💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Nicki Minaj talks (or not) about Gaga influence in The New York Times

Spock

Featured Posts

Spock

One of Minaj’s most fascinating stylistic tricks as a performer has been incorporating alter egos, not only the Barbie doll (which she calls Harajuku Barbie) but Roman, an outspoken gay boy who lives inside of her. These alter egos, which have extensively detailed identities, seem exemplary of the way that women are forced to assume different personae to get through the day. But when I asked why she hadn’t called on them much on her last album, she gave me a vague answer about how they were only ‘‘funny’’ and were still around somewhere. Early in her career, she also adopted Lady Gaga’s method of saturating the media with outrageous costumes, but now, when I asked if Gaga influenced her, she shot back, with a look of such intense disapproval my hair curled: ‘‘I don’t even want to discuss that. That’s so old to me.’’

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/11/magazine/the-passion-of-nicki-minaj.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=1 

ooop. seems like a touchy subject :reductive2:

who will love me when the night is over

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
venusian

thats not shade? i would get pissed if someone was comparing me to another artist constantly. 

WELCOME TO THE TRAGIC KINGDOM

SlaeUrAnus

She does not even wear outrageous costumes though (not THAT 'outrageous') :ghostney:  And girl, every main female artist that has worn such costumes have been influenced by Gaga since she brought it back to the scene :bye: 

In my messy era.

Spock

thats not shade? i would get pissed if someone was comparing me to another artist constantly. 

Where did I say she was shading her? As for the comparisons themselves, everybody had different opinions about the situation so I won't bother

who will love me when the night is over

So in other words, she did influence her but she's just gonna act as if her style was definitely unique :reductive2: 

Signature loading… 👹🖤

Iwontell

:love: Calm down Nicki, we love you.

ATTENTION: (bad) jokes and sarcasm are still a thing, so don't take everything I say literally. Thank you.

Alien Tulip

We all know she started as a Lil' Kim/Gaga hybrid. Le'ts not even lie. 

Yeah I'm normally not the type to say "she copied this and that" but Nicki was obviously influenced by Gaga early in her career because if Gaga didn't exist, Nicki would have dressed differently and not as clowny and tacky. Nicki is just delusional (then again when isnt she? lol)

GloZell Green

Honestly I think Gaga set up new standards to pop culture, seeing as how it changed from a more simplistic culture before her debut, and the craziness that it is now after The Fame. I love Nicki, and she has publicly stated that she loves Gaga and that Gaga has influenced some looks. While some artists may deny it, it's true. But Nicki is also her own, I love both of them :hug:

EDIT: Did people actually expect her to reply to this? Most people allude that she's a complete copy, she's not obligated to say anything. Especially when the same topic is brought up in almost every interview she has.

Lady Gaga | Shakira

Jesse Pinkman

Ugh I can't stand this woman. She obviously was marketed as a "Rapping Lady Gaga" when she first came out. She always acts so annoyed when people call her out on it. She's so fake and full of herself. And her cover is a direct homage to TFM cover.

It's science, bitch

kizurl

To be fair, almost every female popstar who has gone through 2011-present has had their 'Gaga phase'. Call me delusional or whatever, Gaga changed the game ever since she pierced into the industry. Anyone who follows pop culture and the music industry religiously can validate this.

• Zilla locked this topic

Archived