Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Reasons for the fallout with Troy

SpadesToStart

Featured Posts

Computer

Where was that interview where she said something like, "they just wanted me to look pretty,"? I think that one explained a lot of it.

Yep she said that at the SXSW keynote/interview and it was kind of heartbreaking. I want to know all of the details with the Troy split so badly. I suppose we will never get those details. Must have been big problems, for gaga to fire him right at the album launch. It was so disruptive.
💚💛💕❣⭕💢💢 | ⓜⓔⓡⓡⓨ ©ⓗⓡⓘⓢⓣⓜⓐⓢ

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yves

Gaga wanted the album to be a LP. I think the Haus people were telling her that she should just release an EP.

Either they didn't like the album or it'll underperform for sure :noparty:

I don't know about the rushed Applause release. She should've released Applause like 2 weeks before Roar was released. So that Applause will have a time in the spotlight. Roar definitely took the spotlight last year. So much for a comeback :giveup:

TEANUS

I really don't think Gaga was rushed to meet a VMAS deadline. A comeback at the 2013 VMAs was being hinted at since around the time of the 2012 VMAs. Plus Gaga was eager to perform again and ready to release ARTPOP so I think she wanted it too. I think the BIG fallout happened in late October when the Venus/ DWUW switch happened. I know Gaga said that was her decision but I really don't think so. She was SO confident and proud and excited for Venus. I think Troy pushed it on her, that p***ed Gaga off and then Gaga had a plan for the Do What u Want video. Troy didn't like it, hence the problems, and she had had a enough and fired him.

British social ladies with upturned pinkies, glasses clinking // xoxoTEANUS

MurderLipstick

That is the biggest load of **** I have ever heard. Applause was to come out August 19, Roar was released August 10 - Applause was subsequently released on August 12; the competition with Roar would've been there regardless. Miley's performance was already planned out and no matter what Gaga would've done - the look-a-likes or even if she pulled a SXSW-type performance at the VMAs Miley would've overshadowed her anyway. Get real. "It wasn't the smash it should have been" is a crock, too - it was #4 on the chart and was in the Top 10 for what, almost three months? It was a smash, but some people are pressed because it wasn't #1 so therefore it's a failure to many people. My god, this forum sometimes.

Well said. I honestly don't understand why so many fans are baffled as to why her songs don't always reach #1. She only has 3 songs that went to the top and look at how successful she is, especially compared to her contemporaries. She is living proof that it doesn't matter about chart positions.

Substance Over Style.

freebit

I think they'd had problems for a while, possibly years. He probably wanted a certain sound and image for her, but maybe got too pushy, thus her "don't harass the artist" spiel last fall. She said something like "I can't create if someone keeps tapping me on the shoulder." I also remember her posting a caption on Instagram back when she was supposed to be finishing up the album, it said something like "who cares if the album is no good." Then she went on to say she loved ARTPOP etc., but that first sentence always stood out to me. It didn't give me a hopeful feeling, and she looked exhausted.

Where was that interview where she said something like, "they just wanted me to look pretty,"? I think that one explained a lot of it.

I think this is plausible, especially if take into account those strange looks she wore when she was supposed to be promoting DWUW. I think she was definitely making a statement.

mAnster

I think a lot of it came down to money. Troy Carter didn't want to reduce his earnings, so when he saw the success of other artists during the 2013 VMAs he pressured Gaga into being more commercial than she wanted to be.

The saddest part is looking back on the 3 AMAZiNG 'Venus' single covers. Along with the Salvador Dali mustache and her street fashion at the time, the planned music video for 'Venus' was shaping up to be her best surrealist video to date.

Ugh.. I just hope she is in a better place now. She always trusts her instincts so I believe parting with Troy was the best decision moving forward.

RAMROD

It just Troy wants her to be s-x symbol like another idol.

But Gaga doesn't wannabe another idol.

She wants to be an icon even if it will hurt her in the process.

That is what I can conclude, seeing how she talk about it.

And how she is always a perfectionist and over achiever.

Which I could relate cos I am like her with my own work.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Koreku

I really hope Troy leaving didn't have to do with G.U.Y's lack of promo.. :cryga:

If that's the case, we have a messy future ahead of us unless Gaga can acquire some new creative heads that can push for success WITHOUT creating too much strain/ contradiction.

I have faith!!

You don't deserve a point of view if the only thing you see is you.

RAMROD

I really hope Troy leaving didn't have to do with G.U.Y's lack of promo.. :cryga:

If that's the case, we have a messy future ahead of us unless Gaga can acquire some new creative heads that can push for success WITHOUT creating too much strain/ contradiction.

I have faith!!

How Bobby doing so far? :fan:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

blacklistedd

I think he wanted this era to be a certain way and she rebelled against it resulting in them parting ways.

Based on what happened from August to January, things that Gaga has said, and rumors that have gone around, what do you think the biggest reason for the management shake-up was?

My personal pet-theory is that the initial f*ck-up with Applause was one of the big contributors.  Troy rushed her and pushed her to meet the deadline of the VMAs.  This not only strained Gaga's creative process and physical recovery, but also ended up putting her in direct competition with Roar and having her be overshadowed by Miley-gate.   While Applause had subtle, long-lasting success, it wasn't the smash it should have been and it started the era on a sour note.

Other thoughts and theories?

EDIT:  rather than a thread full of people critiquing my theory, I'd much rather hear all of your thoughts on the split :)

Troy didn't feel ARTPOP was strong enough of an album. She was dying to come back, make no mistake. They fought over the songs.

And, IMO, he was right.

Neptune

Honestly, I think they just wanted different things. 

Gaga wanted to be in full control and create art that would be memorable and showcased in a way that was true to her artistic vision. Troy wanted Gaga to sell herself to the masses and gain back public support that she lost during Born This Way by pandering to the masses and being a more traditional pop star. 

Gaga got fed up of him trying to control her career and make her into something she didn't want to be, so she finally stood up and fired him.

I mean, around that time Gaga was very anti-corporate and pro-artistic freedom (see: SXSW for example). It's only my theory, but it fits imo and is probably the most logical explanation. 

Basically this. Not to mention the last-minute single changes, that messed her head up. She was promoting DWUW with Venus inspired clothes and actions. You could clearly see they/Troy changed the single when she was already starting the creative process for the Venus single Era. And I honestly wouldn't be surprised he did the same with Applause.

tokyodisko

I think there has been tension from both ends for a while now. Troy is her manager, so he takes care of the business and tries to help her make decisions, but Gaga was likely very depressed during BTWB, so I think she was kind of rebelling in a way. No one can say she has been very professional with her deadlines and how the album was handled or came to fruition. Both sides had issues, so the split was probably, unfortunately needed. Gaga isn't always the victim of an money-hungry, controlling manager.  :reductive: The tortured artist bit was mostly a show put on by Gaga to cope with her depression- at least that is my theory. 

LittleBoot

Creative differences over time, I would guess. It would have been better timing to part ways between albums, but we never know what goes on behind closed doors.

It's Katy's fault for the Roar-Applause competition, her album wasn't ready, then when Gaga announced her dates Katy's team rushed to do everything before Gaga. Gaga should've done secret release like Beyonce, before everybody, so Katy wouldn't have time to f*ck her over.

What another pop artist does shouldn't matter, though. Miley Cyrus and Britney Spears also released music that fall as well, and none of those singles and albums would have held a candle to the promotional machine that Gaga's camp had running a few years ago.

Archived