đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Slipknot's Corey Taylor: Pop music is insulting

Bellatrix

Featured Posts

freebit

He honestly makes some good points. Yeah, he doesn't have to go out of his way to listen to it, but sometimes this music is practically inescapable. 

It's throwing the baby out with the bathwater to rag on pop music when there's a lot of great musicians currently making pop music (Gaga, Brandon Flowers, Marina etc.)  At the same time I understand the frustration when you have critics like Rob Sheffeld from Rolling Stone making ridiculous proclamations like "Britney uses her auto-tune like Bob Dylan used the harmonica," and the soulless, overall cynical feel of PC music, as well as certain awful EDM and trap songs that continue to get radio play.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TEANUS

There's nothing wrong with auto tune when used in certain circumstances. Generalizing all people who use auto tune as talentless is plain out incorrect. And b---h listen, if your gonna say everyone who uses auto tune is bad, then is in your genre too tbh. If you wanna get technical, auto tune could be as simple as adding an echo effect

British social ladies with upturned pinkies, glasses clinking // xoxoTEANUS

Kayla

I know that it's Slipknot's "thing" to be all anti-popular and anti-beautiful, so I shouldn't be taking this too seriously, but (incoming rant)...

I just find it funny how he denounces anything that is marketed for mass consumption, when Slipknot's entire premise makes them one of the most marketable bands in modern rock. LOOK at them perform, for Christ's sake. I like their music, they can all play their instruments, but come on. What they "stand for" in the industry is absolute bullsh*t; their entire success is founded upon their meticulously managed look, and their accessible pop metal. They are in no position to judge pop artists for perfecting their musical product to appeal to a wider audience, when they've spent their entire career doing so (unveiling their new masks was bigger than ARTPOP!). Speaking publicly about the decline of popular music and reeling off buzzwords like "autotune" only adds to their own image. Tbh, they're they biggest hypocrites in rock at the moment and interviews like this only make them seem like even more of a joke.

Now I'm off to listen to Psychosocial. :giveup:

It's interesting you point this out, because it's something people often don't think about. Rock artists create an image just as much as a pop artist does. Pop artists tend to do more in the public eye to further that image, as they tend to be on talk shows and awards shows more often nowadays, but the fact is famous people in any genre are building an image. 

When people saw that video of Gaga performing "Captivated," they assumed her then current "antics" were fake (clearly they didn't see the videos of her performing in clubs before she was famous, but I digress....) because they were different from her high school/college style. 
Yet Amy Lee from Evanescence, she goes from a very simple high school student with a laid back style to the goth look and people don't call it fake. I don't think EITHER scenarios are fake- both artists are incredible and genuine with their style, but the way that people apparently think only Pop artists create an image is flawed. 

Jjang

It's really a matter of priorities, isn't it? the vast majority of people don't actually care about musicalities or quality. They just listen to soundscapes that are easily accessible and for the most part relatable as well. That's why it's so wrong to judge an entire group of people who enjoy pop music more, because truth be told not everyone gives a **** about his perspective because their lives don't revolve around music, yet the most accessible form of music in terms of sound and structure is pop and that is why it receives a bigger amount of commercial success. Though, him implying that quality is defined by success...now that's insulting to music.

Tommy Monster

I hate these old and biased opinions about music, we are moving forward in everything, music as well... why can´t a song be perfect??? does it not give me the emotion?? yes, it does, it´s the same, why do so many people think that only the old ways of doing things are right?? that kind of thinking is really reserved... :smh: 

Battle 4 Ur Life

Slipknot is insulting...to my ears, eyes and especially my brain.

"We own the Downtown, hear our sound."

Archived