Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Jay Z: "Music became free, but people will pay 6$ for water"

700guns

Featured Posts

Billboard: When did it first occur to you to get into the streaming business?

Jay Z: A year-and-a-half ago. We saw the movement and how everything was going and figured that this could possibly be the last music format that we see in this lifetime. We didn’t like the direction music was going and thought maybe we could get in and strike an honest blow and if, you know, the very least we did was make people wake up and try to improve the free vs. paid system, and promote fair trade, then it would be a win for us anyway.

Musicians have long complained that streaming has rendered music virtually worthless. It doesn’t sound like you’re solely driven by financial reasons, but also by a desire to reset the value proposition of music.

That’s correct, absolutely, and when I spoke to every single person involved that’s what I said. Music is … imagine your life without music. It’s a very valuable part of your life, and like I said, that’s why we got in this business. It seems to be going the other way. People are not respecting the music, and [are] devaluing it and devaluing what it really means. People really feel like music is free, but will pay $6 for water. You can drink water free out of the tap, and it’s good water. But they’re OK paying for it. It’s just the mind-set right now.

In some ways music is probably closer to priceless than worthless.

Yes. The experiences that I’ve had growing up with music, you know, I couldn’t trade them for any money in the world. Dancing in the living room to enjoy myself. “Enjoy Yourself,” Michael Jackson. Those moments and just that feeling of joy, it’s priceless, like you said.

Isn’t another of your goals to make sure the revenue makes its way down the food chain to content creators?

Definitely. For someone like me, I can go on tour. But what about the people working on the record, the content creators and not just the artists? If they’re not being compensated properly, then I think we’ll lose some writers and producers and people like that who depend on fair trade. Some would probably have to take another job, and I think we’ll lose some great writers in the process. Is it fair? No. If you put in work, everyone else, you go to work you get paid. That’s fair trade. It’s what our country is built on.

So, Tidal launches today. Creatively, what do you hope happens, beginning tomorrow?

Artists come here and start making songs 18 minutes long, or whatever. I know this is going to sound crazy, but maybe they start attempting to make a “Like a Rolling Stone,” you know, a song that doesn’t have a recognizable hook, but is still considered one of the greatest songs of all time, the freedom that this platform will allow art to flourish here. And we’re encouraging people to put it in any format they like. It doesn't have to be three minutes and 30 seconds. What if it’s a minute and 17, what if it’s 11; you know, just break format. What if it’s just four minutes of just music and then you start rapping?

Twelve months from now, what would be your definition of success with Tidal? It doesn’t sound like it’s a financial benchmark.

If everyone says, “Wow, so many things have changed. This has gotten better. I like what's happening.” If Aloe Blacc and his writers, the guys he wrote with, are not seeing a
,000 check from 168 million streams.

They did their job, they worked, they done it. The people loved it, the people consumed it. Where’d it go? People didn’t pay or stream Aloe Blacc’s music for it to turn into vapor and go into the air. Where is it? 

If in 12 months everyone is having that discussion and a dialogue, and everyone is understanding that streaming’s not a bad thing, I’m happy. Let’s embrace what’s coming up next.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...vine-interview

I´m from Norway and that quote :rip: (We drink from tap since water here is cleaner than other places)
and who the hell pays 6 dollars for a bottle of water? :rip:
Do you think Jay Z is out of touch with reality? :rip:
And I stole this from atrl :rip:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sugarfall

I don't buy bottled water because tap water is fine here, but is a bottle of water really that expensive? :omg: 

darkchylde

I don't buy bottled water because tap water is fine here, but is a bottle of water really that expensive? :omg: 

​No. A bottle of water is not 6$. However, Jay Z doesn't live in the real world so maybe the water he drinks does cost 6$ a bottle. 

DeleteMyAccount

Well the tap water in my apartment is crap, so that's why I usually buy bottled.  You can't download water for free.  And bottled water is not that expensive..

Swan Heart

Oh shut up, you're rich as ****, just shut the **** up.

:fthis:

They say it's the last song. They don't know us, you see. It's only the last song if we let it be.

I do drink filtered tap water. :rip:

And since when does a bottle of water cost 6 dollars? :rip:

and humans can't survive without WATER. how come is he comparing water with music? :rip: 

lego

Well remember that tweet, "Jay Z doesn't know how much things cost, if you'd ask him money for bananas he'd give you 40 dollars".

FreePalestine

Bebe

Yeah ok, we all get that bottled water doesn't cose $6. Was it hyperbole? Does he legitimately not know? I don't know and I don't really care.

"For someone like me, I can go on tour. But what about the people working on the record, the content creators and not just the artists? If they’re not being compensated properly, then I think we’ll lose some writers and producers and people like that who depend on fair trade. "

"Artists come here and start making songs 18 minutes long, or whatever. I know this is going to sound crazy, but maybe they start attempting to make a “Like a Rolling Stone,” you know, a song that doesn’t have a recognizable hook, but is still considered one of the greatest songs of all time, the freedom that this platform will allow art to flourish here. And we’re encouraging people to put it in any format they like."

I would prefer to discuss these quotes that are actually relevant to what this whole discussion should be about.

Is this an effective way for artists and musicians, both established and up-and-coming, to be able to live off their work? Is it a fair way for these artists to be paid?

Is this a platform that will allow, and maybe even encourage, artists to experiment more with the length and structure of their songs without being confined by radio expectations?

That's what's important.

Teal Ambition

6$ for a water bottle? :lmao: He's crazy. It's like 1,50$ here.

Although, I do buy bottled water because I don't like the taste of tap water even though its safe to drink it here.

He shouldn't be comparing water to music though :rip: 

▌│█║▌║▌║ before I am Canadian, I am Chromatican ║▌║▌║█│▌

Harry

Yeah ok, we all get that bottled water doesn't cose $6. Was it hyperbole? Does he legitimately not know? I don't know and I don't really care.

"For someone like me, I can go on tour. But what about the people working on the record, the content creators and not just the artists? If they’re not being compensated properly, then I think we’ll lose some writers and producers and people like that who depend on fair trade. "

"Artists come here and start making songs 18 minutes long, or whatever. I know this is going to sound crazy, but maybe they start attempting to make a “Like a Rolling Stone,” you know, a song that doesn’t have a recognizable hook, but is still considered one of the greatest songs of all time, the freedom that this platform will allow art to flourish here. And we’re encouraging people to put it in any format they like."

I would prefer to discuss these quotes that are actually relevant to what this whole discussion should be about

​This. I highly doubt he put too much thought into that number because there's a much bigger topic at hand.

But of course, everyone ignores that... Ugh this site feels like the Daily Mail sometimes :rip:

Archived