Featured Posts

Vernier

I love how you just snubbed Rita :rip:

Well to put it nicely, I don't care much for Rita :rip:

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taraji P. Henson Reveals 'Cookie' Was Inspired By Lil' Kim.

empire.jpg

Taraji P. Henson on Playing Cookie, Everyone’s Favorite Character on Empire

Newly released after seventeen years in prison, Cookie is one part Mae West, one part Lil’ Kim. She talks trash, wears her skirts short, and tosses off one-liners as hilarious as they are cringe-worthy. She has a soft side, too, and her alliance with her gay son, Jamal, who was rejected by her ex-husband Lucious (played by Terrence Howard) because of his s-xuality, is a tender storyline in a series packed with big, boisterous moments. We reached Henson by phone in Chicago, where she’s filming the series, to ask her how she brings the electric character to life.

Were there people from hip-hop culture that you specifically referenced for Cookie?
She’s more than hip-hop: She’s everywoman, she’s a mother, she’s a family woman, a wife, a ride-or-die. She made a sacrifice to break the cycle of poverty, and that makes her an everywoman. Is she influenced by Foxy Brown? Certainly. That’s where a lot of her style comes fromâ€â€Salt-N-Pepa, all of that. That era of hip-hop was her heyday, those are the woman she identifies with.

Lil’ Kim is surely a big influence on Cookie.
Kim is everything. Today it’s Nicki Minaj, but Nicki Minaj got everything from Kim. Kim came on the scene and made everything change for womenâ€â€she made it feminine and s-xy and hardcore. She was a champion, and she’s certainly Cookie’s champion.

Blue Jeans

This episode slayed me :legend:

Cookie being the manager of the LGBT kids :sis:

and Jamal punching his brother :legend: (even tho he was innocent :toofunny:)

Destiny is for losers. It’s just a stupid excuse to wait for things to happen instead of making them happen

Vernier

Cookie 'Oliva Pope'ing' the entire ep and fixing everyone's messes :queenga:

Andre was a mess exposing Tiana like that :sweep: but Cookie's reaction :rip: And poor Hakeem for once, he actually had no idea :emma:

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn

Blue Jeans

This week episode promo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtMKM0OQMWo

By the way the show breaked Fox's 23 year old rating record

Destiny is for losers. It’s just a stupid excuse to wait for things to happen instead of making them happen

Wow congrats for the ratings, this is so impressive especially for a channel like FOX that lately had difficulties to have a real hit serie :applause:

I definitely would've have thought this would've been as big of a hit as it's become

I guess we can thank "Drip Drop" for being so ridiculous it's basically viral on twitter

Drip Drop and Keep Your Money are both stuck in my head, help :deadbanana:

This week episode promo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtMKM0OQMWo

By the way the show breaked Fox's 23 year old rating record

Courtney :legend:

Blue Jeans

This episode was amazing :giveup:

the opening scene with the engagement announcement slayed me :nooo:

LmTvwNt.gif

I feel a little bit sad for Jamal's boyfriend tho.. (the actor who plays the bf is not very good tho)

This episode was amazing :giveup:

the opening scene with the engagement announcement slayed me :nooo:

I feel a little bit sad for Jamal's boyfriend tho.. (the actor who plays the bf is not very good tho)

The last minute of last night's episode :rip:

Totally wasn't expecting that

Blue Jeans

The last minute of last night's episode :rip:

Totally wasn't expecting that

Yess , Raven slayed my existence :air:

Blue Jeans

The promo for next week :nooo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTmRol21p9s

Can they just axe Jamal's mess of a boyfriend already? He can NOT act at all and he's such an inconsequential character.

Archived