💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
band

Scissor Sisters

ctherainbow

Featured Posts

ctherainbow

The Scissor Sisters, a New-York based alt rock band, are widely considered an iconic LGBT band, so when I realized that there was no thread for these legends on GGD, I had to start one!  The Scissor Sisters, though never extremely popular in the US, were wildly popular in the UK and Europe for the first part of their career, and though their later releases were less successful, they continue to produce fantastic music!

tumblr_lefixyL38x1qbnxiao1_500.jpg

A brief bio:  

Scissor Sisters is an American pop group formed in 2001. Forged in the "scuzzy, gay nightlife scene of New York," the band took its name from the female same-s-x s-xual activity tribadism. Its members include Jake Shears and Ana Matronic as vocalists, Babydaddy as multi-instrumentalist, and Del Marquis as lead guitar/bassist. Scissor Sisters have incorporated diverse and innovative styles in their music, but tend to sway towards pop rock, glam rock, nu-disco, and electroclash.

The band came to prominence following the release of their Grammy-nominated and chart-topping disco version of "Comfortably Numb" and subsequent debut album Scissor Sisters (2004). The album was a success, particularly in the UK where it reached number one, was the best-selling album of 2004, was later certified platinum by the BPI, and accrued them three BRIT Awards in 2005. All five of its singles reached positions within the top 20 of the UK Singles Chart while "Filthy/Gorgeous" scored the band their first number one on Billboard's Hot Dance Club Songs, despite the album's meager success in their native US.

The album continued its success in countries around Europe, in Australia and in Canada before the release of the band's second studio album Ta-Dah(2006), their second consecutive UK number one album which produced their first UK number one single "I Don't Feel Like Dancin'". Their third studio album Night Work (2010) displayed a shift towards a more club-oriented sound, charting at number two on the UK Albums Chart, number one onBillboard's Top Independent Albums chart and in the top 10 of several international territories. The band released their fourth studio album Magic Hourin May 2012.

Scissor Sisters have performed around the world and have become well-recognized for their controversial and transgressive live performances. They have also collaborated with a number of other well-known pop musicians, including Elton John and Kylie Minogue; these particular collaborations have been received positively by both critics and other notable figures. In 2004, Bono, lead vocalist of rock band U2, described Scissor Sisters as "the best pop group in the world".

Albums:

Scissor Sisters

Released in 2004, the bands' debut album was a smash hit in the UK, hitting #1 and selling nearly 3 million copies, and landing in the Top 40 all-time highest-selling albums in the UK.  Named the "top gay album of all time" by Attitude Magazine, the album received an 81/100 rating from Metacritic, indicating "universal acclaim".

Worldwide Sales:  3.5+ million

Full Album Playlist:

Ta-Dah

Released in 2006, the Sisters' second consecutive UK and Irish #1 album, the Sisters' sophomore album also hit #1 in Australia, and was the band's highest-peaking album worldwide.  The album's first single, I Don't Feel Like Dancin, hit #1 in several major markets, including the UK, Germany, and Australia, marking the peak of the Sisters' commercial success.

Worldwide Sales:  1.5+ million

Full Album: 

Night Work

Released in 2010, Night Work marked the Sisters' change in sound towards dance music, and though they toured in support of industry giant Lady Gaga on her Monster Ball tour, also marked a huge loss of commercial success for the Sisters, as the album only went Gold in their best market, the UK.  However, the album still produced the moderate hit Fire With Fire, and was the band's highest-peaking album in their native US.

Worldwide Sales:  170,000+

Full Album Playlist: 

Magic Hour

Released in 2012, Magic Hour, the Sisters' last album before their indefinite hiatus, was another commercial failure, but produced the band's first viral hit, Let's Have A Kiki, which also hit #1 on the US Dance Charts.  At the end of the Magic Hour era, the Sisters announced an indefinite hiatus, though there have been recent signs that they may be planning a comeback.

Worldwide Sales:  20,000+

Full Album Playlist:

Please join me in stanning for these flawless and s-xy musicians.   :music: 

(I'll update the look and content of the OP once the update comes through)

I'm talkin' 'bout forever, baby.

The fact that none of their brilliant pop songs caught on in America in the same way their ****ty Kiki song caught on...man, that is annoying.

Great band, I hope they make a come back.

ctherainbow

The fact that none of their brilliant pop songs caught on in America in the same way their ****ty Kiki song caught on...man, that is annoying.

Great band, I hope they make a come back.

Ikr???  Take Your Mama, I Don't Feel Like Dancing, and She's My Man were all better, tbh, and that's just drawing from singles.  Hell, even off Magic Hour, Baby Come Home was fantastic, and Year Of Living Dangerously was better, too.  Oh well.  They kinda captured the gay US audience with Kiki, so I guess there's that.  :rip: 

My personal favorite.

The whole Night Work album is great, with that s-xy Mapelthorpe photo on the cover I knew it would be.

ctherainbow

LOVE THEM

Jake is so hot :giveup:

Jake is bae.  I remember hearing that he kissed Adam Lambert and hoping that meant he had broken up with his man and was single.  :rip: :giveup: 

Riot Poof

Babydaddy repping the bear community. :gaycat:

Babydaddy.jpg

I'm not a woman. I'm not a man. I am something that you'll never understand.

I loved Scissor Sisters back in the day.

I was fortunate to meet most of them on their first UK tour. (Babydaddy was sick and I didn't get his autograph.) I had a fun chat with Ana Matronic and got their debut album signed.

Archived