Featured Posts

trutheverafter

Venus>>>>>>>>>Applause>Sex Dreams (Itunes Festival)>>>>Sexxx Dreams

„Talk is cheap but costs a lot“

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anomaly

No it wouldn't have. Venus would've been a terrible single in general. The chorus is one of her best and I do like the song but overall its not single material. Its very disjointed and is the most Born This Way song on the record meaning its the most heavy handed. Had it been the first single I would've thought she hadn't progressed much at all.

Sex Dreams is slick and infectious. And I swear to God if I see anyone say its too explicit for radio imma slap someone, like in a world where S&M and Candy Shop have been chart toppers you're really going to use the explicit argument? No.

I made a thread about this, and I wish I could find it now because the discussion on the thread was pretty good. In my opinion, Venus would have made a great lead single. It was risky, experimental, had a killer chorus, received a fair share of praise, and was catchy as f*ck. Applause was a fairly safe choice for a single, and for the comeback Gaga was planning, she needed something more boisterous and experimental than that. There would have been some awesome promotional opportunities, which I discussed in my thread, and the song could have made a fairly strong impact. The video could have been great, the Venus apparel would have made more sense to the GP and would have fit right in with the theme of the album and the reveal of the album cover, and things could have gone very well. The song isn't really that disjointed, though at first I myself did say that it was. "Bad Romance" wasn't considered single material back when she released it, but look at that song now. She needed a risky song, she was in love with Venus, the song had tons of potential, and it could have been great as a lead single. Applause was awesome, but Venus would have drawn oodles of attention and could have had a more explosive introduction to the ARTPOP era.

Sex Dreams doesn't exist anymore, but Sexxx Dreams would not have been a good choice as a lead single. I didn't say that it was too explicit for radio, so chill a bit. I can see it being a single, but not the lead single. Gaga was trying to make a comeback with a new electronic sound, and Sexxx Dreams would have been way too mellow for that explosive comeback she was trying to achieve.

ItsTommyBitch

Sexxx Dreams, while my 2nd favorite song off of ARTPOP would've been a weird lead single. It would've smashed just as well as Applause imo but maybe less radio play cause of the lyrics.

Venus MIGHT have smashed too. I think it would've got more critical acclaim for being an "out there" kind of song and its music video would've skyrocketed to legend status :legend:  Its chorus is just as infectious as Applause and the GP would eat up the whole every few seconds "VENUS! o/" thing, its interesting musically. I know my friends that hear it think its just a great song musically. Everytime i play it they go crazy and we all o/ for Venus. They arent gaga fans. But they like Venus  :gaga:

Really, i think Venus would've been a great lead single. The visuals, the music the reception would have been great.. Gaga could've lead with "my new single is coming out. Its out of this world, galaxy space and time" and the hype meter would've risen exponentially. It might not have been immediately #1 super ultra mega hit, but its a song that REALLY grows on you, and thats easier to occur when a song just comes out; you give it a few listens and you start to hear it everywhere and eventually you've succumbed to the Goddess of Love's influence :giveup:

I think the amount of Promo that Applause received, coupled with Venus, Sexxx Dreams DWUW or Gypsy would've slayed because all of those songs are better musically, visually, and conceptually than Applause was. 

Just for the record, applause is catchy. People still reference it all the time. But imagine if they were referencing Venus instead! o/ in the music video would've been so darn iconic.

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

GagaXCupcakke

Every other day I change my mind, but today I'll go with Venus

Tropico

If we're looking at it commercially then:

Applause > Sexxx Dreams > Venus

But what ike to listen to:

Sexxx Dreams > Applause > Venus

All those songs slay my life though :sara:

♢ Social Justice Enthusiast ♢

Cody Draco

They are all perfect pop songs and in my top 5 from ARTPOP. I chose Venus because I feel like it is underappreciated. When I lay in bed and listen to it through my headphones it lifts my soul from my body and take me to the planet, VENUS! :)

Archived