💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

What does it mean?!? (long-ish read)

djBuffoon

Featured Posts

djBuffoon

DISCLAIMER: I know it's a long read. I wrote it. And I am very, very sorry.

For reasons that were unbeknownst to me, I have been relentlessly drawn to ARTPOP, despite the negativity from every possible avenue. And I’ve been wracking my brain about why? Out of all of her albums, why does this particular piece keep coming back to me? Why is it my favorite? And above all, what in the world is she trying to say?

And during my afternoon run just now, I was listening to the album all the way through and thought back to an interview in Japan last year (video below) where she was asked about the inspiration behind the creation of the album. She referred to the cyclical nature of pop culture, and the intention of cracking open her brain to show her fans what’s going on inside, and how (paraphrasing) instead of being the subject of the canvas, the intention of this album was for Marilyn herself to become the muse, and the canvas, and the painting itself.

So I started thinking, how exactly does one incorporate Art and Pop? It’s certainly not about casually referencing classics paintings just for the hell of it. And it’s not necessarily about breaking the mold and creating something that no one on Earth has ever heard or considered before. One interpretation could be a definition of Gaga's method since the very beginning, of giving equal weight to the music and the visuals (my ARTPOP could meaning anything). But in my opinion, it’s about creating from what you know. It’s about bringing yourself to the table and showing what you are made of, without compromise. This album was written from the very specific and unusual perspective of a woman who is living in a specific and unusual space. A space between clarifying her own artistry and the peak of global popularity, and all of the criticism and surrealism and risk and beauty that comes with it. And while a handful of the songs are instantly easy to relate to, there are others that are quite a bit more mysterious.

But upon further investigation, perhaps it is not as inaccessible as first thought. Whether it be turning others’ preconceived notions against them (Donatella); or remaining true to your artistic impulses despite common sense telling you otherwise (ARTPOP); or wanting to, figuratively, slip on someone else’s skin for one night, with the sole intent of escaping your own (Mary Jane Holland); or reconciling between a career and a loving relationship (Gypsy); or sculpting your identity through the way you carry yourself and decorate your body (Fashion!) or craving external affirmation as a means of ecstasy (Applause); or stopping the drama and starting the music (Do What U Want). The circumstances she draws from are different than those that we align them to when listening, but the ideas are universal and they click because we've been there too.

While she might sound scatterbrained when discussing this album, I think the idea is that, instead of openheartedly empowering us like in Born This Way, Gaga inversely trusts and challenges us here to find ourselves in her story. To set herself free by being an open book. By holding up an X-ray to herself and showing us who understand her intrinsically that, despite our differences, it is our vulnerabilities and our idiosyncrasies and our love for creation that bind us and render us invincible. We could belong together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwSBBAeEHmg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Essence

:applause:

She's said since the beginning. This album is about her and explores the depths of her mind.

TroubleClef

very interesting thoughts. 

I think I agree with you, you brought up interesting things to think about.

SEVDALIZA

Wow, what an amazingly interesting read, it expanded some horizons to me :applause:

operating from another world

TimisaMonster

I agree with you AND Gaga...however, not to sound rude, but the great majority of people TODAY don't care about a "deep" concept or message behind the songs they listen to...if it's catchy and simple in it's lyrics...that's all that matters...Gaga's work is TOO good to be appreciated by such a simple minded society who only wants to see her work as a beat and a catch phrase. 

It's oh so sad, but it's the :tea: that burns the most...

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

djBuffoon

I agree with you AND Gaga...however, not to sound rude, but the great majority of people TODAY don't care about a "deep" concept or message behind the songs they listen to...if it's catchy and simple in it's lyrics...that's all that matters...Gaga's work is TOO good to be appreciated by such a simple minded society who only wants to see her work as a beat and a catch phrase. 

It's oh so sad, but it's the :tea: that burns the most...

That's not rude at all. It's an honest reflection on the generation we live in.

CookieHWilson

DISCLAIMER: I know it's a long read. I wrote it. And I am very, very sorry.

For reasons that were unbeknownst to me, I have been relentlessly drawn to ARTPOP, despite the negativity from every possible avenue. And I’ve been wracking my brain about why? Out of all of her albums, why does this particular piece keep coming back to me? Why is it my favorite? And above all, what in the world is she trying to say?

