Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Taylor Swift's label EXPOSES Spotify

Morphine Prince

Featured Posts

Morphine Prince

The war of words continues between music streaming service Spotify and powerful pop icon Taylor Swift. After Swift removed her entire catalog from the streaming service last week, Spotify boss Daniel Ek said that she, along with other mainstream artists, was on track to earn over $6 million in royalties this year. But Scott Borchetta, CEO of Swift's label Big Machine, has countered that claim, saying that the "Shake It Off" singer had earned less than $500,000 from Spotify streams in the US in the last 12 months.

A Spotify spokesperson told Time that Swift had been paid a total of $2 million over the last 12 months for the global streaming of her songs, but Borchetta still maintains that Spotify is a blight on the music industry. "The facts show that the music industry was much better off before Spotify hit these shores," he said, clarifying the amount Spotify paid out over the last year as "the equivalent of less than 50,000 albums sold." According to Borchetta, Swift earns more from her videos on Vevo than she did from having her music on Spotify.

Of course, half a million dollars in a vacuum is an impressive figure, but Swift is phenomenally successful in terms of sales, and one of a few remaining mega pop stars. Her most recent album, 1989, became the first this year to sell more than a million copies in a week  a feat only equaled by 18 albums in history. Unlike most, Taylor Swift can make millions off the back of traditional album sales, but by keeping her music away from Spotify even as it begs for her to come back, she and Borchetta say they're trying to make the larger point that the service doesn't pay its artists a reasonable fee. "[Taylor Swift] is the most successful artist in music today," Borchetta says. "What about the rest of the artists out there struggling to make a career?"

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/12/7212365/taylor-swifts-label-hits-back-at-spotify-streaming-500000-year

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jonna Lee

awe, poor baby! making more money than a lot of people see in their lifetimes must be so tough, you better remove all your music from access to much of the general public!

i like it when u treat me mean it turns my mood from black to blue

MonsterMum

Streaming will not stop, this Taylor vs Spotify is getting tired.

Spotify will be here and sales will continue to fall, the end, let's get over it.

Jenniferella

What the hell ? Are they complaining about not making enough money ? How about letting music be accessible to as many people as possible ?

"I have been writing LG5 since I was 13"

She's one of if not the most successful artist this year and she's earning half a million from free streams. That poor girl. Praying for her right now, her life is so tough :(

awe, poor baby! making more money than a lot of people see in their lifetimes must be so tough, you better remove all your music from access to much of the general public!

Tove Lo

Though I don't like Taylor, I will defend her on this. I mean it's her job and if there is a way to earn more money in your job, then do it.

hop on that **** like a maniac

I love Spotify and think it's a brilliant and convenient thing for the public, but I agree that Spotify needs to pay the artists more, for sure. Taylor might already have a lot of money, but Spotify is used for new, up-and-coming artists too that don't have that and need that money in order to continue making music.

Jonna Lee

Though I don't like Taylor, I will defend her on this. I mean it's her job and if there is a way to earn more money in your job, then do it.

she can do it by crafting great songs that people love (which she does), not yanking it out of everyones reach.

i like it when u treat me mean it turns my mood from black to blue

she just comes across as so greedy with this. i refuse to buy her album even though I love it because of this stunt. 

Exactly.

lol didn't gaga say once she didn't care if people downloaded or found her music, as long as they're listening to it? it certainly is about the bling to some artists ? otherwise i'm confused :thetea:

Archived