Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Should Gaga begin to follow radio trends?

Emvee

Featured Posts

MJHolland

Who cares tbh...

If we wanted a sell-out who "makes" music (because these types don't actually make their own!), we'd be Katy fans. No offense to her, but she's become a processed money-making figurehead to the "katy perry brand" that her label made for her. 

Gaga has substance and thats much more important than radio playtime  :toofunny:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeess she should completely sell out and compromise her own creativity just to have some generic hits and you all can brag about how she slays in ATRL and pop forums :roll:

Btw I'm sure that's what she tried with ARTPOP, radio friendly tracks because Interscope or Troy must have asked her for easier hits to make more money and it didn't turn out good for Gaga's own good and health :)

LilVenusian

Ummm she kind of did though. Working with DJ's, Incorporating EDM and trap beats, which are some of the  trendiest go to sounds atm. I really do think its more to do with her image because her music is clearly still mega poppy and "current".  When she first came out she was pretty relateable. Her lyrics weren't perceived as pretentious or weird and the average person could "get it". Her image was also more put together and interesting, which made her this trendy fashion and media darling. Now shes kind of lost that trendy spark and interest and i think the radio is just following suit. If she really wants to become a radio force and get big hits again she would have to do a serious image overhaul and come up with a big anthemic relateable song like Bad Romance. 

freebit

Meh...I think she should just follow her instincts and try to make a quality album. ARTPOP felt like her trying hard to please everyone (especially radio, with every track lasting under 4 minutes). People claimed they wanted light, fun Gaga back after BTW, and she tried to give it to us, complete with a producer-of-the-moment and hot pink font. And...well, we saw how that worked out. Why desperately try to chase hits? I'd rather her have an approach like Kanye did with MBDTF: make an amazing album, and if radio plays it, cool. If not, oh well.

ryhanna

She does to an extent already. :shrug:

ARTPOP kind of misjudged what'd be more popular, but she still made a couple of Rnb/urban songs (DWUW, Jewels N' Drugs), trap (MANiCURE), and made songs with EDM producers like Zedd and Madeon. 

I'd say, don't necessarily follow trends, but be aware of trends and what kind of music is popular or could be popular and do it in her own way. 

wahkeenasitka

she should listen to her heart and follow her creative muse... let it guide her where she wants to go... look at where it's gotten her to in the first place.. 

by conforming to social norms, she would just be turning into superficial boring bland blah. 

we don't want that, now do we? 

HORRORHOLIC

Why would anyone who is actually a fan of music want a musician they like to make music regardless if they like it or not just to fit in and get played on the radio. Isn't there enough of that already and doesn't that defeat the purpose of being an artist ? When fans listen to music at home do they enjoy it more knowing everyone else likes it or do they enjoy it because it's good music ?

LilVenusian

Meh...I think she should just follow her instincts and try to make a quality album. ARTPOP felt like her trying hard to please everyone (especially radio, with every track lasting under 4 minutes). People claimed they wanted light, fun Gaga back after BTW, and she tried to give it to us, complete with a producer-of-the-moment and hot pink font. And...well, we saw how that worked out. Why desperately try to chase hits? I'd rather her have an approach like Kanye did with MBDTF: make an amazing album, and if radio plays it, cool. If not, oh well.

^^^This truth  :applause: 

I feel like ARTPOP was caught in a really weird place and her intentions were all over the place, like she wanted to make current/trendy music+ wanted to impress her fan base with "fun" lyrics+ still wanted to be "artsty" and "edgy" by calling it ARTPOP and pulling in all these art references.  This is was why TFM was such perfection. She didn't have the pressure of trying to write her breakthrough hit and she wasn't yet tainted by fans opinions and expectations. It was so pure in its intentions and she clearly just writing for herself and following her own instincts. I hope she goes in that direction on her next album because i feel like their was so much noise going on in her head when she wrote ARTPOP and it really came through with how the album and the whole era panned out...

djBuffoon

I don't really care if she follows trends or not, I just want her to keep making great music. Musically, she has only topped herself so far. (yes, I know some here will disagree with that. And I don't care.)

EDIT: Some of the arguments here seem a little lopsided. "No, she should't follow trends. But she should release a relatable, anthemic track like Bad Romance." Umm....

baptism

Lady Gaga is radio trends. Just like she started in 2008, she will begin once again. Everything is cyclical, and she must remain true to who she is. Conforming is throwing in the towel.

Ronk

NO. We already have enough "artists" who conform. That's not who Gaga is. 

This.

I live outside the space time continuum.

tokyodisko

I think she should balance it out. ARTPOP was very very safe pop and imo her least creative, inspired lyrics for most of the songs- lyrically at least. Quirky, glamorous lyrics over pop music with an edge is where she shines most imo.

And the music was all over the place. She's much better with a planned and cohesive image. I think she's heading back toward that though. 

RAMROD

Radio trend? She is not damn Disney stars. :lmao:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

wahkeenasitka

This thread is open to interpretation. I didn't give an opinion in the OP. This discussion is out because there seems to be very different schools of thought in the fan base. Those who think she should be more commercial and those who think she should sing to her own tune.

Obviously, everyone wants Gaga to be herself, but are y'all ready for the consequences of that? Her commercial career can't handle another "ARTPOP" or "BTW."

Is this the type of artist you're ready to support? Fine. If not, shut the **** up and leave. Plain and simple.

It's time for y'all to take a good look at the career of the Beatles. Their first few albums were cheesy pop love songs that catapulted them into international fame with thousands of screaming fans... Arguably, their best albums were their later albums - when they actually matured into fully creative artists with amazing songwriting. The magical mystery tour & Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts are two of my favorite beatles albums. They became weirder and weirder, because they'd already attained their fame, and had nothing to lose and could do whatever they want. 

Obviously, their career only lasted about 10 years, but their legacy lives on til this day.. And Paul McCartney & Yoko Ono have ridden on the coattails of that fame for the remainder of their lives... They don't really have to do anything; they're set for life. 

Gaga is set for life. She can do whatever she wants, and she will be famous until the day she dies... Which means, she can make whatever kind of music she wants.. and it could get weirder and weirder.. I'm fine with that. I think as an artist, she's getting more authentic and creative. 

I don't know about you, but if the Beatles had played it safe and continued singing "Love, Love Me Do" for the remainder of their career, they would have gotten extremely boring... It's songs like "When I'm 64" and "I am the Walrus" that stand out to me for their creativity... 

And for the same reason, I hope that Gaga drops a lot more acid and gets even more experimental.... 

she could write a magnum opus right now and may possibly never get the recognition/appreciation for it, maybe not even until she dies, and im fine with that, because i know that what i look for in music is being represented, a lot of the artists i love only get one or two big moments in pop culture, its a gamble that im fine with just as long as the work is great. its the gamble we all take when liking an artist like gaga. 

remember, she didnt start out making pop music, shes an artist first and foremost, and she can make practically any genre she wants.  

basically this. 

Archived