And during my afternoon run just now, I was listening to the album all the way through and thought back to an interview in Japan last year (video below) where she was asked about the inspiration behind the creation of the album. She referred to the cyclical nature of pop culture, and the intention of cracking open her brain to show her fans what’s going on inside, and how (paraphrasing) instead of being the subject of the canvas, the intention of this album was for Marilyn herself to become the muse, and the canvas, and the painting itself.

That’s when I realized. How exactly does one incorporate Art and Pop? It’s certainly not about casually referencing classics paintings just for the hell of it. And it’s not necessarily about breaking the mold and creating something that no one on Earth has ever heard or even considered making. In my opinion, it’s about creating from what you know. It’s about bringing yourself to the table and showing what you are made of, without compromise. This album was written from the very specific and unusual perspective of a woman who is living in a specific and unusual space. A space between reaching towards the peak of her own artistry and the peak of global popularity, and all of the criticism and surrealism and risk and beauty that comes with it. And while a handful of the songs are instantly easy to relate to, there are others that are quite a bit more enigmatic.

But upon further investigation, perhaps it is not as inaccessible as first thought. Whether it be turning others’ preconceived notions about you against them (Donatella); or remaining true to your artistic impulses despite common sense telling you otherwise (ARTPOP); or wanting to, figuratively, slip on someone else’s skin for one night, with the sole intent of escaping your own (Mary Jane Holland); or sculpting your identity through the way you carry yourself and decorate your body (Fashion!) or craving external affirmation as a means of ecstasy (Applause).

While she might sound scatterbrained when discussing this album, I think the idea is that, instead of openheartedly empowering us like in Born This Way, Gaga inversely trusts and challenges us here to find ourselves in her story. To set herself free by being an open book, by holding up an X-ray to herself and showing us who understand her intimately that, despite our differences, it is our vulnerabilities and our idiosyncrasies and our love for creation that bind us and render us invincible. We could belong together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwSBBAeEHmg

Tea.

Respect for your nice and true reading

Insta: pierfedericomiozzo

well yea, this is her intention with the album, it's all hyper personal because it's literally an album of her expressing what's going on in her life instead of Born This Way that was socially driven and TF which had the satiric celebrity theme.

Everyone can make 'ARTPOP' because the 'art' is really ones own experiences and feelings being put onto pop music as the canvas.

While that's really cool to me conceptually, I just think it could have been executed better.

doseofamnesia. tumblr. com

djBuffoon

While that's really cool to me conceptually, I just think it could have been executed better.

Completely subjective, which goes without saying. But this post was my response to criticisms that the album is confused and unrelatable. There is constant talk here and elsewhere over why the title is specifically ARTPOP, and what it means in context of the work itself. Here is my take on it.  :hor:

djBuffoon

WOW!  :applause:  :applause:  :applause:  :applause:

My love for ARTPOP just grew. Amazing read! 

Very glad to hear that!

I appreciate the feedback, everyone.

Completely subjective, which goes without saying. But this post was my response to criticisms that the album is confused and unrelatable. There is constant talk here and elsewhere over why the title is specifically ARTPOP, and what it means in context of the work itself. Here is my take on it. :hor:

i know, I agreed with you throughout my entire post, lol. minus my last sentence which, yes, is just my opinion.

but yes, I believe thats literally the concept behind the album.

doseofamnesia. tumblr. com

djBuffoon

i know, I agreed with you throughout my entire post, lol. minus my last sentence which, yes, is just my opinion.

but yes, I believe thats literally the concept behind the album.

:hug:

Tropico

OMG WOW SLAY! :applause:

I feel (not to be cocky) that I've always known this and understood what ARTPOP truly is but I've never been able to truly explain it the way you have. This just makes me love ARTPOP even more! It's definately my favorite Gaga album. It's definately something which opens up to us. Gaga just opened everything up and turned it into ART in POP form.

I especially love your Marilyn canvas reference! Deep and beautiful!

Well done :applause::tea:

Gonna go listen to ARTPOP again :music:

♢ Social Justice Enthusiast ♢

Archived