music news

TIDAL backfires at it's owners/artists

Pure Adrenaline

Featured Posts

Pure Adrenaline

It’s a Trap! TIDAL and the common fallacy of music royalties

tidal_rihanna_nicki_e_madonna.jpg

(...)

Today’s relaunch of the lossless streaming service TIDAL was nothing more than a 15 minute parade of fame masquerading as a protest march for justice in the war on artist compensation. Jack White, Jason Aldean, Madonna, Rihanna, Daft Punk, Deadmau5, and a zillion other household names took the stage to declare their allegiance to a fledgling music service with no traction, no cashflow, and (in my opinion) sub-par software, all in the name of getting paid.

Guess what: they’re still not getting paid.

The reason artists don’t get paid from streaming services is that they don’t own the music they record.

It’s scary for artists to learn how many people have listened to their music, and compare to the fractional royalty statements they’re being sent. Thing is, it’s not Spotify’s fault.

(...)

Labels own the content, and they sell it to TIDAL and other services wholesale. And that’s who gets paid. If an artist gets anything (sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t), it’s because the deal they have with their label allows for a fraction of sales to be paid out as royalties (after they recoup their advances, of course).

If we want a war, let’s have a war. But let’s make it about unfair label contracts, and not about whether streaming services are paying out enough money.

https://medium.com/@revrev/it-s-a-trap-tidal-and-the-common-fallacy-of-music-royalties-db479441ad58

poor sistrens didn't know what they were signing for .... even when u r rich the small letters are important in the contract

ibratAlAduLc5G.jpg

It's much more fun to have hizophrenia... u never get lonely

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Goldfish

its all such a joke, the only good thing is its giving Madonna more publicity, yassss

It will flop, and this time next year it wont be popular at all.

I invented post-its

Didymus

I'm sure that artists know about this, though :rip: I mean, like the article says, the labels make the deals, not the artists, streaming royalties details are in their contracts and they're getting paid accordingly so you can be sure that they're aware of this.

Taylor's anti-Spotify stunt was probably a smart way to boost sales and TIDAL will probably make different deals with record labels so the artists do get more money, but I wouldn't call that backfiring. I'd call that success. Still pretentious and hypocritical, but success. What's more probable to me is that labels and artists are working together to earn more money together.

Stupid article.

No one is going to pay $20 a month when we have so many other options. 

​The $10 option exists though; which puts it in direct competition with Spotify/GooglePlay

Archived