aggressive and more genre varied. I mean what mainstream EDM song in 2011 or even now sounds anything like Aura, GUY, Sexxx Dreams, ect.?

1000% spot-the-fück-on. I constantly get the impression that one person made a half-assed attempt to call it dated, and everyone else followed suit without really thinking about it. I mean, Timberlake's "Not a Bad Thing" could be considered dated because the composition, production, vocals, etc., sounds like it could have easily been at home in his early 00's work. And yet, I don't hear the same criticisms applied to him. Hmm...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LordDisick

o<(0_0)>o

I personally think that when people here say ARTPOP sounds like 2011-2012 EDM, to prove how outdated it sounds, what they are really doing is providing bad a--lysis as an excuse to explain how the album is not as commercially successful as they would like. But the reality is that the EDM on ARTPOP sounds nothing like the EDM in 2011/2012. The EDM during that time was mostly basic house and dub step, while ARTPOP's EDM sounds more aggressive and more genre varied. I mean what mainstream EDM song in 2011 or even now sounds anything like Aura, GUY, Sexxx Dreams, ect.?

the irony that auras beat was made in 2011-2012

monketsharona

And ARTPOP is experimental for gaga. She has ventured through more genres in AP than any album she has done. That's what basically makes the whole album "ART" tbh

Thi, this and this !

Like Lily Allen said : 'Lady Gaga is a martyr of her art'. She's not succeding with ARTPOP because she has done experimental things. Doing experimental things on ONE album doesn't ends up her career. She just took a risk, and she really could because she doesn't have to prove anything to anybody. I don't blame her for that. That just proves she takes risks (contrary to Katy Perry).

Next era will be better commercially if she returns to what she has done on TF / TFM / BTW. 

MonsterRocket

I do think it is outdated, and it may be more sucessful if it came out in middle 2012. Aura, which actually is Still love trance/Kink with vocals, was edited at that time...i guess it's an obvious example.

Cody Draco

ARTPOP's production isn't generic like Rihanna's and Katy Perry's from that time period, so I don't understand the comparison. ARTPOP sounds nothing like what was on mainstream radio during the time period we are talking about. Nothing on ARTPOP sounds like We Found Love, Where Have You Been, E.T, etc. I'm so confused as to what people hear when they listen to ARTPOP because it must not be what I hear. :awkney:

djBuffoon
It was made by Indie EDM hipster producers though, it was not for the top 40 and it was not a commercial work. The song is unique.

I looove JT, I like the song, and there's really nothing wrong with it, per se. I just haven't seen much in the way of evolution for him since FutureSex... (now that was some next-level shít).

VforVendetta

I do think it is outdated, and it may be more sucessful if it came out in middle 2012. Aura, which actually is Still love trance/Kink with vocals, was edited at that time...i guess it's an obvious example.

Ill say it again:

t was made by Indie EDM hipster producers though, it was not for the top 40 and it was not a commercial work.

Nothing in 2012 and nothing today sounds like Aura in the mainstream industry.

Well compared to ha others, ARTPOP is a flop, she knows it too.  :miley:  It's just no promo and no true explanation on the album is really about. that's what happened.

VforVendetta

I looove JT, I like the song, and there's really nothing wrong with it, per se. I just haven't seen much in the way of evolution for him since FutureSex... (now that was some next-level shít).

Wrong quote I think. :emma:

Edit: Yes I wanted to quote the user under you. I was talking about Aura. :emma:

Well compared to ha others, ARTPOP is a flop, she knows it too.  :miley:  It's just no promo and no true explanation on the album is really about. that's what happened.

its just nothing, its like "ARTPOP this ARTPOP that ARTPOP is anything"

Wheres your videos?

Live performances? 

Promo?

???

MonsterRocket

Ill say it again:

t was made by Indie EDM hipster producers though, it was not for the top 40 and it was not a commercial work.

Do you really believe Gaga would make an album if she were sure that it wouldn't even be in the top 40? :awkney: :awkney: 

Essence

Where did you get that number from?
media traffic it's real.

Also it was reported 2.3 million at the end of 2013, but that number seems a bit too much.

VforVendetta

the irony that auras beat was made in 2011-2012

It was made by Indie EDM hipster producers though, it was not for the top 40 and it was not a commercial work.

Archived