💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Elle Magazine on Nicki Minaj

Barbados

Featured Posts

Barbados

nicki-minaj-accepts-best-hip-hop-video-a

“This wasn’t the start of another Internet spat. What Minaj did was necessary and even radical. She was refusing to apologize for wanting to be visible and rewarded like her peers. She was calling bull**** on the audacity of a white woman, who has, in the past, responded to people of color with indifference while she bastardizes their language, hair, dance, and visual aesthetics. Minaj did what a lot of black women want to do: call out people when they try to render you invisible, when they try to render your pain insignificant.”

Read more: In Praise of the Radical and Unapologetic Nicki Minaj

gettyimages-478935728_master.jpg?quality

gallery-1440988219-gettyimages-485996114

youtube.com/watch?v=BR5ZKUKVSEI delete the <wbr> bit

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GloZell Green

I don't know how to feel about this :duck: 

I mean, she was defending herself... But I don't like that they added that black women call out others, it's a stereotype. 

Lady Gaga | Shakira

PartySick

“This wasn’t the start of another Internet spat. What Minaj did was necessary and even radical. She was refusing to apologize for wanting to be visible and rewarded like her peers. She was calling bull**** on the audacity of a white woman, who has, in the past, responded to people of color with indifference while she bastardizes their language, hair, dance, and visual aesthetics. Minaj did what a lot of black women want to do: call out people when they try to render you invisible, when they try to render your pain insignificant.”

Read more: In Praise of the Radical and Unapologetic Nicki Minaj

Really?

🖤

Really?

Which are you referring to? If towards the part of Minaj and Black women finally speaking out- that's not something I can disagree with.

If it's toward the Miley part, I feel like that's something I'd have to see personally. I don't want to immediately brush off Miley as "she's mocking Black culture", or even "she's celebrating Black culture", on a single glance.

3 points in and ready for more

PartySick

What are you trying to say

Just not sure how it's racist to wear certain hairstyles, clothes, and speak a certain way but it's not racist to tell someone they can't do it because they're white. I'm honestly sick of the red tape the SJWs are trying to put up everywhere and I refuse to walk on egg shells about it.

I'm not getting into this again though :sweat: so I'll just disagree and move on. Good luck to Nicki doing "what a lot of black women want to do".

🖤

PartySick

Which are you referring to? If towards the part of Minaj and Black women finally speaking out- that's not something I can disagree with.

If it's toward the Miley part, I feel like that's something I'd have to see personally. I don't want to immediately brush off Miley as "she's mocking Black culture", or even "she's celebrating Black culture", on a single glance.

I don't think she's doing either. I think she's wearing a hair style and other people are making it about race so they have something to be offended about.

🖤

Barbados

Just not sure how it's racist to wear certain hairstyles, clothes, and speak a certain way but it's not racist to tell someone they can't do it because they're white. I'm honestly sick of the red tape the SJWs are trying to put up everywhere and I refuse to walk on egg shells about it.

I'm not getting into this again though :sweat: so I'll just disagree and move on. Good luck to Nicki doing "what a lot of black women want to do".

Maybe you should ask yourself the question, why do they feel this way

Also no one said "because they're white" stop with the fallacies and use logic. Anyone can appropriate culture, except white culture.

White culture can only be assimilated because White culture is the dominating and favored culture.

Read More: Sociology and Knowledge Systems

PartySick

Maybe you should ask yourself the question, why do they feel this way

Also no one said "because they're white" stop with the fallacies and use logic. Anyone can appropriate culture

Just calling like I see it tbh. Everyone's panties are in a bundle for Miley wearing dreads yet no one is mad at Nicki for having straight hair or wearing a head piece that looks suspiciously like a Native American chief head piece.

I feel like it's the usual Tumblr brand "justice" trying to make the majority the villain. 

But, hey, I could be wrong. All I know is I disagree, friend.

🖤

Barbados

Just calling like I see it tbh. Everyone's panties are in a bundle for Miley wearing dreads yet no one is mad at Nicki for having straight hair or wearing a head piece that looks suspiciously like a Native American chief head piece.

I feel like it's the usual Tumblr brand "justice" trying to make the majority the villain. 

Straight hair doesn't belong to White people FYI.

And the headpiece actually belongs to her culture, because she is from Trinidad and Tobago. It's a carnival type headpiece.

nice reach tho

She's Trinidadian. Get your facts right and stop being so ignorant.

PartySick

Straight hair doesn't belong to White people FYI.

And the headpiece actually belongs to her culture, because she is from Trinidad and Congo. It's a carnival type headpiece.

nice reach tho

Thanks, I've been stretching.

See my post, though? See how little sense it makes to you? That's how much sense the article makes to me. Zero. 

I mean that with respect, too, btw. I'm not trying to fight, just stating my opinion.

🖤

I don't think she's doing either. I think she's wearing a hair style and other people are making it about race so they have something to be offended about.

I feel like this is all an individual issue pertaining towards Miley. While I do think white people appropriate "dreadlocks" specifically, I know that white people also wear different types of matted hair with respect to its respective culture. Hell, depending on how you view it, white people can wear dreadlocks in a respectful manner, and appropriate it in a disrespectful manner, all at the same time. It depends on how you view it, taking in different historical and societal factors, such as the original of the term "dreadlock", the general collective issue of cultural appropriation, and what is not cultural appropriation.

As for Miley specifically, I actually don't know the story for sure. What I've heard from the grapevine is that she mocks/caricaturizes Black women collectively when it goes along with her flow, but ignores issues over all. Again, I don't follow her so much so I don't know if I'm one to follow.

a cheif head piece? That's a Trinidadian carnival piece. But I get your point on the straight hair. It's a double standard and I don't get whyiley gets bashed for dreads and I never saw people complain when gaga do during ARTPOP.

Don't visit my profile

In defense of Nicki, I think it's a traditional Trinidadian headpiece! Or at least inspired by it.

edit: my opinion on the "then why isn't it appropriation when Black women adopt 'white' hairstyles"!

[I don't mean for this to come off as an attack to you- I love talking about this, and these conversations with you and everybody else on here have been very insightful]

I think you have to look at it through a more structural context. From my own experiences, a lot of what is seen as respectable and "classy" in the professional western world is very anglo- and euro-centric. It's an unfortunate truth that kinky hair, AAVE, or anything remotely "street"/"hood" is seen as uneducated or unprofessional, no matte the individual's level of education or creed.

A lot of it is has to do with, I assume, cultural assimilation (based on experiences from my own family). Speaking fluently and elegantly, having to fit a certain standard of "westerness", and such- which include having straight, "managed" hair.

On the flip side, it's almost never seen as some sort of statistical or logistical anomaly/of import that white people (young adult boy demographic, specifically) are the common consumer of hip-hop, and are the general perpetuation of stereotyped hip-hop culture.

Think of it that they can adopt certain aspects of other cultures without being called out, whereas other cultures are assumed/encouraged to adopt "westerness"/whiteness. imo it boils down to the idea that general white ethnicities and culture is seen as a sort of "default".

Archived