Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Sonically cohesive vs. Unique songs

Dorothy Gale

Featured Posts

Dorothy Gale

I prefer albums that are eclectic. I think albums like FROOT for instance try too hard to be 'sonically cohesive' and that in the end some songs end up too samey. 

SEVDALIZA

I tend to like cohesive albums better. I feel like when an album's theme and/or sound is all over the place it's less enjoyable. Let's see, I usually choose an album according to the way I'm feeling, so I prefer to have a whole album that matches that one mood than a song. Does that make sense?

operating from another world

Both? :laughga:
 like if every song is the same then what's the point of the album :rip: and if every single song differs like they're just singles and fillers thrown there what's the point too :rip:

I like both when they are done well.
For example Janelle Monae mixes songs together really now, they bleed in to eachother and it works well. I didn't like that ARTPOP was so eclectic I would've liked a bit of a more unified feel (but absolutely with some unique standouts)

ItsTommyBitch

Both. Cohesive can sound just as bad as eclectic without direction. For me, each individual song sounds pretty unique on FROOT atmospherically, but the sonic cohesion just connects them, especially since the songs are attributed to polar ends of the same theme :shrug:

But Eclectic can also make it sound like a random combination of songs and really removes the sentimentality of it being a "record" or "album", like... its just "I made these songs and put them together" -- I actually really like the promo schedule of releasing an album that has some sort of focus, and that can easily be lost with an overly eclectic album, unless eclecticism is part of the theme of the album itself.

If anything, I'd prefer a bad cohesive album over a bad eclectic album I guess :laughga: 

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

Alfonso

Both. Cohesive can sound just as bad as eclectic without direction. For me, each individual song sounds pretty unique on FROOT atmospherically, but the sonic cohesion just connects them, especially since the songs are attributed to polar ends of the same theme :shrug:

But Eclectic can also make it sound like a random combination of songs and really removes the sentimentality of it being a "record" or "album", like... its just "I made these songs and put them together" -- I actually really like the promo schedule of releasing an album that has some sort of focus, and that can easily be lost with an overly eclectic album, unless eclecticism is part of the theme of the album itself.

If anything, I'd prefer a bad cohesive album over a bad eclectic album I guess :laughga: 

This 

ARTPOPchamp

Albums can be both cohesive and unique. Cohesive songs don't have to all sound the same, when actual instruments are used that is. With synths and electronic music, when you aim for cohesiveness, that's when they sound the same, but if the instruments used are real - such as actual guitars and drums, piano, etc - you can achieve a more cohesive but very different sound song to song. The cohesion comes from the same wheelhouse of instruments rather than similar synths, etc. 

ARTPOPchamp

Like if you make an album using guitars and wind instruments or brass, you can achieve a cohesive yet very different sound because the instruments are in the same family, but with electronic music, synths can be very restrictive and repetitive. 

ARTPOPchamp

And if the music is within the same genre such as disco or rock, it also creates a cohesive album, rather than trying to touch on every genre on an album like ARTPOP tried to do but failed - the edm, the hiphop, etc.

Noam Zioni

FROOT is amazing and unique.. I don't hear any similarities between songs lol

But I'd rather a unique album than a cohesive album. that every track sounds different and amazing as always

Dorothy Gale

FROOT is amazing and unique.. I don't hear any similarities between songs lol

Really? At least half of the album is interchangeable to me. 

Jester

I really don't care about cohesiveness tbh, I like unique little masterpieces tbh

Noam Zioni

Really? At least half of the album is interchangeable to me. 

I'm sorry, but I can't see any similarities between FROOT (the song) and happy/savages/CMPD/Solitaire

or any similarities between forget and I'm a Ruin or immortal or Gold..

the album is cohesive, but every track sounds different from the other musically wise..

I'm not angry or dissing you, im just trying to make my point so sorry if you think im angry at you :hug:

Archived