Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

The misunderstandings of the "ARTPOP" concept are hilarious

XoXoJoanneGaga

Featured Posts

XoXoJoanneGaga

I was going to write this in another thread but felt like making my own so there could be more discussion. The thread was inspired by this post in regards to Miley's new album, but there have been countless similar posts made over the last year+ I'm sure:

"*EXACTLY

No **** given about charts. That's the music she felt inside, that she wanted to record. This is the brilliant part inside, the ARTPOP soul."

This idea that some fans have about ARTPOP somehow not being for the charts, or being music purely from the soul/heart, is incredibly flawed and off-base. Again, ARTPOP was the opposite of not giving a **** about the charts. Every song on the album, even the couple that deviated from Gaga's established formula (Aura and Swine) were produced with the intention of radio play and being hits. Now they didn't actually succeed at that for the most part, because the songs would have been significantly better recieved by radio and the public if they were better produced and mixed (ala 1989) as opposed to being sonically jumbled and compressed-sounding, but that was due to rushed and unprofessional recording and mixing sessions, not artistic intention.

There's nothing inherently wrong with Gaga wanting to make safe and commercial pop music if she does it well (as she did on Applause and DWUW) but I don't understand why some of her fans believe that this idea of making music for yourself and not the charts is something that she's actually embodied herself at any point when that's clearly not the case. I like Gaga's convoluted ramblings and interviews as much as the next fan, they're a part of her DNA, but the downside is that there's generally been a dissonance between her words and her actions, especially during the ARTPOP era due to her career being mismanaged, but some fans don't recognize this dissonance and end up giving her credit for things she's never done, or ideals she's never carried out that are a complete distraction from what she's actually achieved in her work.

The whole original idea behind ARTPOP (reinforced by her recent instagram post) was putting visual and performance art at the forefront through the delivery vehicle of commercial pop music, which is something that many pop stars have been doing since the 1970's and something Gaga herself has done her whole career (which is why it was a flawed album concept from the start, it's not a thematic concept at all, it's a delivery method). Somehow this intention got buried under all her rants against the industry and money-hungry managers. But those rants and interviews had nothing to do with ARTPOP or the album itself (which was clearly a very safe and commercial record that was intended to succeed on the charts and please her record label and managment), they were a reaction to the **** that went wrong in her career that led to her making such a flawed album with such a misguided and terribly executed era. 

Gaga is always going to make pretty safe and commercial music, that's what she does, it'll just be much better produced and executed from now on and accompanied by high-quality visuals and concepts as they were during her hey-dey. Miley making what is essentially an indie record and her take on neo-psych and dream-pop is cool, but it has absolutely nothing to do with Gaga or her ideals. Gaga does not make un-commercial music! She doesn't take musical risks, that's not who she is! She's always been about delivering high-quality performance art and visuals through clever but safe and accessible pop music. The only remotely risky thing she ever put on the radio was Bad Romance (which is one of the numerous reasons why it's her masterpiece). It just bugs me to see some fans pretentiously giving her credit for ideals she doesn't embody at all.

Sorry for the long post lol

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Miley & Her Dead Petz was everything ARTPOP was supposed to be.

Dude. Read the OP and retort with an argument why lol

XoXoJoanneGaga

Miley & Her Dead Petz was everything ARTPOP was supposed to be.

Lol are you trolling? At least read the thread before responding. Like I said, ARTPOP was never supposed to be some indie-record that couldn't be played on the radio. The exact opposite

Miley's album doesn't align with the concept of ARTPOP. It only aligns with what Gaga has preached about with making experimental music and I don't think fans can distinguish between what Gaga has said about her music being experimental and the concept of ARTPOP because they were pretty much said around the same time. 

Lol are you trolling? At least read the thread before responding. Like I said, ARTPOP was never supposed to be some indie-record that couldn't be played on the radio. The exact opposite

LOL I'm joking. But the whole concept for the album was flawed and at one point biased as Hell due to what was going on with her and her label. 

LanasNerfGun

I have to disagree with your point on ARTPOP's production.  Compared to 1989, ARTPOP has a more dynamic, crisp sound which I rather enjoy definitely a step up from her previous albums in terms of quality.

JusKeepBreathin

lol Swine was safe... so was MJH...LOL and Aura was safe...LOL Jewels N' Drugs was safe:lmao:. Dope was safe....:sharon:. G.U.Y. was safe:omfgaga:

John Mayer gets it. So sad you don't.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

i agree that ARTPOP was pretty safe and commericial but there's no evidence that that's Gaga's fault. her label ****ed with the production, the vocals and everything. maybe i'm gullible but i really don't believe that Gaga wants to  spend her whole career inside the box

XoXoJoanneGaga

LOL I'm joking. But the whole concept for the album was flawed and at one point biased as Hell due to what was going on with her and her label. 

Lol fair enough, I like first-response troll replies but I usually take everything I read on the site at face-value.

Yea, the concept was incredibly flawed for an album but what's hilarious is that she couldn't even explain the general idea of "ARTPOP" coherently enough for her die-hard fans to get, to the point where many have no idea what she was trying to do even 2 years after the fact.

VenusBlackStar

I disagree on the compressed sound of the album...to me it sounds pretty full and immersive. It's sharp and precise production-wise.

I agree.

There's nothing more entertaining than seeing fans claiming that gay-ish, rave lite pop songs are risky or experimental. 

XoXoJoanneGaga

lol Swine was safe... so was MJH...LOL and Aura was safe...LOL Jewels N' Drugs was safe:lmao:. Dope was safe....:sharon:. G.U.Y. was safe:omfgaga:

John Mayer gets it. So sad you don't.

GUY is arguably her safest song ever, and as I said the couple of songs on the album that step outside her established formula were still produced to be potential singles. Please listen to more music if you think those songs are risky. And how do those John Mayer tweets connect at all to this? They're incredibly vague and could literally be said about any artist who releases remotely inspired music

JusKeepBreathin

GUY is arguably her safest song ever, and as I said the couple of songs on the album that step outside her established formula were still produced to be potential singles. Please listen to more music if you think those songs are risky. And how do those John Mayer tweets connect at all to this? They're incredibly vague and could literally be said about any artist who releases remotely inspired music

The tweets were in fact about Gaga. Look it up. Your assumption that I don't listen to all kinds of music just because I don't agree with you is really just sad. Stay pressed hater. :proud:

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Archived