💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Piano Burning is a known performance art act

Kayla

Featured Posts

Looks like Gaga's burning pianos of previous eras were a nod to a historic performance art/ceremonial act.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_burning

"Piano burning has been a tradition in the Royal Air Force since the period between World Wars I and II when, according to one version of its origin, pianos were set alight by pilots to avoid piano lessons aimed at improving their dexterity and general level of culture. Another version of the origin is that pianos were burnt in remembrance of fallen RAF pilots. "

gaga.jpgLadyGarticle.jpg

Computer

It looks so cool.

This photo especially with Gaga.

gaga.jpg

I never knew about this.

💚💛💕❣⭕💢💢 | ⓜⓔⓡⓡⓨ ©ⓗⓡⓘⓢⓣⓜⓐⓢ

Haroon

Wow I had no idea, I thought it was a crazy but cool thing that Gaga did :omg: Super interesting when something you kinda just take at face value has a reference behind it :flutter: 

I'm not totally sure if I understand it though, so they set pianos alight because they didn't want to be forced to learn? :confused: How rebellious, how Gaga, how ARTPOP :gaycat: 

since then I always thought that she was a Performance Artist, but then again, 

checkout my channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5iGoXYpXnIfLHH1o7H9lxA

NewUsername

still kinda pressed the MB dvd doesn't have the fire because of the cameras being up there.
still happy I got to see it live WITH fire :D

In 1968, New Zealand composer Annea Lockwood (whose father was an RAF pilot) wrote a piece called Piano Burning. The score specifies that the performer uses an upright piano that is beyond repair, specifically in the composers words, "Piano burning should really be done with an upright piano; the structure is much more beautiful than that of a grand when you watch it burn. The piano must always be one that’s irretrievable, that nobody could work on, that no tuner or rebuilder could possibly bring back. It’s got to be a truly defunct piano."[5] She asks the performer to soak paper in lighter fluid, light it on fire, and drop it into the piano. She also specifies that balloons may be attached and the piano may be played for as long as the performer is able. Piano Burning is a part of her Piano Transplants series, which also includes Piano Drowning, Piano Garden, and Southern Exposure.[6][7]

Yōsuke Yama****a first performed on a burning piano in 1973, when asked by Japanese graphic designer Kiyoshi Awazu to be the subject in his short film, burning piano. 35 years later, at the age of 66, Yama****a re-watched the film and was inspired to repeat the performance. Dressed in a protective firefighter's uniform, Yama****a improvised on the burning piano during sunset on a beach in western Japan. He said of the experience, "I did not think I was risking my life but I was almost suffocating from the smoke that was continuously getting into my eyes and nose. I had decided to keep on playing until the piano stopped making sounds, so though I did not mean it but it ended up having a life-or-death battle between the piano and myself."[8] The pianos used for both performances were donated, decade-old broken ones.

Diego Stocco composed a piece called The Burning Piano, which is made up entirely of his recordings of a burning piano. Stocco began the burning process by pointing a butane lighter directly towards the strings and played single notes, and after the flame was extinguished he played with what remained.[9] He recorded the entire process and later rearranged samples to create the piece of music. The virtual instrument company Spectrasonics created a sample library called Omnisphere which includes a Burning Piano sample recorded by Stocco.

i love it it's so fame monster

Schwerk

Thanks for pointing this out, I never heard of it and it's interesting to connect it to Gaga. Was she trying to teach pop a lesson again? 

It looks so cool.

This photo especially with Gaga.

gaga.jpg

I never knew about this.

This is the performance that made me a little monster :flutter: 

According to Gaga I'm a ****ing rad bitch

Archived