💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

So what are the worldwide sales?

jhonyguy04

Featured Posts

Tommymonster44

The closest official number we have is 6 million people have bought Born This Way. A problem arises with Gaga, however. Let me use the recent sales giant, Taylor Swift, to explain what I believe to be the situation with these numbers.

Taylor's official numbers for her recent album are extremely accurate because almost all sales came from the music "big dogs" like American and the UK. The system that is used to notify official sales groups are very developed in these countries. You can bet that when a person buys the album from a store such as Walmart, they are going to notify nielsen soundscan, which is the most reliable way we know how to track album sales.

The problem arises when artists like Gaga sell tons of albums in less modern/monopolized country. Do you think that the 200 Born This Way albums that were sold at some random Chinese store are going to be counted in nielsen soundscan's numbers? Probably not. Since we have absolutely no way to reliably track all of these types of sales, we can only assume from the nature of Gaga's fan base that she's shifting a substantial amount of albums from stores like these. Unfortunately, the official number that I remember is 6 million. In reality though, she's probably sold a lot more records than 6 million, there's just no way to confirm the sales.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Source? I really hope TFM sold that well WW.

UMG annual sales reports. They're archived on vivendi.fr if you want to look them up.

The Fame Monster sold 3 million in 2009 and 4.8 million in 2010. That includes the deluxe version of the album, which most people count towards The Fame's sales (which is why so many different numbers float around).

+ people need to stop with the 6 million thing for BTW because it sold 6.8 million in 2011 alone

http://www.vivendi.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/20120330_Annual_Report_2011-2.pdf

Tommymonster44

+ people need to stop with the 6 million thing for BTW because it sold 6.8 million in 2011 alone

http://www.vivendi.c...port_2011-2.pdf

It sold 6 million conservative. Other sources that aren't as conservative will report higher numbers. I'm fairly certain that the more reliable sources are reporting 6 million, but I could be wrong.

It sold 6 million conservative. Other sources that aren't as conservative will report higher numbers. I'm fairly certain that the more reliable sources are reporting 6 million, but I could be wrong.

That's a sales report from Universal, as reliable as you can get.

Tommymonster44

I think Gaga is the most reliable source for now, so it 8 Million it is :legend:

That's 8 million shipped. That means the label sent out 8 million records to be sold. Not all of them sell, though. Many of them are still on the shelves or in a storage or distribution unit.

Archived