Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Nintendo apologize about Tomodachi Life

Joaco95

Featured Posts

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Redstreak

It's simply not normal that we encourage kids to see or choose straight relationships, but hide the gay ones. Most of them probably won't pick them anyways, but at least they'll be more aware that it's a thing. I'm sure it could help children to be more aware of those things at a younger age and maybe that could help them with their opinion of gay people overtime. Who knows?

dayum :lolgaga:

It's a parents job to teach their kids about different people and how to be accepting, not a games. Would it be nice to see it sure, but ultimately nothing changes either way and life moves on. If the game has to teach them acceptance and the parents aren't, then more than likely the parents wouldn't let them have the game anyway.

Take a moment to think of just flexibility, love, and trust~

Staryu

It's a parents job to teach their kids about different people and how to be accepting, not a games. Would it be nice to see it sure, but ultimately nothing changes either way and life moves on. If the game has to teach them acceptance and the parents aren't, then more than likely the parents wouldn't let them have the game anyway.

I totally agree with you on the parenting part, but entertainment/culture has an impact as well.

I do think that way. Kids do not have a firm grasp on emotional and lasting commitments like that and it really has no place, gay or straight.

Then fine, couples either way shouldn't have been included then, but they still did :shrug:

So it looks like people have no idea why this has become controversial. When this game was released in Japan, there was a glitch that allowed for male characters to marry each other. After protest from people online to not patch up the glitch, Nintendo did it anyway. This was in December. Flash forward to the US release and people urged Nintendo to not change the game for the US and they did. I for one am to see this apology from Nintendo.

Thanks for the info, certainly puts a new spin on "maybe they just forgot to include it" . Hmmm

MikeyMoonShine

I don't see how you view this as a good thing?

The media does teach kids and people of all ages about the world whether that is it's job or not. Gay people exist in the real world and not acknowledging us keeps us out of that process. 

As I said, it's great if they do include gay people, but I'm not expecting an exact representation of daily life, even if it is a life simulation. It's just personally not an issue to me but I understand your concerns.

I refer you to the post below. IF it's true, it certainly removes the glib excuse of oh it'd be nice if they put it, but if they don't, it's okay too.

So it looks like people have no idea why this has become controversial. When this game was released in Japan, there was a glitch that allowed for male characters to marry each other. After protest from people online to not patch up the glitch, Nintendo did it anyway. This was in December. Flash forward to the US release and people urged Nintendo to not change the game for the US and they did. I for one am to see this apology from Nintendo.

ryhanna

I refer you to the post below. IF it's true, it certainly removes the glib excuse of oh it'd be nice if they put it, but if they don't, it's okay too.

Yes, that changes things. Obviously I wasn't aware of that prior to making my original post though. :)

Redstreak

I don't see how you view this as a good thing?

The media does teach kids and people of all ages about the world whether that is it's job or not. Gay people exist in the real world and not acknowledging us keeps us out of that process.

I don't view it as anything. I don't find it good or bad or anything. :shrug:

Morbid

http://tinycartridge.com/post/50340218220/no-more-same-s-x-relationships-in-tomodachi

This explains what happened in December. Leading up to the North American release people started campaigning to allow same s-x marriage in the game.

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/ChristianNutt/20140508/217351/Understanding_Nintendos_Tomodachi_Life_problem.php

This is a tad long, but a really good read on the whole situation and how Nintendo put itself in a very complicated situation.

Redstreak

Then fine, couples either way shouldn't have been included then, but they still did :shrug:

Thanks for the info, certainly puts a new spin on "maybe they just forgot to include it" . Hmmm

http://nintendoeverything.com/why-nintendo-patched-tomodachi-lifes-same-s-x-relationships/

Redstreak

http://tinycartridge.com/post/50340218220/no-more-same-s-x-relationships-in-tomodachi

This explains what happened in December. Leading up to the North American release people started campaigning to allow same s-x marriage in the game.

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/ChristianNutt/20140508/217351/Understanding_Nintendos_Tomodachi_Life_problem.php

This is a tad long, but a really good read on the whole situation and how Nintendo put itself in a very complicated situation.

http://nintendoeverything.com/why-nintendo-patched-tomodachi-lifes-same-s-x-relationships/

Knife

Thanks. That at least clears up one thing, but their exclusion right from the start still remains

It's pretty obvious that if a developer thinks that excluding same-s-x coupling will eliminate the possibility of controversy, they'll probably sell more units. It's unfortunate, but it's a safer bet for them and they're going to want to maximize their sales.

Ladey Gagz

Should that matter? So a life simulation game, that somehow doesn't simulate something that's part of everyday life- gay people. Yeah makes sense :yes:

I could name you a thousand things that aren't in the life simulation game that's part of everyday life. Thousands of them. I don't think it's their fault for not thinking 100% of every detail of the human life of different humans :awkney:

I could name you a thousand things that aren't in the life simulation game that's part of everyday life. Thousands of them. I don't think it's their fault for not thinking 100% of every detail of the human life of different humans :awkney:

Probably already addressed part of this  in one of my replies and if not, okay. Bottom line if they can include straight relationships with the ability to have kids, they can include gay ones, it's 2014.

Archived