Featured Posts

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Vernier

Not surprising, she's always been more global than the rest of them :applause:

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn

LeoFameMonster

this is no surprise, it is why Gaga is 90% of the time number 1 on forbes most influential, powerful and highest earning.. And this doesn't include net worth because Gaga would be way past the rest. She sh*ts money!

Also shocked at Rihanna Album sales! shes a single's artist so that is surprising, maybe its from her recent albums.

Also this goes to show factually that Katy Perry isn't a album artist, side note, not that many singles sold for someone who goes number 1 all the time. Maybe because people just want to hear her on the radio all the time but people want to hear Gaga all the time since her music is timeless and transcendent .

Robotboy

katy and taylor have been very local compared to gaga and rihanna. and rihanna has twice as many albums and singles as gaga so ofc she has a bit more.

Remember that you are unique. Like everyone else.

malazam

Emmm Katy sold more than 120m for sure...thats 72 million are just in the USA.

X FACTOR UK: 11m albums and 81m singles sales without 'PRISM' era...

another shot before we kiss the other side

Rihanna ​(Mainstream debut: 2005)

- 150 million+ records (30 million albums, 120 million digital tracks) sold worldwide, as the lead artist (as Nov. 2013 via MTV)

- 240 million+ records (50 million albums, 190 million digital tracks) sold worldwide, as the lead and featured (as of Nov. 2013 via RocNation)

How do Rihanna's album stats jump 20 million depending on whether she's the lead artist or featured? Singles are one thing, but it's either your album or it isn't.

Economy

i say albums should count for more points than a single... (a single is like 1 tenth of the album material and cost)

so taking that into account, Taylor must be about to surpass Gaga

How do Rihanna's album stats jump 20 million depending on whether she's the lead artist or featured? Singles are one thing, but it's either your album or it isn't.

They've also most likely included the albums wherein she's featured through the album tracks. Eminem's Recovery (2010) alone has claimed WW sales of 10 million. That's the most logical reason I can think of for them to come up with 50 million albums "sold". 

Emmm Katy sold more than 120m for sure...thats 72 million are just in the USA.

X FACTOR UK: 11m albums and 81m singles sales without 'PRISM' era...

Katy Perry's total single sales in the US are at 61 million at the very minimum, and that's excluding her other digital songs. If we include the latest reported sales of her album tracks, she's at 63.7M US digital songs sales at the very least. That 72M in the US are based on RIAA certifications, which have included stream equivalents and are not strictly digital sales. 

Anyway, found a 2013 article from MTV UK supporting the X Factor UK's numbers. The October 2014 articles reporting the 2015 Super Bowl's half-time show have also used these numbers, despite the October 2014 issue of Harper's Bazaar of which KP was featured and interviewed. Updated KP's numbers then to 11 million albums and 81 million singles, as of November 2013 (via MTV).  

i say albums should count for more points than a single... (a single is like 1 tenth of the album material and cost)

so taking that into account, Taylor must be about to surpass Gaga

Ideal, but that's not how worldwide record sales are usually counted and presented to the media. By record sales, it's including every unit moved of any commercially distributed recorded material (i.e. albums, singles, album tracks, music videos, et.al) in the same way on how The Beatles' claimed worldwide record sales total to "1 billion" (via RollingStone) or how Elvis Presley's estimated worldwide record sales total to "1 billion" as well (via Elvis' official site).

As the popularity of streaming increases, the more album sales would decline, and the more digital song sales would multiply - showing that the priority has clearly shifted from moving albums to moving individual songs. And with absolute streaming, this priority could notably change too - from actually purchasing digital songs to just strictly streaming songs. Notice how RIAA has included streaming into their certification programs. I wouldn't be surprised if twenty years from now, streams would become the bulk of "record sales", even though it's not technically a "sale" since the access to music has become at no retail cost (e.g. VEVO).  

Archived