💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
digital art

Sex Dreams single cover & essay/explanation

gagzus

Featured Posts

gagzus

I created this a while ago now, it was for my college course & we had to pic a song and create a single cover using three words from the lyrics of the song and that represented the song sonically also, so i chose Sex Dreams.

below is part of my evaluation/explanation from my coursework essay

When designing my CD cover, I drew inspiration from the artist [Gaga] and their already established CD covers associated with the album [ARTPOP] that the chosen song of Sexxx Dreams is from. During her ARTPOP era, Gaga had single covers that featured primarily white borders and handwritten lettering rather than serif, sans-serif or calligraphy typefaces and they feature primarily bold imagery that catches the audience’s eye.

My main inspiration for using a statue on the cover, came from the actual album cover itself which features a sculpture by artist Jeff Koons, [whom has only ever created one other sculpture of a musician, which was Michael Jackson and his pet monkey Bubbles] the cover features a sculpture of Gaga amongst a collage of two famous art works; The Birth of Venus and Apollo & Daphne.

These factors all helped me generate my final outcome, featuring a bold edited image of the artist that uses the collage technique to create a design that looks very surreal & cartoon-esque, thus reflecting the nature of the song and it's message.

The cover uses pink clouds in the background to represent the pace of the song, the beat is very rhythmic and mimics that of s-xual stimulation from foreplay through to climax, I chose pink specifically because of the phrase "seeing pink elephants" when excessively drunk and thus reflecting the spoken word lyrics after the bridge. The statue arose from the lyrics; "petrified by a woman" as well as my requirement to use bold imagery. And what is more bold than a large marble statue?

As with all my work, I wanted to represent the female [Gaga] on the cover in a strong way, promoting a slightly feminist attitude towards the cover thus contradicting the song, which is about erotic s-x and thinking of another when you're making love to your lover, and the slightly surreal appearance of the cover I created, this was intentional as I wanted the cover to be both empowering but also satirical at the same time.

I tested several versions of this cover, using my own handwriting to stay with the theme of ARTPOP's single covers, however I feel my own handwriting was far too messy to be appropriate so I opted for a calligraphy typeface that looked exactly like what I wanted to use.

Cover - Front:

Cover - Back:

Disc:

Livery:

gagzus

It's 'Sexxx Dreams' tho :green: nice essay btw

​it was easier to write as Sex Dreams haha, but the single cover front does have the three X's :) 

Didymus

Oh em gee it's ****ing badass. Almost orgasmic, it reminds me of Christian statues of mystics, there's a sense of melancholic ecstasy in it that I just love that is intensified by the fact that a statue is supposed to evoke a more static mode of being.

Brilliant use of color too, really an impeccable job.

evgenigerm2

It's Sexxx Dreams, not Sex Dreams :air:

„I allow myself to fail. I allow myself to break. I'm not afraid of my flaws.“

gagzus

Oh em gee it's ****ing badass. Almost orgasmic, it reminds me of Christian statues of mystics, there's a sense of melancholic ecstasy in it that I just love that is intensified by the fact that a statue is supposed to evoke a more static mode of being.

Brilliant use of color too, really an impeccable job.

​that's one of the reasons I chose i statue, a static mode of being versus clouds with a sense of paced motion

Didymus

It's Sexxx Dreams, not Sex Dreams :air:

​Read the other posts and actually look at the single cover, you twat.

gagzus

It's 'Sexxx Dreams' tho :green: nice essay btw

​thanks, this is just an excerpt from my full essay, it ended up being like several pages long :spin:

LoveandMagic

I don't know why but these images just aren't loading for me.

Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show. I should really just relax."

Nathan James

Wonderful stuff. Would like fantastic blown up lets say as a vinyl sleeve etc. Very beautiful. :kissga:

Archived