💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

"Home" continues string of DreamWorks underperfomances

Spock

Featured Posts

Spock

Massive write downs. Failed sales. Deep staffing cuts.

The company’s suffering won’t be alleviated when “Home,” its upcoming alien invasion film, lands on Friday. The picture is on track to open to between $30 million and $35 million, a respectable result but for the fact that it also carries a $130 million price tag.

“Home” opened to strong numbers overseas last week, leading some a--lysts to predict that the film should end up with more than $100 million domestically and roughly $380 million globally.

“They would skirt the write down and be out of a deficit situation with those numbers,” said David Miller, an a--lyst with Topeka Capital Markets.

Others are less optimistic.

“We have become a little bit more concerned that ‘Home’ could under-perform expectations, even though they were not overly high,” said Tuna Amobi, an a--lyst with S&P Capital IQ. “The company could be hard pressed to recoup its initial investment.”

If “Home” can break even or turn a profit, it will be a better showing than DreamWorks achieved on three of its four most recent films — “Mr. Peabody and Sherman,” “Turbo” and “Penguins of Madagascar” all ended up in the red. At the same time, the company’s stock was buffeted after possible sales to Hasbro and Softbank fizzled.

Film flops left the company in a deep financial hole with the company reporting $300 million in operating losses last year. In order to climb out, DreamWorks is scaling down the number of films it fields annually from three to two. That’s left “Home” as the company’s sole release this year, intensifying the scrutiny that surrounds its performance.

In addition to paring down its release slate, DreamWorks Animation has laid off 500 people and sold its Glendale campus. Those steps have eased liquidity concerns, but they come at a cost.

The knock on DreamWorks Animation has been that its films have become generic — an interchangeable array of big name voice actors and fart jokes. What seemed fresh with “Kung Fu Panda” and “Shrek” has grown stale, particularly now that Illumination Entertainment, Paramount Animation, Fox’s Blue Sky Studios and Warner Bros. Animation have all invested heavily in the animation space, producing their own hits. The market for toon fare is no longer dominated by DreamWorks Animation and Pixar.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/dreamworks-animation-wont-get-much-relief-from-home-1201459801/

Now Hasbro won't even touch them with a stick.
But that's what you get when your CEO trashes every other animation company :reductive:

who will love me when the night is over

Pure Adrenaline

guess Gaga is not the only pop star that makes movies flop :fan:

It's much more fun to have hizophrenia... u never get lonely

too bad DreamWorks' animated movies quality equals their financial success :madge: 

月にかわって、おしおきよ!🌙

Spock

guess Gaga is not the only pop star that makes movies flop :fan:

​and she didn't help a studio sink even further :lolgaga:
DW was really hoping that people would turn up for Rihanna

That reign just won't let up

9wist3.gif

​Werk it ...

OT:That's actually kinda sad tbh. But Kung Fu Panda is still quite the animation. 

Well have to see what they come up with next because apparently big name voice actors/singers aren't enough anymore...

Morphine Prince

They are no Pixar. They need to get their **** together and make more interesting movies. Although I haven't seen many of the movies they've come out with recently. 

$380 million globally isn't good? The budget of the film was $100 million I don't see how that's not good?!

the movies Pixar is releasing aren't new concepts either though, it has to be the crude humor coupled with the fact all their films in the last 5 years have essentially bombed

Spock

$380 million globally isn't good? The budget of the film was $100 million I don't see how that's not good?!

​Not really because of marketing and distribution costs. Movies like Harry Potter with $900 million gorss barely break in (even if they have a higher budget and marketing costs). If it had been $380 million domestically, plus the international take, yes. But $380 million total for the whole run isn't very good at all, especially when you factor in the position DreamWorks is in now.

Spock

the movies Pixar is releasing aren't new concepts either though, it has to be the crude humor coupled with the fact all their films in the last 5 years have essentially bombed

​Inside Out is looking to snatch every weave though :reductive:

Archived