💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

If ARTPOP came out in 2011 instead of Born This Way...

Michael

Featured Posts

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Michael

greater succuss, but mixed reviews

and btw would flop, but critically praised 

Born This Way did not flop. It was a highly successful album

i9Cv1ylrCaRQV.gif

Tropico

I think it would've been a smah hit. Anything back then with Gaga's name of it would be a smah hit. That's why the album and most of it's singles did so well. I wouldn't change her discography though. NEVER.

♢ Social Justice Enthusiast ♢

Harry

It would've done better VS now, for sure... But what makes a big difference is the promo. If it was promoted to the HUGE extent that BTW was & didn't have the hip injury and departure with Troy dragging it down then it would've been a huge era. Anything off the back of TFM was gonna be successful though, just cos of the hype.

But I think ARTPOP is easily more commercial than BTW so yes less people would be alienated. There would probably still be a decline just because no one can sustain success on the level of TF/M, just not as much.

BTW remains her best album though, for me anyway :)

Bellatrix

But wasn't Applause/Do What U Want/G.U.Y. more GP friendly than the material on Born This Way?

I just think that ARTPOP is ARTPOP. It would've sounded the same in 2011 and the "GP" wasn't a big fan of it know, so I don't think people would've liked it more in 2011, since the music is the same.

HANZ

it would have slayed tbh

ARTPOP when it comes to music is the type of album I was expecting gaga to release after The Fame Monster

My Favs = Lady Gaga, Janet Jackson, Ricky Martin, AKB48

PoshLife

I have no idea but I'm gonna perch to see what some unqualified people think :emma:

well I was running in here to say what I think but now maybe I'll just sit this one out :emma:

(my first thought, though, is that nobody would have batted an eye at Gaga calling her song "Applause" after the enormously successful TFM era)

tokyodisko

I think that ARTPOP would have done better commercially, but not critically. It also depends on the singles and order for AP. 

Bambino

I don't think the timing is the problem. It's promo strategies and the wrong management. But a single like Applause after TFM era would've been amazing 'cause she was at her peak back then and everyone was applauding for her. :flutter:

Michael

I just think that ARTPOP is ARTPOP. It would've sounded the same in 2011 and the "GP" wasn't a big fan of it know, so I don't think people would've liked it more in 2011, since the music is the same.

But I think the reason why the GP wasn't here for ARTPOP was because they were put off by BTW era. Had BTW era not existed ARTPOP probably would have smashed because she still would have been the golden girl in their eyes.

tokyodisko

well I was running in here to say what I think but now maybe I'll just sit this one out :emma:

(my first thought, though, is that nobody would have batted an eye at Gaga calling her song "Applause" after the enormously successful TFM era)

Yes! It would have made more sense to them then instead of coming out of a tour and blackout and people were like "oh. she's still around?"

Sexxx

Sexxx Dreams as a lead single for a massive era following on from TFM

i would've died

Slayer

I think its fate would have been the same. Applause would have done well, because at that point in her career, the lead single was going to smash no matter what. 

Having said that, the "ARTPOP" concept is just too much for the GP. They didn't like it in 2013 and they wouldn't have liked it in 2011 either. On the other hand, BTW was much more GP-friendly. Even though it was a very experimental record, its core message of love and acceptance was A) very popular at the time and B) a much more relatable subject than some highbrow artistic statement about combining fine art and pop culture. 

I love judas SO MUCH but I canʹt look like a copycat of JLO!!!!

Electric Venus

G.U.Y. and DWUW after TFM :giveup: the slayage would have been MASSIVE :cry:

Archived